Thursday, February 27, 2014

Beat Treadmill Boredom

I am happy to report that my knee has caused me ZERO pain during my runs this week. I haven't trusted my knee enough to head outdoors, as I'm still fearful I'll get far from home base and have to call for back up. No beuno. As of today right now, I do plan to take my long run to the street this Saturday morning. I am so incredibly excited about it too. This knee injury has been the PITS, a major bummer to say the least, BUT it has made me appreciate being able to run. I remember why I love to run so much. I'm amped up for a long run this weekend!

This week I've stayed indoors on the treadmill. The dreadmill. Don Don Don. Running the human hamster wheel is the ultimate in boring. The furthest I'm willing to run is 5 miles, and I have to have a plan when I step on the machine. I can not set the machine to 6.2 and zonk out for 50 minutes. I start thinking  pound pound pound pound, foot foot foot foot, when. is. this. gonna. end....oh 30 seconds went by! Awesome sauce.

Here were my run routines from this week. The last mile always feels very challenging. I'm usually thinking the faster you run the sooner it's over, I can do this. I can do this! I will do this! I know if I want to get better, I'll have to get uncomfortable.Increasing speed by distance gives me something to focus on, besides how bored I am, or how much I want to go ask the girl four treadmills down where she bought her run top because lord knows I have enough stuff! 




The winner from yesterday's giveaway will be announced tomorrow. If you haven't thrown your name into the hat, you still have time to enter here.

How do you beat treadmill boredom?

Email me

Daily Motivator



3 comments:

  1. Glad to hear your knee is treating you better! Best of luck running outside this weekend! Thanks for this workout, I am going to print it out for the next time I have to get on the hated hamster wheel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I play games with speed/time to beat boredom too! Usually I start at 6.1 and every 2 minutes 30 seconds I increase my speed by .1 until I get to speed 7. Then I go back down .1 every 2 minutes 30 seconds until I'm back at speed 6.1. That puts you right at 47 min 30 seconds and I usually walk the last bit until I hit 50 minutes.

    It's tough but time flies because you are constantly changing the speed!

    I'm going to print off and use your speed/time games for my 5 mile run tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the treadmill is my tv/movie time!

    ReplyDelete