Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Why I Don't Like Transformation Tuesday

I've been plotting this post for a few weeks now, as I keep seeing some of the same transformation posts that really irritate me. It's the Tuesday of Transformations ya'll. Let me start by saying, I don't wake up every Tuesday and think "Ugh. All those transformation pictures will dominate my social media feeds today. Ba humbug!" 

To clarify, I LOVE seeing, hearing, reading, talking, liking, and commenting on an individuals personal body transformation success. It's inspiring to me at every single stage in the weight loss process. I actually don't think you should ever feel like you have to wait until Tuesday to toot your own horn. If it's Friday and you're feeling fly, broadcast that shiz! You don't have to share the spotlight with so many others that way, know what I'm sayin? 

For me personally, at the stage I'm at right now, I don't want or need a weekly a reminder of this girl:


I will never forget that she used to exist. I lived in her skin for years, she's a part of me. I don't need weekly photographic evidence of our time together. 

It's like going through a bad break up, and years later finding pictures of that ex you wish never happened. You wouldn't continuously pull out their picture and hold it up next to a picture of your new romantic partner,.Ahhh look at how far I've come! Or maybe you would, I wouldn't. Back in the dusty box or into the trashcan. Move on!

 While I am very proud of what I've been able to accomplish, and maintain, I can't move forward and progress if I'm constantly looking in the rear veiw mirror. I've put over weight, self conscience Leigh Ann in the past and moved on. That's exactly where I want that girl to be, in the past. That's my personal reason for lack of participation in Transformation Tuesday. 

So which part irritates her? I'm confused.

I see these irritating Transformation posts more often than I'd care to admit. They really grind my gears and get under my skin. 

I don't like Transformation posts that are misleading, edited, or falsified. I see them weekly, sometimes daily, and they seriously get under my skin. I would never ever knock anyone's progress, but in this day and age of filters, slenderizing aps, spray tans, selfies, and optimal angles, we have to think more critically about the images we are bombarded with. 

As human beings, we obviously take and post pictures of ourselves in the most flattering light. There's nothing wrong with that. Social media is your highlight reel honey, you betta work. 



However, when posting pictures proclaiming short term transformation (1-3 months progress), fat loss, muscle gain, etc, the poster has a moral obligation to their readers and followers to be transparent and forthcoming. Period. No Excuses.

Newsflash: everything you read/see on the internet isn't true, honest, forthcoming, or transparent. Don't compare your progress to someone elses, ever. Here's one of my favorite examples of misleading transformation pictures from blogger MelVFitness. Before you start looking at someone's short term progress/transformation ask yourself these questions:

1. Is the person standing the same distance from the camera in both pictures?
2. Is the person wearing the same cloths in both pictures?
3. Is the lighting the same in both pictures?
4. Is the person standing in exactly the same position in both pictures?

I completely understand why people post these types of pictures. They're working hard and want to report any and all progress, no matter how small. They're feeling great that day, and want to share that picture where they feel like they're looking fly. I get that. These pictures agitate me largely due to the fact that it's providing a skewed view to the reader.

Don't knock yourself and your perceived lack of progress based on these images we all see floating around the Weight loss, health, and fitness pages on all social media. Work hard, stay determined, and you will see results. Nothing worth having happens over night or in three short months. Just sayin.


Email me

Daily Motivator




32 comments:

  1. LOVE. THIS. POST. I know I don't ever want to put a picture out there, that is supposed to be "inspiring" or "motivating" if all it is, is smoke and mirrors. I try so hard to wear the same thing and get the same angle, if it is a short term progress pic. Because why lie to YOURSELF! I mean I NEED to see, what I, really look like. It's what keeps me....motivated. You rock girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally understand what you're saying!! You have def come along way!! You're awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This! I agree with all of these things. One of my agitators is when someone posts a progress picture and they are pregnant in the before. Sister, there is another human inside you! There is no need to try so hard for transformation Tuesday. Really, I'm not in the fitness/weight loss game to compete. I hope we all win!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree. The ones that bug me most are the before picture of a pregnant woman and a current picture of their fit self. I mean, you were PREGNANT - not over weight necessarily. Just irks me. I do like seeing the random photos of before and after because it does take a lot of time and work but every week? No, just no.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen, Sista'! There has been sooo much of that junk around lately.

    I also love the part about not needing to relive who you used to be etc... You can't move forward with your future if you keep looking back to the past constantly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is my absolute favorite quote/image. I hate the transformation Tuesday too, because like you said "If it's Friday and you're feeling fly, broadcast that shiz." I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're my hero! Though I do typically like transformation pictures because often times I see no difference in myself until I do a side-by-side or I might need a "look how far you've come" reminder, but I try to make sure they are cropped at similar places on the body, etc. Also, you bet your sweet ass I'll fess up if I feel like a picture is working a flattering angle. I know what I look like in the mirror and I'm not going to lie...errrr...mislead others into thinking I look different than I do. You're amazing, you're inspiring, and I adore you just for being you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. First off you were/are stunning at any weight. Inside and out.

    Secondly there are FAR too many bloggers out there who dominate social media with misleading images and suggestions. So many women (myself included) can lose focus of what THEY are trying to accomplish by viewing those images.

    Sometimes I feel silly posting my before and after photos because it's been 10 years since I lost all of my weight. Yes, it was nearly 200#s but I have been this version of me for longer than I was that version.

    Currently I am working on the internal transformation versus the external. Can't really photograph that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Elle Noel nails it again!!! Love this point of view. We all love a good before and after, but no need for overkill :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this!!!! I sometimes see the pictures and think why can't I do that in a short period of time. I get upset so I eat. I am getting better but I love seeing posts like this saying I am a real person and worked my tail off to be healthy and you can do this too!!!! Thank you for that! You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I love your face!! Right on girl. Be inspiring and be real!!!! Transformations are inspiring but TRUE transformations:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Preach on sister!!! �������� Enough of the BS!

    ReplyDelete
  13. AMEN. They grind my gears also. You keep being you please.

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS!!!! I pretty much avoid IG & FB completely on Tues b/c of this! AMEN!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know it shouldn't bother me, but I get especially annoyed when someone posts a before pic when they are 9 months pregnant, and then an after pic and bragging on all the weight they lost, never mind that a good chunk of that was a human life! Whatevs, do whatever makes you feel better about yourself, I guess. I once commented on someone's pic (something I rarely do, but was feelin' frisky that day) who had her 9 month prego body as her "before" pic, that it wasn't exactly a fair representation of her transformation, and was basically cussed out on IG, so I don't comment anymore. To each their own, right?!

    ReplyDelete
  16. "Social media is your highlight reel honey, you betta work"....best line ever! lol.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Completely agree! I quit instagram because I was sick of the fake reality everyone put on there. So artificial!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great post! I love how genuine your message is. As a society, we push ourselves to unrealistic expectations and then we are puzzled why we don't feel fulfilled. To me, Transformation Tuesday is let me find that day I gave birth pic and compare it to me now. Oh wait, here is a pic of me leaving the hospital after being up all night and compare that to the pic of me 4 years later where I slept all night and actually cared what I was wearing and had Spanx on and a tan and a filter and great angle. Then I will throw in a bunch of hashtags with how I lost 60 lbs!

    Thanks for reminding people that just because it is on the internet doesn't make it real.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great post :) Shoot, I wouldnt know how to edit a picture if someone paid me to do it - I put collages together but I never go any further, isnt that cheating? Isnt the reason we do this so we dont have to cheat ourselves anymore? Shaking my head!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great post - Filters do help at times, but I agree if you are doing a short term comparison you should have no filter and be wearing the same clothes. For transformation pics for challenges I try to wear the same clothes and the same camera and have my husband stand in the same spot in the living room.

    I usually do transformations of a year or more because I don't see a difference in the month to month stuff. Thanks for sharing Mel's article - I will now be looking at Transformation photos more closely lol

    ReplyDelete
  21. I loooooooooove this post {and you.} I can't stand the slanted mirrors, different clothing, filters etc. It especially gets under my skin when people question a picture and the poster gives no response. It's like we don't notice and are made to feel stupid. I just wish people were more authentic. Sadly, some people will cling on to any social media celebrity no matter how much bs they post.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is so true! Have you seen the article about 4 women getting magazine model makeovers and then being photoshopped? Its pretty amazing because once its done to themselves they didn't like it! Goes to show you how much things are altered!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love this post! MamaLaughlin is the first person that came to mind! Your progress show! WTG! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I hope MamaLaughlin reads this and takes note! Likely not...she's too busy with her creative lighting/filters/angles and she's only hurting herself. It's sad, because I followed her for a long time and she used to be so genuine and motivating but I no longer follow because it's just so ridiculous how she keeps going with the lies and refuses to clarify anything or even give advice to followers. Glad to see you are keeping it real. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I broke one of these rules in posting a sort-of transformation pic just the other day on IG (wearing different clothing). I honestly didn't think about it at all--was just having a hard day, and needed to see a reminder of non-scale victories, so I snapped a pic in what I happened to be wearing. But you're right--these are all good and important points, and next time I'll try to think about them more!

    ReplyDelete
  26. What an awesome post! I've only just started reading more weight loss blogs, social media, etc and I never thought about the transformation pictures we see out there!

    ReplyDelete