Tuesday, June 28, 2016

6 Week Post Partum Fit Check In

I am now six weeks into post partum fitness and 12 weeks post partum. Whoa. Baby time is light years ahead of pregnant time. Over the last four weeks, we have settled into a much more predicable sleeping pattern with Rafe, which has made my work outs much more predictable, and possible.

This picture just because Rafe's such a little stud
Fitting in Fitness is for sure a challenge <--- understatement.  I'm blessed with a few things that have made fitness at this early stage a possibility for me: an amazing hands on husband, and a baby who sleeps at night (we aren't quite STTN just yet. more on that later).



As I suspected while I was pregnant, I don't want to go to the gym after work. I want to go home and be with my family. Over the last six weeks,I've had to be flexible and patient. I didn't work out everyday. If the work out didn't fit, then well, it didn't fit. Onto the next day. What I have been able to do is make my workouts count.

I've been focusing on a lot of HIIT routines consisting of 20-30 minutes of intense effort. This strategy is paying off! I was able to shave nearly three minutes off my 5k road time in 6 weeks and without logging a bunch of road miles.

I've pulled work outs together from a variety of different resources. Jamie Eason's Post Pregnancy series, Pinterest, and most recently, Blonde Ponytail's 30 Day Trainer.  To measure my progress, once a week, I complete an old favorite 55 Minute Incline Walk/Run routine, increasing my run pace each week. The goal is work back up to designated run pace, and I'm not there yet, but getting close. Last week intervals were 6.3/6.8. The 5 AM Club work outs are fitting in quite nicely. I feel like I am getting so much stronger, my endurance has made leaps and bounds and it shows in the road run times! Feels great to be moving in a 10 minute mile again. Last week I ran ONE mile under a 10 minute pace. Sometimes I can't believe I was ever running half marathons in the 9 minute mile range, but I know what once was can be again, with consistent work and effort. 

                     5k Time 6 Weeks PP on the Left                 5k Time 12 Weeks PP on the Right



Real talk, I'm so glad I have fitness as a focus because the scale and I are not seeing eye to eye. I'm trying my best to be kind to myself as I work on this post patrum body. It's a struggle for me. The more time goes on, the less kind I am able to be to myself. I find myself picking apart my imperfections in the mirrors at the gym or avoiding my reflection all together. I'm focusing on all of my insecurities instead of all of the positives, I do know there are many. 9 months on, 9 months off. I know this. I've honestly forgotten just how trying active weight loss is, and I'm struggle busing.  I do know that if I keep at it, the numbers will come, and my skinny jeans will fit once more. I think I can, I think I can, I think I can...

Email me


No comments:

Post a Comment