Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Dogs on the Run, POTM Check In

When we first brought Nacho and Nola home, I always knew I wanted them to run with me. I also knew I had to wait until they were a little bit older to get them out hitting the pavement with me. Nacho and Nola will be 8 months old next week, I was told by our vet to wait until they were 6 months old to start taking them out on short runs with me. At that point, I would need to work them up in distance, just like a human would need to, to prevent injury. 

The vet also informed me that they can "pretty much go all day. Just don't run sub 8 minute miles with them for an extended amount of time" I've run one sub 8 minute mile outdoors in my life. One. So we'll be all good in this hood.

Tuesday afternoon I ran a two mile loop once with each pup. Real talk- I can't handle them both at the same time on my own. It took about  a half mile for each  to settle in once we got going. Prior to the half mile mark, they do a lot of puppy stuff. Jumping for joy, we've never been this far from home before!, sniffing all the things in wonder, criss-crossing me every other minute, puppy stuff. We need to work on commands like "leave it" and "heel" but overall I had a lot of fun running with them, and they clearly enjoyed running with me. Nacho wasn't ready to call it quits at the end of his loop. I may take them again on Thursday. 

Creepy Glow eyes for the win

After the run, I didn't feel like driving to the gym, so I completed the following circuit, using ten pound dumbbells and an exercise ball. You really don't need a gym membership to be fit. Just some determination!

10 Bicep Curls
10 Shoulder Servers
10 Deep Squats with a shoulder press
10 ReverseFlys
15 Tricep Extensions
20 Weighted Crunches
10 Ball Jack knifes
5 Oblique ball jackknifes per side

Repeat four times

In other news, this past weekend was the last stop for Jessica on her way to I Do! Danielle and I hosted a Bridal Shower for her, more on that tomorrow. See- things pinned put into practice. It's the final countdown to the wedding! 

Pleased as punch with our par-tay!
November 5 and I'm 12 miles into my 100 mile challenge. 88 miles to go! Are you participating in the POTM challenge? 

The Cajun Cup is this Saturday, and I am amped up for a race! Shocker It feels like forever since I've run a race. This will be my third year participating in this event. Makes me feel like I'm really in the club :) Playlist Friday? Me thinks so

Email me

Daily Motivator


1 comment:

  1. Your pups are so cute!! And 100 miles...youre a rock star...I pledged 25 - ha :) Oh well, Im restarting my running journey, so I wanted to choose a realistic pledge :)

    ReplyDelete