Friday, June 14, 2013

Summer Sick = WOMP!

I've been MIA from blog world for two whole days now. Did ya miss me? Pfff whateves I bet no one even noticed! Two days is a year in digital time!

Update: I'm battling the nastiest summer cold I have ever had in my entire life. Coincidentally, this is also the biggest week in my professional life, and I've been trying to mask said cold for fear of being sent home from work. Ain't no body got time for dat.

The nasty cold feeling began setting in Tuesday afternoon. I decided to take a rest day from the gym. My honey and I celebrated our second anniversary with peanut butter M&M's and popcorn while watching the strangest Tom Hanks film ever made, Cloud Atlas. If you like feeling a little bit lost, this movie is for you. I made it half way through before the NyQuil took me down at 7:30pm (Happy Anniversary honey!).

Wednesday: First thoughts waking up, How will I ever survive this day? The achy sore fever induced feeling, coupled with a raw scratchy throat, would become my personal hell for days. Still, I got dressed, slapped a weak smile on my face, and put in a ten hour day. Coffee works miracles. I still decided to try and work out that afternoon though. Worst idea ever.


I made it through about 30 minutes of my leg routine and had to stop. I don't know if I've ever felt so defeated. I know resting when your body is screaming for a break is intelligent, but the guilt I felt over skipping the gym Tuesday pushed me there Wednesday. I haven't been able to exercise since.

It's very important to note, that when I'm sick, I do not care about what I eat. Not one little bit.

Thursday night we had Chinese for dinner. I had grilled shrimp in veggies with some noodles and rice. Not the worst choice as far as Chinese food goes. I justified this meal to myself as I ate next to nothing all day Thursday. Not a smart choice either. 

Why am I telling you this? Because I'm human too. This was my worst eating and exercise week (aside from summer vacation weeks- then I regret nothing) since my whole journey began. I feel miserable this morning. Not only because of the lingering remnants of this nasty stubborn summer cold, but because I haven't exercised, AND I ate trash this week. Eat like trash =  feel like trash.

As I'm devouring my Chinese dinner, because I'm starving since I had Quest Bar for Breakfast and a protein shake for lunch, I get to my fortune cookie. I eat it without hesitation. I've always had this thing with fortune cookies. You have to eat the entire cookie BEFORE reading your fortune. I did just that. Dang that was a good fortune cookie. There it was, my daily motivator had found me, when I'd avoided it.

Touche Fortune Cookie Wisdom, Touche!
I hope and pray I feel well enough to get in some exercise Friday or Saturday. The moral of this story is however, when your body is screaming for some rest. It's ok to take a step back. It's also ok to fall off the wagon and grab every peanut butter M&M you can get your hands on on the way down.

As long as you get back up and try again. That's exactly what I intend to do starting today.

Find me on FacebookBeachbodyPinterest, Instagram @ellenoelfitnessKeek, and My Fitness Pal!

Daily Motivator


22 comments:

  1. Oh poor girl. I was just going to email you and see how you were. I was missing my daily dose of Elle. I hope you feel better fast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness I hope you feel better soon! And try to be nicer to yourself you're a pretty awesome little lady and just as the saying goes, one bad meal won't make you gain 50 lbs just like one good meal won't make you lose 50 lbs :) be nice to yourself :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Take care of yourself and I hope you feel better soon! For what it's worth I missed seeing your daily posts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great motivator :) #fortunecookiewisdom lol

    I was sick too (stomach flu, omg) and definitely had a huge chinese food dinner (though mine wasn't a lighter version like you lol), justified by the fact I hadn't eaten in two days...yeah, I used and abused this flu to eat a straight carb diet for a couple days too haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you feel better! Being down and out is NO FUN! Keep resting up and don't beat yourself up :) One bad week with not change all the hard work you've done over the past year!!

    It's good to know you are a human too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you're feeling better! I hate summer colds, they are the worst! But we are all human! Looks like those Chinese may know a thing or two, LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you're feeling better girl, those summer colds are no fun!! Especially when the weather is so nice outside. Thank you thank you for sharing the reality of things too, we all mess up but your fortune cookie got you back on track!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you feel better Mrs. Noel! And I am the same way- sick= no conscience thoughts at all to what goes in my mouth. and PB M&M's are my fave!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you're feeling better! That sounds terrible. I've never had to endure a summer cold, but I had a summer flu last year and it was not pretty. Getting the flu or a cold in June is a form of cruel and unusual punishment!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Summer colds are the worst! I hope that you are feeling better very soon.
    The Grass Skirt

    ReplyDelete
  11. A break from the gym will do nothing to your lady guns, I promise you! Treat yoself until you feel well again and then when you start back up your kick-ass healthy habits, you'll have lost no ground! In fact, a week of resting might be the perfect thing to keep your body guessing--change is good for a body! Hope you're feel much, much better! And by the way, I totally noticed your absence from Blogland. Missed my Leigh Ann!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I missed you!! Hope you feel better soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Feel better soon! I've got the same crud this week. Just felt like death! I've worked through it too...had to deliver a boat. My coworkers have nicknamed me Rudolf through this.... Yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope you're feeling like your self again soon! I'm right there with you with food while I'm sick. This line absolutely cracked me up!!! "It's also ok to fall off the wagon and grab every peanut butter M&M you can get your hands on on the way down." Hope you do have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sore throat and fever sounds more like Strep than a cold:( Feel better soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Colds are only allowed on rainy days or winter months. It's so defeating when you just want to work out that cold but your body wont allow it.

    I eat my fortune cookies the same way! I fear that if I read my fortune BEFORE eating my cookie, it won't be true.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hope you feel better soon and get to enjoy the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Get well soon! And the fortune cookie was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I hope you were able to rest some this weekend and feel better! Its no good being sick, and hey we are all human- just pick yourself up and try again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey there - just catching up on some blogs . . . sure hope you are feeling better . . .

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hope you're feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete