Thursday, May 23, 2013

Why the Early AM Work Out ROCKS!

FAQ: How do you have so much time to work out? Do you ever skip? I don't have time, I make time. Working Out is a top priority. I always make time for my daily, a few times a week even twice daily, work outs. No excuses. The early morning work out aka the 4:45am alarm time. I get asked a lot how to make this happen. Why would you want to wake up so early to work out?! I could never.


First off, yes you can (I'll give you some of my tips), and here's a list of reasons why you should!


  1. The early morning work out sets up an extremely productive day!  It gives me time to center my thoughts,mapping out a plan of action for what I need to accomplish that day, and gives me an overall peace of mind before starting off the work day! Multiple studies show that morning exercise increases brain functionality and productivity. Google "benefits to morning exercise" and see how many times this one pops up. Morning exercise fills me with the positive energy I need to grab the day by the horns and run it my way!
  2. No Distractions- When I wake up and head to the gym at 5am, I will not be distracted by the social scene happening there, because well, there isn't one. People are not, generally speaking, super social at 5am. Sure I still see people I know at the gym during this time, however, everyone working out with the early morning crew is there to work! My cell phone isn't ringing, no one is texting me, my husband isn't bugging me about what's for dinner, I'm not stressing about making it to the nail salon before it closes (I do realize this is not a real problem), or worrying about how much time I have left in the evening to do laundry etc. My mind is free from distraction!
  3. The Morning Run- First thing in the morning, I can really push myself during a treadmill routine, speed training, a short run, or a long run. Part of me thinks this is because my brain isn't fully awake and functioning properly enough to lodge it's complaints. Running is as much mental as physical. The other part of me thinks I'm just more of a morning runner.
  4. Get it Done- Putting in your work out first thing in the morning clears your day. Your work out is done, and it's not even breakfast time yet. Unless you're running frequent two a days, like some other crazy lady who shall not be named, you've just freed up the remainder of your day! Before you even have time to rationalize how you can talk yourself out of working out (cause it's so early and your brain is asleep) you're done for the day. Awesome-Sauce!
  5. Proven Statistics- Over 90% of people who work out in the morning, are consistent exercisers. Consistency is essential in yielding results- that's the part we all want! Results!
  6. Better Sleep- Morning work outs set me up to sleep like a rock. No tossing and turning, no waking up in the middle of the night, head to pillow and off to dream land. Since I began early morning work outs with consistency in early 2012, I've noticed a major increase in how easily I fall asleep and how well I stay asleep. I find my sleep efficiency to have increased as well, meaning I'm not spending time sleeping in or running late. Even on the weekends my internal alarm goes off and it's time to take on the day! Dare I say it- I've turned into a morning person. Now a days, I hate wasting a day sleeping. No one finds this more comical than my Mom. Remember when you would sleep till noon every Saturday?! I never thought you'd be out of bed at 7 on the weekend! I was always the last down stairs at family get togethers, vacation etc. Now I'm first. Times they are a changin! (See number one- increased productivity!)
Ok so all this info is fine and dandy but how do you even start getting your booty OUT of the bed early in the morning?! 

  1. Set your work out cloths out the night before so that all you have to do is put feet to floor, get dressed, grab water, and hit the door! Plan, prepare, succeed
  2. Tell someone you're going to be there. Accountability. Peer Pressure can be positive!
  3. Set a goal for the week- I will make the early morning work out three times this week. Reward yourself with a relaxing afternoon- like a pedicure after work!
  4. Fun alarm tags, we've all seen them. A funny alarm can be very motivating! My favorite right now states, "Forrest Gump can run for three years, you got 30 minutes this morning"
  5. Be stronger than your excuses. Your excuses are the only thing holding you back! Seriously. Shut it down! Will power is a muscle, the more you flex it, the stronger it gets!
Prior to early 2012, I was NEVER an early morning gym person. I was a sleep in ohhh I'll do it later, kinda person. More often than not, do it later turns into, didn't do it at all. You gotta ask yourself, How bad do I want this? How hard am I willing to work? It's all up to you!

Find me on FacebookBeachbodyPinterest, Instagram @ellenoelfitnessKeek, and My Fitness Pal!

Daily Motivator


21 comments:

  1. I've recently jumped on the early morning workout train too! :) I've noticed that almost ALL of the equipment at my gym is open at 5, so it makes my workout much quicker than trying to work around the other people in the gym.

    I whole heartedly agree that it sets the rest of your day up for AWESOME! You've already done the hard part for the day, it's all down hill from there! :)

    Madi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you find you have to go to bed pretty early to wake up that early?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm up at 4:30 a.m. every day to work out and find that I have to go to bed before 10:00 in order to make that happen. Last night I was tempted to hit the sack at 7:30 -- but made it until 9:00. :)

      Delete
  3. I love these tips! I've really been struggling to get a morning workout in! I usually set the alarm and then snooze it and say I'll just work out in the afternoon. Even though I usually do workout in the afternoon, I always feel rushed and I'm always stressing about getting it done. I WANT TO BE A MORNING WORKOUT PERSON!

    What did you do when you FIRST decided to be a morning person back in 2012?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Similar to your "Get It Done" benefit is the "No Excuses" one. If I schedule workouts for the afternoon or evening, it seems something always comes up: a meeting for work, a volunteer opportunity, a must-go-to happy hour, etc. If I schedule it for 5 a.m. (which has been consistent lately), there is nothing to interfere! No excuses! I love it.

    I also love how I sometimes forget that I've worked out in the morning and then feel guilty when I'm off work early and just chilling at home. You're right about not being awake enough for your brain to register exactly what you're doing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm still trying to find this balance. My issue is my gym opens at 5am and I need to be back at home to get ready by 5:30-5:45 at the latest. So that only gives me 20-30 minutes to work out. I can get a good cardio session in but I can't do my weight training. So that sets me up for 2 a days a lot!!! Which is overwhelming. I would like to commit to 2 days a week mornings of just cardio.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for this! I need to start getting my butt up early because I honestly don't have any other time to get a workout in! My bed is just so comfy;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yup!! I particularly love the aspect of having the whole rest of my day cleared, meaning I can get MORE STUFF DONE! I love getting stuff done.

    I think I need to be more consistent about these early mornings so I can test your better sleep theory. I am not a super good sleeper so that's verrrry interesting to me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel great after a morning workout - it is getting out of bed that kills me :) I do prefer to get it done in the morning otherwise I have to shower twice in one day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just love this whole list of reasons, I'm definitely a new member to the early am gym club but I love that it's done and it really starts your day out right, you're awesome-sauce! :) Looks like I'll be dragging Kara out of bed during our lake vacay for some early morning runs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How early do you have to go to bed to get out of it at 4:45? Because holy bananas, that is early!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I miss my morning workouts! It is so so so true that it makes the day better and I would get so much more done.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Was seriously just talking about my lack of motivation! I'm paying for the gym and Pilates! terrible! Going to have to find some motivation quickly! But I know I feel best when I workout in the morning. It is over and done with. Thank you for the reminders!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really need to start doing this.. Living 25 miles from town the gym is out of the question but since I want to start running more I have no excuse not to get moving down my dirt road every morning. I have the same question as everyone else though... how early do you have to go to bed?? I go to bed before 10 about 90% of the time and wake up at 6am. IT KILLS ME. I am always so tired. (I also try to limit caffeine though) I do have a goal of getting up at 5am every weekday for a month though and I am bound and determined to do it.. even if it makes me soo sleepy all day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I needed to read this! I have been reading your blog for a couple months and I love how you always point out the excuses for not working out. I am bad about this. "I don't feel like waking up early...I can run at 10 am when the kids are in school...I'll do it tomorrow..." I am going to start training for a marathon in June and need to get serious! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. preach it sista!!! LOVE IT!!!
    XOXO
    Elisha

    ReplyDelete
  16. Another great post I agree with 100%. People tell me I'm crazy for getting up at 3:30am to exercise. But you know what, it's the only time of day I don't have distraction or excuses not to do it! And I too love just getting it done and over with. I wouldn't say I think working out is fun, but sure makes me feel good and accomplished!

    Take on the day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You know what, I think this week I'll do the 7:20am spin class instead of the 12:10pm one!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for this! The early am is by far the best time of my day to work out, but I have such a very hard time with it!! I love the alarm tag line. That cracks me up!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for this post - inspiration baby, this monday - it's on - and yes I have to work on monday :( Have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awesome post! I get up two times a week for 5:30 a.m. boot camp and you know what, I sleep in my workout clothes! I just get up and put on my socks, shoes and ponytail and out the door! Love your inspiration!

    ReplyDelete