Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Bye Bye Humidity and Carb Loading Experimentation

FINALLY! The humidity has lifted, and just like that I felt my legs fly out from underneath me. Monday evening's four mile run reminded me why I love pounding the pavement. The temperature was right at 80, however the dry air made the entire experience infinitely more enjoyable. It's possible for a distance runner to get runners high from a four mile run, because I most certainly did! High humidity had been affecting every aspect of my run including my heart rate which stayed consistently high during all summer training. Which plays a huge, massive factor in long term endurance. I like to keep my heart rate between 160-168 while running, and it's been at a consistent 175-185 through out training for this half marathon. Talk about exhausting. 

Monday evening I ran for the first time after work in months! Man oh man did it feel good. The sun was shining, I could see where I was going, fab-u-lous!!! Oh the little things :) This was the first run in MONTHS when I haven't hit my distance goal and slapped "stop" on my watch. I actual ran 4.5 miles and felt incredibly energized for strength training! This is my time of year to shine! I'm so happy the humidity is coming down, it's making my speed come up up up!

AWESOME Monday work out! 
This week, I'm experimenting with carb loading. AKA fueling the body with extra carbs for long run endurance. I used to think carb loading meant eating a heaping pile of pasta the night before a race, which is what I did the night before the Rock n Roll, and everything went according to plan. FYI- I have every intention of eating whole wheat pasta Friday night as well! Calories schmalories! 

Presently, I monitor the carbs I eat in all foods, not just bread and bread products. Working with Ashley Leahy taught me a lot about counting carbs to shed fat, and now my daily focus is to keep my carb count under my protein count while keeping my calories right around 1400 per day. I find it's easier for me to shed fat when keeping my numbers in this range.

When I'm eating to maintain I eat at 1800 (with exercise) 1400 on a rest day. When I'm eating to lose I eat at 1400 (with exercise) and 1200 without (rest day), UNLESS it's long run day, then I allow myself 1800-2000 and I call that high carb day a-hem Faturday Saturday. 

This is the everyday goal, I'm not saying it always happens or that I'm always perfect. I'm not always perfect and it doesn't always happen as planned. I do not beat myself on days when I don't make this happen! Live and learn, tomorrow is a new day!

This week, I am maintaining my focused calorie goal, however I'm allowing my carb count to be higher than my protein count. This may all seem really complicated, but it works for me. I have been monitoring daily food intake for a long span of time, and found shedding fat/weight to get more complicated the less you have to lose. Presently, I am trying to lose weight, not maintain, so I'm eating the lower count and fat is coming off! I got close to my 18% body fat goal, before I fell off over the summer, and I have not lost sight of this goal. Right now my body fat is at 21%. This is in the fitness/normal range, however it's not quite my personal happy place. I really want to see that 18% flashing up at me! However, this week, we carb load, and I'm loving it!

Monday Night Dinner- Gumbo over Brown Rice
I'm contemplating breaking out boots and tights for our weekend in NOLA. It may be a little early for that down south, but I don't care. If you ain't first yer last, Ricky Bobby style.

Feeling pretty this Tuesday :)

Have a great day boss ladies and gents!


Email me

Daily Motivator


9 comments:

  1. I can't wait for your run on Sat... YAY!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My company is taking us to NOLA for a long weekend, it would be crazy if I saw you! I have been reading your blog for about 6 months. Do you have any suggestions for bars/restaurants/activities? Email me if you get a chance - jennifermwhitney22387@gmail.com. Good luck with your race!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you going to the packet pick up Friday afternoon? I am planning to head over and get my stuff then so that Saturday morning isn't too stressful! I am flying into Nola Friday morning and hope we can meet up at some point!

    I am also eating more carbs this week, and enjoying it, too much probably! LOVE carbs!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously, I need you to explain to me how to keep my carb count under my protein countabd see if that helps me. This last 16 baby weight is being so darn stubborn. Also, what do you try and keep your carbs to daily!??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stoked about your run on Saturday. I know Positive Patty is going to be out in full force and rock that half!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Between you and Melissa Folz I am finding that I am so ready for this cough to go away so I can go RUN!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy your run was awesome and thanks for breaking down your calories :) Nosy Nelly says hey!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am also feeling like a running superstar with the humidity being knocked down! My split times have gone down by at least a minute and in some cases 1.30! I have even been running a couple of negative splits! That didn't happen all summer. Good luck on your race and I can't wait to hear/read all about it. I am also pulling a Ricky Bobby style and wearing leggings with boots this week! If you ain't first, you're last! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. hey nice post meh, I love your style of blogging here. this post reminds me of an equally interesting post that I read some time ago on Daniel Uyi's blog: Get A Girl .
    keep up the good work friend. I will be back to read more of your posts.

    Regards

    ReplyDelete