Thursday, April 10, 2014

Blogging: Why am I Doing This?

Oh lookie there it's been a week with no posting. Sowwy. In the whole realm of blogging, I've been consistently inconsistent lately. I've been spending a lot of time thinking about the following questions:

Where am I going to go with this little blog I've built? 
How long can I realistically keep this up? 
What am I going to keep talking about? 
Why am I doing this? 
Most importantly what am I going to keep talking about?

I didn't put much thought into my actions when I started this blog. I just kind of did it one day, almost two years ago. Phew that happened fast. If I'm being totally transparent, hell why not, I started writing this blog because I had just started selling Beachbody products and needed a platform to reach a broader audience.

Disclaimer: I no longer am affiliated with Beachbody or any other Multi Level Marketing company, and I have NO DESIRE to sell anyone's stuff, so please don't ask. It makes life awkward.

I found out quickly that I was really really really bad emphasis on the bad Beachbody saleswoman. I hated being pushed to recruit my friends to sell (which I literally never did. Not one person), and I could never justify the cost of Beachbody's products to potential customers. Every time someone said to me, I'm on a tight budget but I really want to make changes. I hate my body and I don't know where to start. 

My heart would crack into a million itty bitty soft pieces, and I'd say "This is what you do, it'll be ten times cheaper and you'll get the same results" I'm pretty sure Drug Emporium, GNC, and Bodybuilding.com should put me on their Christmas card list. I definitely lost money in the Beachbody scheme. What I did discover, is that I really enjoyed blogging. 

I loved meeting new people. I loved the exchange of ideas. I loved the encouragement from others. I loved the free exchange of conversation it opened up in my real life: ya know, legit interpersonal communication with real life humans. 

I can't even begin to describe how many people I encounter on a day to day basis, who I literally NEVER knew had interest in health or fitness. The blog has been an incredible connector for me. When I was having a hard time with my own slow progress, the constant uplifting and positive feedback propelled me forward. I loved the safe place the blog offered me to express my own feelings as I underwent the final stages of a total, and I mean total, life overall.

When I think back through the past year, I had one  yo-yo spell, due to amenorhea and two rounds of some serious hormones (I wouldn't wish this experience on anyone) , but overall my body has pretty much stayed the same. This is what makes weight loss blogging so difficult long term: What do I write about when things are the same? Sure, I'm a faster runner, I'm an overall stronger person, but physically, I'm wearing all the same cloths. I see the same reflection in the mirror. 

That's when it dawned on me. Holy kanolies that is an accomplishment. 

I can't ever remember any time in my adult life where my weight consistently stayed the same from one year to the next. It's always moved actively in one direction or the other. Toot toot beep beep on that front.

Left: April 2013: Flexing and Looking Smug in a Gym Selfie.
Right: April 2014:
 Flexing and Looking Smug in a Gym Selfie.

I still feel plagued by the question: Where does Elle Noel, the blog, go from here?

The biggest thing I've learned from conversations with other bloggers, is that a lot of bloggers pre plan their material. This will probably come as no surprise, but this is how I plan Elle Noel: 

Wake up in the morning. 
What do I want to write about? 
Do I have pictures for the post? 
Do I have time to write this before work? Proof reading whateverrrr

That's it. That's my thought process.

Because I do love this space I've created, for me to be me, and well, I just can't quit you Elle Noel, I'm going to try a new tactic. I'm going to begin outlining posts topics a week in advance, and that's what I'm going to write about. Preplanning my weekly work outs has worked incredibly well for me, so ummm why not? If anyone wants to pose questions for topic material, that'd be great too. There is no such thing as a bad idea. Wait a second...



Friday:
Elle Noel's Weekly Favorite Internet Memes (Group Participation is strongly encouraged)

Monday:
LOPA 5k Recap

Tuesday:
Why I Don't Like Transformation Tuesday

Wednesday:
Nacho Noel Update

Thursday:
Abs are made in the kitchen: What does that even mean?

Friday:
Elle Noel's Weekly Favorite Internet Memes (Group Participation is strongly encouraged)


But first, let me take a selfie.




Email me

Daily Motivator




11 comments:

  1. YAY! So glad you're back! I hope having a little editorial calendar helps you and your blog space becomes more of a stress-reliever than a stress-or in the mornings!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad youre back lady... Love the meme idea! haha!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, hello there! I hope your schedule helps you, they sounds like great topics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know what's funny? I totally made a schedule, too, but as soon as I made the schedule, I strayed from it because I had SO many ideas! I've found that it's more helpful to just have a list of ideas and start crossing 'em off. Either way, I'm super pumped to keep reading one of my favorite blogs -- Elle Noel! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I signed up to be a beachbody coach 2 weeks ago and quickly realized that it was not for me - I felt the same way you did. I do not want to push products (especially expensive ones) on my friends. I would rather suggest Jillian's $10 dvd.

    ReplyDelete
  6. #selfie !!! Love that song! haha

    I am just like you - no pre-planning just get up and write... it flows ya know? I blog mostly for myself (selfish) because if I put it out there for the universe - to potentially see - or the few people who do read it to see it helps hold me accountable... but that's me. You are a bad ass either way - congrats on a year of maintaining even with an injury! You are kicking butt and taking names!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tried to sell Beauticontrol Products before and sucked at it too! I gave my discount to my mom and whoever else wanted to order from me because I felt bad charging them full price when I didn't pay full price. I never pushed it on anyone, I never tried to get any of my friends to have a party to try and sell it...I eventually quit too!

    I say come here and write about whatever you want to write about. It doesn't have to just be about weight loss or fitness..it's your blog you do what you want!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I struggle with this same thing! I've tried to pre-plan, but I never seem to have time to get that next post even started!

    ReplyDelete
  9. YAY! Can't wait to read the "Why I hate transformation Tuesday" post! Intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love, love, love your posts even when things are the same so I hope you'll continue. Thanks for the little bit about Beachbody, too. I was considering jumping in, but I think I'll save my time and money for other endeavors!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Leigh Ann, I've been reading your blog for over a year now (yep, I'm one of those silent stalkers), and I actually had a question for you. I'm 23 and in the last year and a half have lost 40 lbs and have been maintaining for the last 6 months. In the last couple of months I have gone off of my birth control and have been taking hormones because my hormones were so low. I have gained between 8-10 pounds and have since stopped the hormones but I am having a hard time getting this weight back off. I just remembered from this post that you have also had the same struggle with hormones, or at least a similar experience, and I was looking for some advice on how I can get the ball rolling again. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

    ReplyDelete