Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Running Gadgets- Can't Get Enough!

Thank you all so much for the sweet birthday wishes! The love just keeps on coming, and I"m feeling so blessed these days! I'm running behind answering emails, please be patient with me! It's important to me that you don't get a little two word response back from me after leaving me such sweet notes :) Also, If you are leaving comments and not getting a reply, it's because you are set to no reply blogger! No bueno! To fix this issue, I've found an awesome tutorial here that makes it simple and easy to get your settings changed.  This way you can start to communicate with the bloggers behind blogs you love! Email me here if you have any questions and I'll try my best to help you out!

Since I began running early 2012, I've been using Nike Running Ap to track my runs. This has been working wonderfully for me, and I'm very pleased with the Ap, however I've been ready to take it up to the next level in terms of run tracking and analysis. Additionally, with marathon training approaching, and long long runs on the horizon, I'm not sure my phone will hold out battery wise with Nike Running and music playing simultaneously  After finished the half marathon, I had about 30 minutes worth of juice left in my phone and then it crashed! AKA 30 minutes to find my friends and family before getting lost in the crowd. Additionally, I've been crazy curious to see exactly how many calories I've been burning on the road, in classes, training on my own, etc. The only way to get an accurate number for calories burned is to use a heart rate monitor! I'm now the proud owner of my very own Garmin Forerunner 110.

Sunday afternoon, Mr. Noel and I took it for a spin on our bikes. We went on a 12 mile ride around town. There were places when I was really busting my buns, and times when we took it slow. The whole time I had my eye on that pace number. I considered it a personal challenge to see how low I could get the average mile on the bike. "I've created a monster" says Mr. Noel. Ohhh it was so fun!!!! We biked for 90 minutes and I burned over 700 calories! I've been syncing my activity and discovering how much I burned in my Monday evening class- RIPPED (556)- and Jillian's Killer Abs DVD (272). Now I'm able to pinpoint my calorie counts inside of My Fitness Pal which I always knew was grossly over estimating calories burned. I'm officially obsessed with this bad boy. I'm personally not great with technology. It just needs to work. This has been very simple for me to learn how to use and sync online. I also happen to live with the master of all things electronic, so that helps too. My Garmin came with the soft strap heart monitor and I literally can not tell it's there. It's unbelievably comfortable!

Another running item I've been itching to get my hands on is the running skort! They are so popular right now, and I've been contemplating getting one for myself. Summer is going to be HOT and I want to be comfortable when pounding that pavement! I was given a gift card to Athleta for my little birthday, and immediately I knew I had to have a skort! I ordered the Run Around Skort in hot pink, big surprise!

Do you have a running skort? What's your favorite Atheta item?


Last but certainly not least- my Road ID is on it's way to me! A friend gave me a gift card to Road ID and this is something I've been meaning to order for myself for safety purposes. Especially with full marathon training on the horizon, it's likely I'll be on my own on the road frequently, and safety is priority number one! Road ID is a small bracelet, shoe tag, necklace, etc that runners/ cyclists wear with detailed personal information, emergency contacts, and health info. Mine lists my full name, birth year, Husband's name and number, my Mom's name and number (ya know in case he's sleeping or something), my allergies (for first responders) , and a motivational saying. Mine reads- Run with Your Heart.


My people have prepared me for Marathon training (heyyy lucky lady!), and I am so excited to get going! Right now I'm maintaining a solid 5-7 mile comfortable base distance. I'm working to improve speed and endurance before I begin official training in July. I'm going to train with Hal Higdon's Half Marathon plan for Intermediate runners. I previously trained with his Novice 2 Plan. After completing my second half on October 12th of this year, I'll pick up the full marathon training plan, Novice 2, on the half Marathon run week, work up to 20 miles and back down three times before completing my first full Marathon on January 19th, 2014. SNAP! There it is, the plan in writing! Hellooo Accountability!

What run gear can you absolutely not live without?

Find me on FacebookBeachbodyPinterest, Instagram @ellenoelfitnessKeek, and My Fitness Pal!

Daily Motivator




22 comments:

  1. Ooh you are making me want a Garmin, like right now! Running skorts, I'm not sure how I feel about them...I'm sure the second you post a selfie of you in one, I'll have to get it!

    That road ID is a great idea - I'll be looking into that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my HRM. I have the Polar FT4 and I love knowing how many calories I'm actually burning. So much better than putting it into MFP. I'm sure you'll love your HRM too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep telling myself to just break down and buy the Garmin but I haven't let myself do it yet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the same garmin and love it!!!! I just bought an Athleta skort, its the Space Dye Contender Skort and I LOVE IT!!! wore it the past 2 weekends for my halfs and it is SUPER comfortable!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a running skort and I love it! I have a polar HR monitor the I really wanted the Garmin but it was out of my price range :) Happy Birthday I'm not sure if I said that to you! I am also behind :) I need to look into this Road ID very smart thinking!!!! I hope you have a fantastic Tuesday!
    XOXO
    Elisha

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have this Garmin and absolutely love it! I love watching my pace to and working harder to keep my heart rate on target.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always suspected that MFP calorie burn amounts was over-exaggerated. I tend to err on the side of caution with that. I got a Polar HR monitor and have not had good luck with getting a connection to stay. I may try my garmin and go with that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for linking to the no reply blogger tutorial, I never knew I was one of them! Good luck with your marathon training, I am still on C25K but I hope to get to where you are one day - I love to run x x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have had my eye on that Garmin for a year now. Trying to convince my hubby that it would be a great Mother's Day and/or Birthday present! I have been a BodyBugg fan for years but the phone app is horrible. I haven't used it in awhile but plan to get it back out and start using it again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm thinking about getting one too.. I like my phone for the music. I didn't use map my run during my half this past weekend so I still had about 60% battery life after nearly 3 hours of running. Hope you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You now have every running accessory I currently use :)

    My favorite running skorts are from lululemon...I can't give a review bc they are a little out of my price range, but they sure make be drool!

    ReplyDelete
  12. First time poster . . . but I stalk regularly! Love all the great information and motivation! Thank you!

    Today I'm most grateful for the no-reply Blogger fix for us Google+ users! I've been trying to figure that out since I started!

    And I just hit order on the Garmin - I've heard so many great reviews and yours just sealed the deal! And I threw in the Shred and the Six Pack JM videos for good measure!

    You are awesome!

    Amy @ getzgirlonfire

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have the Garmin 110 too and I love, love it! I also play the pace game, and like to see how low I can get it for each mile! :) I have a running skort and I love it, it doesn't ride up at all, and keeps me cool in the hot Texas summer! Good luck with marathon training, I know you are going to rock it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just got a Garmin too! I got the forerunner 210 as an early mother's day gift :) One thing I have noticed though, which is kind of a bummer, is that my running app had me at a faster pace and longer distance than what the Garmin says (Like yesterday I ran 8 miles according to garmin, but run keeper said it was 8.18 miles)- whomp whomp :( But, I guess it's better to have the accuracy. Our training plans are almost identical! I will be running the Jazz Half in Nawlins in October - I think you mentioned you were going to run it too?? We should totes meet up! My first marathon will be Dec 9th (I think) in the big D - it's the same race I ran last year as my first half! Anyhoo - love the skort, might have to look into that!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVE my Garmin, and I also could not live without my Spibelt. I have a Road ID, too, and know I should wear it, even though I run with people most of the time, but...I don't know. Also, I'm going to buy a running skort this week -- how funny!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I want a garmin soooo bad, saving up for that bad boy :) Congrats on your training plans, sounds exciting!! Love the skort!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I want a Garmin some kind of bad!!
    And I have also been scouting running skirts. My issue is my chunky thighs...I don't want the shorts parts to ride up!! Gotta find the perfect pair!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I used an app on my phone to train and run my first several half marathons - and that was about all the phone could do. I don't know what I would have done without my Garmin when I was training for my first marathon!! I love it! I use is on all my runs and bike rides now. My newest obsession is my FlipBelt. It holds my phone and my car key around my waist while I'm running (I run alone a lot and always take my phone with me). It's comfortable and doesn't bounce like other belts that I've tried. A Road ID is next on my list. Running gadgets are an obsession - once you start with them you keep going and getting more!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I keep toying with the idea of a Garmin. Did you set your heart rate zones? My resting level is so low that when I have used HRM before it hardly registered or seemed like it wanted my HR too high for a regular burn.
    Happy Birthday lady!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love my RoadID. I'm paranoid about it. lol

    ReplyDelete
  21. Awesome birthday goodies. I live all things Althea. Lol I just hit a running skirt from skirt sports and have yet to use it, but my friend swears by them and it's the only brand she'll buy since she's tried all the others. And thanks for the review in the garmin. I want to get one but I always run with my phone so don't want to carry a bunch of stuff. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I hate how after LONG runs my phone will crash! Makes me scared my runs wont be synced to Nike +.

    ReplyDelete