Monday, December 23, 2013

Blogging Hiatus & Marathon Training Updates

Hey there...remember me?! I apologize for my extended blogging black out. What started as a one day ain't got nothing to say kinda day grew into two weeks off from blog world. I spent a lot of time thinking about whether or not I want to continue writing about my health and fitness story here. Recently, blogging had come to feel like a chore I had to complete. Get dressed, take a picture. Go to the gym take a picture. Post on Instagram. Cook dinner, take a picture. Weigh in, document a loss or a gain. Piece together a post and promote. What do the readers want to hear from me? I shouldn't write XYZ because that's not what readers want from me. Over-thinking everything 

It can be difficult to come up with new material and not be overly simplistic, repetitive, unimaginative, and extremely self congratulatory (insert all those dang selfies). I've decided I will continue to write here, as I get so much positivity and motivation from my space here. I can't imagine completing the marathon and NOT writing about it. I can't imagine abandoning this blog which has been so incredibly positive for me personally. I'm fairly certain I will never be a professional blogger. Let's be real, I can't even be bothered to upgrade from cell phone pictures or learn to use Twitter proficiently, and I probably never will. I started writing here on a complete whim. A slow day for me, and the blog morphed into this animal I never knew I wanted. I put a lot of pressure on myself in my real life to be perfect. Obviously, this is an impossible standard and no one will ever be perfect, and it's led to some disappointment recently. I needed to take a break, reevaluate and come back here with a clear head, focusing on what's really important for me to write about here. I must admit, it was so nice to hear from so many of you checking to see if I was ok, and what's up with the Elle Noel radio silence?! It's always nice to know you've been missed so thank you all! Who knows, after so much time off, I could be writing to a bunch of crickets. Just kidding, I know you're reading this Mom!

Marathon Training Week 15:

Mileage during marathon training actually peaked during week 11. My long run that week was a big ole 18 miler. The 18 mile run felt better than the 17 mile run and overall, I was feeling encouraged by my progress. That said, my body never recovered from that 18 mile run. I started having issues with my left foot, and those issues traveled up my left leg. My entire leg is a mess. I knew I was having major issues but I continued to push myself through each run. My pace continued to suffer but I wasn't willing to give it a rest. I'm hard headed to a fault, and I battle with Is this a real injury and Am I being a wuss? I'm also having nutritional issues, and this is causing bathroom issues. I'll let you read between the lines there. I have a hard time allowing myself more calories and carbs. Obviously with my history as a yo-yo dieter, I'm terrified of gaining weight. While I understand many people gain weight during marathon training the opposite has happened with me. I've tried carb loading the day before a long run, however it's not enough in the nutrition department. I've been forced to accept I will need to eat more carbs from now until the marathon on a daily basis. All that said, over the last two weeks I brought my mileage down, and my left leg is feeling much much better. I am not giving up this marathon dream. I will run this race on January 19th. My body has struggled with each increasing distance, but I've always made it to the finish line. Long distance running doesn't come naturally to me, but I am willing to work hard, bend when necessary, and persevere. There are no words to describe how desperately I want to cross that finish line in January.

Week 15 Training Plan:

Monday:
5k Light Run

Tuesday:
5 Mile RUn
Strength

Wednesday:
5 Mile Run
JM  Home Work Out

Thursday:
5 Mile Run
Strength 

Friday:
Cross Training
Strength

Saturday:
20 Mile Run

Sunday:
Rest/Recover




Email me

Daily Motivator


7 comments:

  1. The holidays are hectic for us all! Welcome back - you were missed! :)

    I am sorry you are having more injury issues - and good luck on your 20 miler this week!!! Is that your long before the marathon! I cant believe its almost January - you are going to do great on your marathon! I am glad yours is before mine - it will help push me to cross my own finish line in Feb! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Girl! Glad you are back! No matter what you write, I'm checking it! Merry Christmas & Happy New Year - you will rock that Marathon - I just know it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck on your 20 miler! My marathon was a hot mess lol, but I'm still glad I did it. My biggest advice, DON'T catch a cold like I did :) Glad you're staying in the blogging game :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad you are sticking around! I absolutely get what you are saying about blogging becoming a chore, yet the positives out weigh the negatives!

    ReplyDelete