Tuesday, October 29, 2013

DIY- Vanity Make Over

My only DIY post- I shouldn't say my only, but they will be so few and far between you'll forget about this one should I ever decide to do something like this again. Back in July, my family got together at my G's house and while we were there, decided to help her clean out her garage. During this process there were so many goodies my cousins and I were itching to take home, as my G no longer had use for these items. 

There is one piece in G's garage that I have had my eyes on for years. I was about 10 years old when I first asked if I could take it home, and the response was if you can get it out, then it's yours! The vanity had been sitting in the garage supporting other odds and ends that are no longer useful daily just taking up space. This trip, I was finally able to take the vanity home with me. G thought I was crazay for wanting to put this furniture in my house, and honestly none of my cousins fought me on it either. Perks of being the oldest (a-hem the most crazy). I've always seen something magical in this piece of furniture, I knew a little TLC could bring it a long way.


Fast forward to October, the vanity is sitting in my kitchen collecting MY junk. Feeling like the joke was seriously on me, I decided to get my rear in gear and take control. First things first, I searched the blog world for inspiration. I like clean crisp neutrals, with feminine accents and after a few quick Google searches, I discovered the perfect color for my piece. Losing approximately three hours of my life buried in Virginia's blog Live Love DIY, I ultimately decided to use the same color she used on this piece.

Mr. Noel lent me some man muscle and together we dug in to sand down the vanity, which at one point was lime green. Gotta love the 70's baby!



I followed Virginia's suggestion then priming, painting, and sealing the vanity. I know this furniture will be a high traffic zone for me as I fully intend to use it daily.

Primer: Zinsser 3-2-1 
Paint: Behr Marina Isle Sealer: Polycrylic Protective Finish High Gloss
This project was incredibly easy. I completed one step per night over the course of the last week, so it never felt overwhelming. Probably the biggest issues with this project, was finding a mirror to go with my new vanity. I have to give props to Mr. Noel who spent nearly all day Saturday searching for the perfect mirror with me. He stood with me in several stores while I debated finishes, shapes, sizes, and ultimately what would look the best in our current living situation, easily transitioning in the future. In the future, I may find a larger mirror and use this one else where. 

My running shoes never see the inside of the closet :)
I found my hardware at Lowes, Straburst Mirror from Target, paint and supplies from Home Depot. I used a $3 sample of Behr Flat Paint in Marina Isle for this entire piece. The most expensive part of this project was the mirror, all and all this project cost me just shy of $80. I absolutely adore this table. It's extra special to me as it belonged to my Grandparents, and I'm so happy to have it in my home. It makes me feel like a part of them is with me always. I am 100% cheesy and sentimental, you know you love it! 

True confessions, I'm already plotting other pieces that I can breathe fresh life into. Don't worry though, running and all things weight loss will forever dominate this blog. 

Are you a do it your-selfer?!

Email me

Daily Motivator


8 comments:

  1. LOVE it!!!! I am a DIY'er but its been a good minute since I have done anything- this makes me want to though!!! So I will tell the hubs its your fault when I find my next project! I really enjoy doing this stuff myself too, but we have been crazy busy on weekends, I do like the idea of do one part each night... that would work for us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes me want to paint something. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE how it turned out and so special because it belonged to your grandparents. Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the light green color - it looks great! I'm not quite a DIY-er but I'm doing the favors and welcome bags for our wedding. As far as furniture or another big project, nope lol but I'd like to try something that like!

    ReplyDelete
  5. IM the least crafty person on the planet, and I think this looks marvelous :) Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. that turned out so cute!
    I am horrible and the opposite of a crafty DIY-er. I wish I could be more awesome with that stuff but I am really impatient haha

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey nice post meh, You are one of the best writers I've seen of recent. I love your style of blogging here. this post reminds me of an equally interesting post that I read some time ago on Daniel Uyi's blog: Nothing Extraordinary About Successful People .
    keep up the good work friend. I will be back to read more of your posts.

    Regards

    ReplyDelete
  8. Buy and sell new and used modern, outdoor, office, bedroom and home furniture.
    Choose from a great selection of gently used furniture for every room in your home.
    More here here

    ReplyDelete