Monday, October 21, 2013

Full Marathon Training Week One: Fears & Faith

Full Marathon training, this week will mark my first week. I used last week as a recovery week post half marathon training, with one 4 mile run on Friday. It felt just kinda ok, so I opted to rest my running legs over the weekend. Resting for me is challenging, but worth it as I'm feeling nearly 100% this Monday morning. 

For my first full marathon, I am following Hal Higdon's Novice 2 training program. Hal Higdon has yet to lead me wrong as I used his programs to build up to each long distance over the past year, feeling strong and prepared on race day. I'm technically three weeks ahead of schedule as I've already run my half marathon, but I'm going to drop back and pick up with week 6. Currently, 12 weeks out from race day (oh snap that just got real).

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't intimidated by the marathon. I am. I'm scared of some of these long training runs. I know I can do it, but I'm still apprehensive. 8 mile weekday runs, sound like a lot of mileage to me. The big 20 mile training run has me shaking in my K Swiss. I remember feeling this way at the beginning of each journey to 10k training and then half marathon training. I'd be lying if I said I'm all rainbows and sunshine going into training for this race. I'm a little terrified. Sometimes when I'm in my car, I clock 26.2 on and it makes me so nervous I could pull out of this race all together. 26.2 miles is a long way ya'll. I don't drive that many miles in one day. I'm afraid I'll get injured. I'm afraid that if I do get injured, I'll be unable to work out, and then I'll gain weight. That I'll back slide into old behaviors.True confessions- that's my biggest fear associated with the marathon. These are all very real concerns I have.

However, for every fear, there is faith. Faith in my abilities. Faith in my determination to succeed. Faith in the training. Faith in how very far I have already come. I find the best things that have happened to me in life, have come from stepping into what I fear. Embracing fear, and finding that it ain't all that scary, and in those situations, I find myself growing stronger in every way. 

Both fear and faith are propelling me into this next journey in my life. While, I can't predict the outcome, I know the experience will be life changing. Full marathon training round one, is officially under way!

Weekly Work Out Goals:

Monday:
Cross Training

Tuesday:
3 Mile Run
Strength

Wednesday:
6 Mile Run
Strength

Thursday:
3 Mile Run
Strength

Friday:
Cross Training

Saturday:
9 Mile Run
Strength

Email me

Daily Motivator

7 comments:

  1. I think I could have written this post myself. I have the EXACT same fears. Getting injured is the biggest fear most definitely. I am over halfway through with my marathon training and what I can tell you now is to take it ONE run at a time. If you need to rest, rest. I have missed 2 of the runs on schedule(both were midweek short runs) and it helped to miss them. I truly am nervous but am excited and anticipate the long runs. Marking another one off the list is an incredible feeling. I always think "did I really just do that?" I still can't believe it. You can do this. It is mentally challenging as well as being very physically challenging. I know you LOVE a challenge too- you got this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to following your training! I'm currently 7 weeks out from my first marathon. Just did 18 last weekend. Those long training runs aren't as bad as you think. My advice is to get a running buddy, or have people meet you for certain portions of you longs runs. If you're starting to feel injured, cut down on the miles in the middle of the week rather than your long runs.

    Good luck! You'll do great!

    -Em

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I want to say is how much I just love you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are the bomb.com and I totally can relate to all this except you are a little further in the game than I am ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You will be amazing, train smart to avoid injuries and youll be fine :) Good luck!! Im starting all over again and Im ok with that :) I did not do training as I should have and this time I will :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You gave got this. Your posts are so inspiring every day. I had the same fears when I trained for my races too. Especially the weight gain, ugh. I promise it will be worth it in the end. Thanks to your motivation I have been getting out and running more after some terrible training in the spring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok girl if I can do a marathon you've got this! Number one rule that I've talked to every marathon runner I know is don't over train which will lead to injuries. They all said don't run more than 22 miles. I'm not sure what your training plan says but some have you run the full 26.2 before your race. Don't do it. Number two race day have a support system at mile 10, and 18. Mile 18 is the hardest mile ever. Get past that and your golden. If I can do it and I'm not even close to your level if fitness. You can do it. It's all in your head. I'm excited for you!

    www.beautifullyakward01.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am with you on the fears. Those were my worst fears when I trained for my first full marathon and I came out of it without any injuries. Just some missing toe nails and lots of blisters. I am training for my second marathon now and I feel a lot more confident this go around. Although 20 miles and 26 miles is still no walk in the park for me, they are not nearly as scary to think about anymore. You will do great on your marathon! I can't wait to read about it!

    ReplyDelete