Thursday, May 9, 2013

New Challenges (Macro what?!) & New Gym Mind Sets

Last week, in my weekly weigh in post, I eluded to a new challenge I'm cooking up! One thing that has helped me to improve and excel throughout my fitness journey to date, has been to constantly reevaluate my plan. Constantly make changes, never allowing myself to get bored or complacent. Lately, I've been a little bored, and if I'm being completely honest, a little discouraged. My goal now is to trim off fat, and tone up! I know that I've pushed my weight loss as far as I can on my own to date. I know without a doubt, I need to get more educated on nutrition. I've been doing a lot of online research, how to eat to trim fat, what to eat, when to eat it, when to eat in relation to my work outs etc. There's a wealth of information out there, but let's be real...a lot of the information contradicts itself, is incredibly complicated, and all the ish is dizzying to me!

I've been quietly trying to monitor my Macro (Macro-nutrients) each day. I say quietly because I am learning as I go here too peeps. I'm no expert! What are macros? That was my first google search. Square one. Macros is just a fancy way of saying Carb/Protien/ Fat intake daily. If you use My Fitness Pal, the ap will calculate your Macros for you and it looks like this...

Inside of My Fitness Pal, select the home button and daily summary. In the upper right hand corner, select the pie chart


I'm struggling to meal plan at a 40/40/20 Ratio
All this info I've been reading online says to aim for a 40/40/20 ratio in order to cut fat,  however this ratio will vary between individuals. Knowledge in hand, I felt like "this is a good place to start!" I've discovered just how difficult it is to plan at this level as carbs and fat are in nearly everything we eat. It's been driving me crazy!

This girl ain't to proud to ask for help, so last week I reached out to someone I've been following on Instagram for quite sometime. Are you on Instagram? You need to be, The internet is awesome! Instagram brought me to Ashley Leahy, she helps women cut body fat and train for Bikini Pro competitions using the Macros nutrition plan. Stick with me now don't get scared!

Ashley helps women to lose weight by teaching them how to eat based on macros and even helps train for Bikini competitions! Now, I'm not saying I want to compete in a bikini competition (ok maybe I do one day cause I think it'd be crazy fun), but head over to Ashley's Instagram@ashleyjobikinipro account and check out these before and afters of women she has helped. The transformations are incredible and inspiring!



I have every confidence Ashley will help me reach my over all body fat percentage goal of 18% without shutting down my life. I am not down for that! Ashley builds out meal and work out plans based on an individuals specific dietary needs, it's not a cookie cutter plan, bye thanks stupid, thanks for your time! Ain't nobody got time fo dat.  Plus, she's got the education to back herself up. Teach me sista, show me the light! On top of all that, she's a complete sweet heart and I pumped up to work with her! If you're interested in seeing what she has to offer feel free to email Ashley here- I know she'd love to hear from you! I'll keep you posted on my personal progress with Before and Afters with all the usual updates!

Reevaluating my work out plans- it all plays a part in that decreased body fat goals! Long time Elle Noel readers will recognize the name Marathon Mary! She is a friend of mine who I met through my gym, Personally Fit! She is the chick who taught me how to run. My 10k training coach!


We've been running together a lot lately, and this girl's body is seriously toning up! Hey I wanna do that! Ya know I had to go a pick her brain. What have you been doing?! I knew the answer before she said it- gotta lift heavy! I'm campaigning for her to start a blog about her own fitness journey- she is inspiring and motivational to everyone she meets. She has been a HUGE inspiration to me personally and I know she could serve as an amazing motivator to many! For now she's over on Instagram (there's that ole Instagram thang again!) dishing out the fit-spiration! Be sure and follow her- you will not regret it!



Phew, lots of info in this post! Yes, this fitness and fat shedding game is getting more complicated, but that's ok! Don't get discouraged, we will figure all this shenanigans out together :) Eye on the prize, keep working hard!

MINT Obsessed OOTD
Find me on FacebookBeachbodyPinterest, Instagram @ellenoelfitnessKeek, and My Fitness Pal!

Daily Motivator




8 comments:

  1. Wow. I think the macro stuff is a bit 'too much' for me right now in my journey, but it's still interesting to read about. I'm still learning to make the right food choices and not to give into temptation all the time, and just LOSE WEIGHT. I know as that happens I can eventually start toning up, but I still have a good ways to go before I get there. One day though - that will be my goal too!! Be toned and (femininely) muscular! (Is femininely a real word? Oh well, I like it...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so awesome and motivating - I mean it! I am just getting focused on eating as clean as possible. Watching my macros would be the next step! Thanks for the insight and I can't wait to see how this works for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to look at my pie chart on MFP too.. it definitely helps to see my list of foods and also the carb, fat, protein break down. But then there's also good and bad fat.. hmm.. when my fat is high it's usually if I've had PB, avocado, olive oil.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is Ashely's program/help expensive?
    I'd totally be interested in hearing and learning and understand about all of that. But I don't want to spend a ton of money yet I'm too lazy to figure it all out myself! :)
    Excuses, excuses!!
    But if you don't mind sharing the cost, I'd appreciate it!
    I am now following both of them on IG!! I love me some good IG inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy crap and here I thought I was eating lower carb. I guess not according to the pie chart. Thks for the education.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is awesome and I know you'll do great all while still continuing to be an inspiration! I love reading your blog and following you on instagram - you provide me with that extra push when I need it! I've definitely been finding myself in a huge rut lately and just last week I injured my hip flexor somehow (after an outdoor run) and so I've definitely been pouting it up since then. Your posts help bring me back to a positive light - THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so awesome and motivating - I mean it! I am just getting focused on eating as clean as possible. Watching my macros would be the next step! Thanks for the insight and I can't wait to see how this works for you!


    Gym in Panchkula

    ReplyDelete