Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Nothin but a knee thang baybay

Thank you all so much for the overwhelmingly supportive and positive response to my Marathon that wasn't post. I struggled with how honest I wanted to be in how hard that day was, and I'm glad I laid it all out. My honesty earned Elle Noel her best day yet, and it made me, Leigh Ann, the real person behind this blog, feel  incredibly uplifted and special for so many to reach out to me and express empathy about my story. Sunday wasn't my best day, but I am proud of myself for finishing the half marathon. It was ugly, but it got done!

What did the knee doc have to say? They took an x-ray, yanked my knee around in every which possible way, tried to get me to say uncle poking at the spot that hurts, and by all accounts, I have normal 26 year old knees. I am , however, double jointed. I've gone 26 years without ever getting that official diagnosis, but according to the doctor, it basically means I'm made "loose". His word not mine.There's an infinite amount of jokes available there so take your pick. Basically, I have an excess range of motion in all of my joints. I hyper extended my knee and have inflamed cartilage surrounding my knee cap. These types of injuries are also common in basketball players and volley ball players, both sports that I have played. 

My knee injury boils down to over use. Running is a repetitive high impact activity that's hard on the joints, and these types of injuries are to be anticipated with increasing mileage. . Too many miles, too frequently, not enough rest. He asked if I planned to continue running long term, and my answer is positively absolutely yes. I love to run. If I can, I will. He thinks we'll be having this conversation again in the future, and eventually, I may need surgery on the area that's inflamed presently. For now, I'm free to start training again when it stops hurting. 

If it starts hurting again, I'm to stop immediately, and ice, compress, rest, repeat. No running on an injury. Yes, it was necessary to say that to me. If it doesn't start hurting, I can resume training for another marathon. I know it must sound crazy, but running the marathon is something that I HAVE to do. At the expo on Saturday, when I was all high on life knowing I was going to kill it race day, I signed up to run another marathon March 30th. I'd like to plan to resume a training plan and make that race.

For now, walking is an issue so that plan is on pause. Low impact activity, rest, and recovery. He also recommended I take up yoga and Pilates to stay thin. I had to giggle. If my only reason for running was to manage my weight, I could give it up. 

How do you explain to someone who doesn't run, why you need to run?

I run because I love to run.  I love the way it makes me feel. When my brain is fried from work and life stress, running puts it all the small stuff into its insignificant place. It clears my head and brings me peace. Running makes me incredibly happy. I can't give it up. It's a part of me now. 

Email me

Daily Motivator


13 comments:

  1. That sounds like pretty good news compared to what it could have been! So glad it's nothing super serious and that you don't need surgery (at least not for now)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great news Leigh Ann! I hope you heal quickly and ease back into running injury free! If you get the itch for another marathon, I'm running the Rock N Roll Raleigh in April :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great news! I have been thinking about you the last couple of days. I love your attitude!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yay! Such great news! I have been praying for you since Sunday! I guess it's time to work on that whole patience thing, and I guess work on those guns :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally understand. I love to run but due to my double jointednes, I have issues with my knees and hips. Strange. My hip has caused me to cancel my first half in February. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is amazing news! So excited for you and your double jointed-ness ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such good news!! And you really can't make a person who doesn't run understand running. They just won't get it until they do it...and even then it's iffy, LOL;) Finding a doctor who runs may be a good idea too. I hope this plan for March works out for you- I completely am empathetic to having to KEEP training and KEEP pushing after you were suppose to be a marathoner. Your time will come!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have very similar knee problems! I'm super tall and loose-jointed, not to mention play a million sports, so I've been there. I have something called patella femoral disorder?

    But anyway - I am SO glad you don't need surgery and can continue to run! Look into getting a brace. I have one and it's helped TREMENDOUSLY. You're still my hero, ya know :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sooo happy your knee is ultimately OK!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahhh I'm built loose too. I tend to feel it in my lower back. My PT explained it that normal people will move 5 parts to take a step and I move 25. So there is a lot of unnecessary movements going on and it causes me to hurt myself. He said I can't consciously fix it I just have to get stronger. Good luck feeling better! My right knee is starting to hurt too and I'm wondering if it is a hyper extended thing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Go easy on yourself, heheh. At least the diagnosis is a relief. What a properly constituted health care can do for you, with all the service and facilities that go into the equation.

    Clinton @ US Health Works - Spokane Valley Center

    ReplyDelete