Thursday, April 24, 2014

Low Carb Meal Ideas

Most of us really love carbs. We like them to dip in salsa, we like them surrounding a hamburger, we like them mashed, we like them mixed in with corn, we like them with beans, we like them with all things Mexican, we like them in pasta, we like them with all the cheeses, we like them with pizza, we like them in dessert. Carbs = comfort.

Carbs are not bad. The right kinds of carbs and whole grains fuel an active life style. We need carbs to survive. That said, from my personal experience, the easiest way to drop weight is to cut daily carb counts. That's not to say I don't eat carbs. I do. I allow myself two-three servings everyday. Whether it's oatmeal in the morning, a sweet potato at lunch, brown rice with a favorite dish, or ,my personal favorite, popcorn which I literally could never live without, varies day to day. I try to put together meals with low carb counts that are still incredibly filling. Here are a few of my current favorite go to dishes:

Sam's Club Asian Stir Fry is a hot item right now. It's delicious, low calorie, low carb, super filling, and my husband will eat it too.

Great for Lunch & Dinner

Any white fish is a great source of protein and a low source of fat. Below I made tilapia with asparagus (side of sweet potato. I started baking fish in foil packets with my veggies. 350 for 30 minutes. Mmmmm good


Do not underestimate the power of the cauliflower. It is one of the more versatile veggies. Below is cauliflower mashed "potatoes", veggies, and ground turkey.


Jamie Eason's Turkey Muffins, Walden Farms ketchup, side of veggies. These turkey muffins taste like mini meatloaf. My husband, who is just plain sick of turkey, was picking these off my plate the other night. They are DELICIOUS. Everything I've ever made from a Jamie Eason recipe has been delicious.



Let's move onto Breakfast. It is the best meal of the day. Cause it's first. If you ain't first your last


Egg white omelette, stuffed with spinach and melted string cheese, side of strawberries


Chocolate protein waffle with a side of homemade fig preserves. Compliments of my Mother in Law!

There are so many different recipes available for the protein waffle. If you have protein powder on hand a quick #proteinwaffle search on Instagram will pull up a million and two recipes for you to choose from. That's exactly how I found the one above!

Snacks, these are two of my favorites. 


The Quest Bar. All Hail the Quest Bar. Turkey Perky Jerky 
(brand found at Target)

What are your go to low carb meals?


Email me

Daily Motivator


3 comments:

  1. A fave of mine is spaghetti with "zoodles" aka zucchini noodles - I actually like it better than spaghetti squash, which is another great option. Another super yummy one is the Philly Cheesesteak stuffed bell peppers from peace love low carb! Oh and Ree Drummond's chicken taco salad - soooo yummy! There are also a TON of paleo protein pancakes/waffles, but I just don't have time for all that in the morning, so I usually alternate between green eggs (spinach and scrambled eggs), bacon and a little fruit or a green monster smoothie. Looking forward to reading other people's ideas :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Perky Jerky! The spicy one is my fave! I always keep it in my desk as a snack at work.
    I really need to try a Quest bar, I hear everyone raving about them! I will have to try those Turkey muffins - my husband has almost forgiven me for switching out the ground beef for turkey! Maybe that will be my redemption recipe!

    Holly
    sunshineandgrey.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made those turkey muffins thinking they would be a filling breakfast snack. They are delicious but not breakfast food. We used the remainder as meatballs ;)

    ReplyDelete