Wednesday, May 15, 2013

My PSA for the Day

Opinions. They're everywhere. Consenting opinions, dissenting opinions, opinions that mostly agree but still don't quite like one another. This applies is all aspects of life. Marriage, child rearing, work, travel, politics, and it some circles, like this one, diet specific opinions. In this arena, we're going to discuss the latter.

I hear opinions on diet floating around me each and every single day. What so and so thinks so and so should or should not be eating. How so and so knows how to lose weight "better/easier/more efficiently" than another person, or how certain methods just don't work and it's their civil obligation to let said person know. 

My diet has changed and evolved over time. The way I eat now is polar opposite to the way I ate when I first started out trying to lose weight. It's different than I ate a year ago, even six months ago. I don't think any singular method was superior to another. At each moment in time, that method was working for me. When one method stopped working, I moved on to the next. One thing I can say with absolute certainty, I put a lot of time and effort into planning how and what I was going to eat. Hence, harsh criticism of my diet felt like a personal attack.

 I have moved on from these feelings. I can see these criticisms for what they are now,"That didn't work for me so it won't work for you" People have constantly given me their opinions on what I'm eating. Whether I asked for it or not. I realize, present day, by writing this blog about my weight loss and fitness journey, I'm asking for opinions and feedback. However, it baffles me when I hear this going on around me in day to day interactions with other people.

Critiquing another person's diet is incredibly personal. It's personal for several reasons, the largest however being, this person has already admitted they're unhappy with their body. So unhappy in fact, they're willing to overhaul their life in an effort to change it. Admitting these feelings is personal, it can make you feel weak in the beginning, transforming into empowered over time. Start at the bottom.... However, imagine so and so comes in with a superior attitude and bashes said plan. Youch! Stick a fork in me and twist it! Unless someone specifically asks me for my opinion, I'm keeping my mouth shut. Here's why:

1. What works for one person may not work for another and vice versa. My way of shedding lbs is in no way superior to the next. If it works for you, go on witcha bad self!

2. Each and every person is different. Each person is living a different life. Each person needs to figure out what works for them individually. Again, see number one.

3. People have to make their own mistakes. It's part of the process. We learn by trial and error. I've always been the type of person who has to learn the hard way. Everyone isn't like that, see number one, but I am. Guess what? That's OK!

4. Focus on yourself. Work on you. If what you're doing really is a superior method, it's going to show in your results. Then people will ask for your opinion. Focus on refining yourself, and the rest falls into place.

Elle Noel's guidelines for diet opinions:

Before critiquing or diet bashing, evaluate the following: Does this person seem motivated and encouraged? Yes. Keep your opinion to yourself.  Does this person seem discouraged and frustrated? Ask if they'd like some help. 

Remember weight loss is a personal journey. Be kind to others. Don't kick them when they're down.

This Public Service Announcement has been brought to you by Elle Noel Fitness- trial and error Queen. We now return to your regularly scheduled programming with killer leg work outs tomorrow!


Find me on FacebookBeachbodyPinterest, Instagram @ellenoelfitnessKeek, and My Fitness Pal!

Daily Motivator


18 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really glad you posted this because 1- I hope you don't stop posting your workout, diet plan, everyday awesomeness! 2- I feel the same way. I keep my food entries hidden on mfp just for this reason. I would say 95% of bloggers and in the world in general are supportive, while there's that 5% bringing everybody down.

    I think you're amazing and a whole bunch of other people think so too, so don't worry about what them other bishes think <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness!! You hit the nail on the head. This is so right, every diet/way of eating is deeply personal and shouldn't be critiqued. What worked for one person might not work for everyone. Thank you, thank you for writing this!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AMEN Sista!!!
    Happy Wednesday
    XOXO
    Elisha

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's great. I know for me I get comments because I am so strict on my diet. But for me I don't lose weight if I "cheat" or veer off of a very strict plan. I get discouraged when I hear about people giving up fast food and losing 10 pounds, or being able to have a bad weekend and still lose a pound or two. If I look at food out of my plan I gain weight. So I have to be strict if I am going to reach my goal. It may not always be this way, but it certainly is right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you! This is so well said and much needed, I think. I think that your diet evolution has been amazing. It is incredibly obvious how much time and effort you have put into your meals. It is kind of funny, but when I recently went and saw Jillian Michaels speak, a lot of the things she was saying totally reminded me of you! Keep on keeping on, lady. I don't always comment, but I love to read your motivational and inspiring posts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Preach it sister!! The beginning of my weight loss journey was a nightmare! If it was a processed carb that came in a box with the calories stamped on the front I was all over it! I just didn't know any better. Have a great day lady!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amen. I was just talking about this with a friend the other day. How people comment on the food/diet choices we make when all we really want to say back is LEAVE ME ALONE! What does it matter to them if what you are doing works for you, so be it. Great post as always! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is one of my biggest peeves out there. Commitment to health is the only required common denominator I think that is required of someone wanting to lose weight. Everything else is extremely personal. It really does mess with your motivation when someone makes your feel like you might be doing something wrong. It is much more hurtful than helpful. Thanks! I linked up to your macro post in my guest post for Skinny Meg yesterday BTW!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is SO true. Everyone is different. My aunt and uncle can follow the same plan and he always loses way more than her even though she is the one with more to lose. I'm having to find what is working for me right now and having difficulty in doing so. It's trial and error until you find something that just clicks. Until then, it can be discouraging, but I keep telling myself in the end the goal will be met......even if it takes a lot longer than I had hoped.

    ReplyDelete
  11. THANK you! This was so spot-on and eloquent. And much needed!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ha ha reason number 554 why I love you and your attitude( not in the creepy I want your skin stalker way) lol. Rock on with your buff self miss ell!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very well put! One of the biggest places I hear lots of negativity is at work. My friends and family are super supportive, but people act like it's a personal attack when I don't partake in the supermarket cake for the birthay celebration. It's tough, and I catch lots of criticism for those choices. On a positive note, I hope your macros plan is working out fabulously this week. I occasionally look at your meals on MFP and get some great ideas! Keep on keeping on, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for posting this, there is not enough kindness amongst ladies and Im trying to start at the beginning and teach Amelia how to be kind - so thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is an awesome post!! I know some of my fave ladies have been taking a lot of heat from assholes like what you are talking about!! To each their own!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well said sista! I love reading what's working for YOU! Thanks for sharing your journey!

    Amy @ getzgirlonfire

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just love you! I actually struggle a little with this. I starved my body in the beginning of my weight loss journey and stalled and lost a lot of lean body mass. I don't want that to happen to anyone else, so when I see <1200 calories, I have a mini freak out and feel I need to let people know that it's ok to eat. From now on, I will only give my opinion when asked :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great post it hits close to home for me.. I joined WW about 3 months ago and did points I lost weight which was great but I was not toned so I found you great ladies thru IG and your blogs and had an epiphany on how to eat clean and how to be strong not just skinny. So I stated to eat clean no more frozen meals ect . Well people asked about it because I was leaning out so I told them that I was Trying to eat clean 80 percent of the time. Well needless to say now when we have stuff at work the comments are made oh you can't eat that or I'm surprised your eating that with your diet. I want to tell them if I want a stinkin cookie today I'm going to eat it! So thank you for your post

    ReplyDelete