Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Leg Work Outs & Nacho News

Legs are easily my favorite muscle group to train. I feel consistently sore for days after I work legs, which tells me I'm doing something right! Commonly asked question, How do you put together a great leg work out?

First let me say, I am new to lifting. I am learning every single day, and I struggle with trusting this process. I constantly have to remind myself that muscle will make me leaner. That I don't need to run for an hour a day three days a week, and two hours on Saturday. That all that running is actually counter productive to my lean out goal. It's a struggle for me, because I had a lot of success losing weight literally running my ass off. I can talk running all day. I feel confident in running.

I do not yet feel confident in lifting. I know it works. I see it all around me. Switching gears has been challenging for me. I think we all like doing things we're good at, part of the reason I like running so much, it makes me feel good, and I know what I'm doing. However, I know it wasn't always like that. In time, I'll feel less like a new born giraffe in the weight room.



I like to go into the gym with a plan. I feel more challenged following a work out someone else has put together, and less overwhelmed by all of the different equipment options. I've been loosely following Jamie Eason's Live Fit phase two for a weeks now (More on this tomorrow). This is my second week to follow the program to a T, forcing myself to let go of all that cardio. The program calls for two leg days a week, and no cardio on leg day. I honestly struggle with any type of cardio following leg day, but I do find the first leg day work out of the week to leave me with the longest lasting soreness. I frequently feel sore before even leaving the gym. How ya derin. Gimme those results!

Here are three of the work outs that have been favorites for me:





This is my last week training in Phase Two, and I'm not going to lie, I'm intimidated by Phase 3. One step at a time. More on my hybrid  Phase two plan tomorrow!

Nacho News:

I just can't go a week without talking about Nacho! Nacho has quickly bonded with us, everyday becoming more confident in his surroundings. Nacho is super smart, and is quickly catching on to potty training. We are house training Nacho utilizing a crate. Nacho sleeps in his crate, and he stays in his crate while we are at work. I was concerned crate training would be dramatic, for all of us. However, Nacho continues to amaze, and is doing well with his crate, dare I say it, he enjoys the crate! We've made it our mission to exhaust him before bed time, before we leave for work, and on our lunch break. We play with him for hours on end, encouraging him to stay awake. We're establishing the crate as his space, and we do not bother him while he's in the crate. However, when he's out of the crate, it's full on play time!

Nacho plays...
Our methods seem to be working as he's been willingly going into the crate at night. Last night, he had his first night accident free! He's never had a number two accident, such a good boy, but his little bladder is small so he is struggling with holding it for long amounts of time. However, he's getting better every day. I'm so proud of Nacho!

Nacho Sleeps
Nacho is dominating our schedules at present. I've been hitting the gym early each morning, as after work all I really want to do is spend time with him. I am definitely one of those people now, and proud of it! I talk to Nacho, I sing to Nacho, I play with Nacho every free second, and I think every thing he's ever done it down right adorable. I'm thoroughly enjoying this puppy stage, even though it is exhausting. Can I get a caffeine drip? Is that an option?

We're all loving this Spring weather right?! I really wanted to go sleeveless today, lean mean muscle machine, but man oh man has it been a long winter. This girl needs some vitamin D! 


Happy Hump Day people!

Email me

Daily Motivator




5 comments:

  1. Welcome to the world of being a mom! You think about them all day while you are at work and all you want to do is go home and spend time with them afterwards! Your outfit is super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you are a great dog mom! I sing to my dog too. And kiss him. And talk baby-talk to him. So glad Nacho is fitting into your family ~ he's adorable!
    xoxo
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww I love that you are happy being a dog mom!! He will get to LOVE his crate. That is the point, and it's a great thing to start them right off the bat like you guys are. So the big question - how is your kitty doing with this new creature in her house??

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been following your blog since last summer, when my friend recommended it to me. I love you personality, and thank you for sharing you thoughts and life with all of us! You helped inspire me to start my own blog, and after much sweat, literally and figuratively, I did! I hope you check it out! It's funny, informative, useful, and happy, with fitness, diet, running, and recharging tips! I even have some free workout videos. Thanks again for always keeping it real. You look amazing! Take care. Will be "seeing" you. : ) Jessica Joy http://www.thefitswitch.org/ I would LOVE to hear what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we all love hearing about him and seeing him as much as you love talking about him! :)

    He is beyond cute! So glad things are working out so well!!! You are making me want another puppy and I don't need 5 animals! :)

    ReplyDelete