Thursday, January 28, 2016

Week 30: Hanging Up the Run Kicks + 35 Minute Incline Walk

Well ya'll, it finally happened. I had to call time on pregnant running. I feel incredibly fortunate that I was able to run right up until week 30. I had hoped to be able to continue to run circuits through to the end, but my sciatic nerve pain started raring up. I've been having issues with my sciatic nerve for about a year now, I tweaked it doing dead-lifts last winter, that were honestly just to heavy for me at the time, aka form suffered. From time to time it would flare up and get agitated but nothing to the point of unmanageable. I was fairly certain pregnancy would agitate it at some point, and alas, it has.

My last pregnant run, I was feeling good, really good. I ran a 5k on the treadmill, wiped the sweat off my face, and felt a-maz-ing. When I got off the treadmill and started to walk, however I could tell something wasn't right. By the time I got home, I couldn't even walk from the car to the door. Special thanks to Nick for literally carrying me through this one. Every time I put any weight on my left leg, I felt a searing pain from my back down through my heel. No bueno doesn't even begin to cover it. Nick got me inside and onto the couch What did you do to yourself?! I waited until he walked away, and then thoroughly embarrassed,  I crawled on all fours through my house to my bathroom. Thankfully, I was able to keep off of my feet the remainder of the evening, and I was able to walk it out the next day. However, the incident left me terrified to run again. If you've ever had sciatic nerve pain, you know it ain't no joke.

It's really challenging for me not to run however, I'm focusing on the things I can do. I can do the stair master, I can do the elliptical, and I can incline walk like a complete boss. Here's a 35 minute routine I did this week



Everyday I find my work outs get more and more challenging. I find I tire more quickly and with less effort. My body is noticeably softer. Staying motivated has been a real challenge and some days it takes all of my willpower to get in a work out. That said, I know that staying active will benefit me in the long run. The finish line is in sight. Just keep swimming.

Email me


3 comments:

  1. Making it to 30 weeks is incredible! I only made it to about 22, I think. I hadn't ever had problems with my sciatic and it was intense! Fortunately, it went away after I delivered. Don't worry, you will be running again in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm amazed at how far you made it, that's really awesome! You'll be running again in no time after Baby Noel makes his debut! Take care of yourself girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh so close! I am amazed how long you were able to continue running. You rock mama!

    ReplyDelete