Wednesday, November 6, 2013

What's in a Running Song?

Marathon training has me burning through music, fast fast. Currently, I have my playlist loaded with 100 plus songs, hit shuffle and roll out!  I always run with music. I ran one 3 mile run without, just one time, and nope nada not for me. When running with others, I'll keep one head phone in and carry on conversations. However, when a run gets tough, I need my tunes! I like to throw new songs into the mix and frequently. Running 30 miles a week means I more frequently need new material. Thankfully, I'm not the only one, hello internet how I love you, and there's lots of music sharing going on in the trenches of run season!

A run song needs to fall into one of three categories to inspire me. Here is the breakdown of my crazy inner monologue and newish examples from each category:

1. Remind me of how far I've come. Any song pertaining to perseverance or over coming adversity lights a big fire within me. 

Muse- Uprising
Kelly Clarkson- Dark Side
Avicii- Wake Me Up
Zedd- Clarity (feat. Foxes)

2. Remind me of someone I love and good times we've had: my husband, my Mom, my family and friends. Thinking about the people I love makes me happy. For obvious reasons :)

 Jason Derulo- Marry Me
One Direction- Story of My Life
Katy Perry- Birthday
Beyonce- Love on Top

3. Remind me that I am one bad ass chick. Even though I'm an average, middle class, run of the mill girl, there is a mean hood rat inside clawing to get out. In my head on mile seven, I'm the baddest bitch in town! Run HARD!

Eminmen- The Monster (feat. Rihanna)
2 Chainz & Wiz Khalifa- We Own It (Fast & Furious)
Mike Will Made It- 23 (feat. Miley Cyrus, Wiz Khalifa & Juicy J)
Kat Dahlia- Gangsta

What songs inspire you?


Email me

Daily Motivator


6 comments:

  1. I like a good mix but sometimes I like music that keeps my mind off what I'm doing where I just really get into it and listen to the song. I mouth the words when I'm running and it's like singing in the shower :)

    Recently, I'm really digging Selena Gomez - Slow Down (much to my boyfriend's...chagrin)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 3rd category are my fav kinds of running songs, hands down!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I simply like something that makes me want to move. But I'm super picky when it comes to "running/jogging" songs ... I MUST match the beat with my pace exactly. Some songs are walking songs, some songs are 5mph songs, some are 6 mph songs (I don't really go faster than that for any extended length of time), others may be good for cleaning the kitchen (that doesn't require a specific beat). Anyone else weird that way?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ummm. I'm really loving Katy Perry's - Unconditional, Miss Movin' On- Fifth Harmony, Stay The Night - Zedd, Bezerk - Eminem. A light that never comes - Linkn Park
    And that I added some old school hard stuff. Love Bites-Halestorm, Thunderstruck - AC/DC, Fighter - Xtina, When I Grown Up - Pussycat Dolls. I know not so old school but nothing from this past year.
    So proud of you girl!!! You're doing awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Make sure you check out Bootie Jams. They post free mashups on their blog every month for you to download. Amazing running music.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My current favorites right now are "Demons" by Imagine Dragons, "Bezerk" by Eminem, "Harlem" by New Politics, "All Night" by Icona Pop, "Pompeii" by Bastille, "A Light that Never Comes" by Linkin Park, "Team" by Lorde, and my girl Ke$sha and my man Pit Bull's "Timber". My go to songs are always "Sound of Madness" by Shine Down and "Bad Romance" by Lady Gaga-those two songs have carried me through many miles and many races.

    ReplyDelete