Monday, May 6, 2013

Growing Older is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional

Good morning, Happy Monday! Some of you may know that I turned a year older over the weekend. I spent the entire weekend celebrating this new year in my life with family and friends. They all made me feel so special and loved, it was such a blessed weekend!

Surrounded with loved ones, we laughed, we acted like kids, we enjoyed one another, we danced, we drank, we ate, we talked. I ran with friends and biked with my husband. I had brunch with my Mom and didn't focus on the c words- calories or carbs ;) It was a wonderful way to kick off this exciting new time. I'm amped up for this new chapter, 26, I just know it's going to be a great year for me!

Each year we turn another year older, it seems people are having less and less fun with their birthdays. Just another bump on the radar, a reminder of increasing responsibility, and that you just aren't quite as young as you used to be. Women especially, I'm noticing are bashing on birthdays. Revolutionary concept right there huh? It's not a new thing for women to despise getting older, I just assumed we'd be much much older before real dread sets in. I'd like to think that I'll  never dread turning older. That I'm continuously enjoying my life and living to the fullest. That I'm so busy counting my blessings I won't have time to count what I have not. That's why people bash on birthdays isn't it? They're focused on what they don't have rather than what they do have.We should enjoy celebrating life. It is precious and fleeting. It should be treasured and celebrated!

We set expectations for ourselves early in life to have accomplished certain goals by certain years. Goals that are often out of our control. When I think about my life goals and whether or not I'm on par with my big plan, I feel like I'm on track. Sure, there are certain aspects of my life in which I assumed I'd be further along, but I'm not losing sleep over it.  I'm thankful for another year, however in true Elle Noel fashion, I've got to have goals for this year!

Big life goals for 26:

Be Present- Make a conscience effort to put down the cell phone and enjoy the people I'm with- This is a big one for me. I don't want to become so distracted by what's happening online/around the world/ with other people that I lose the moments I'm in and neglecting the people I'm physically spending time with. Be present.

Accept my Mistakes- It's ok to make mistakes. I put a lot of pressure on myself to try and be perfect. I'm not perfect, and I'm never going to be. That's ok. It's ok to make mistakes. I'm going to struggle, I'm going to learn, and I'm going to grow from these mistakes. It ain't the end of the world. Accept that.

Run the Marathon- This will be my biggest personal challenge of the year. Running has become incredibly therapeutic for me personally. It's something I'm very passionate about, and I'm excited to push outside of my previous limitations. Time to reach higher!

Stress Less- I often find myself stressing about things/ people/ scenarios that are out of my control. It's unproductive use of my time and I'm determined to stop. Qualifying stress questions-  What's the worst that can happen? Can I control this situation? Is this a productive use of my time?

Laugh More- Those of you who know me in real life know I already do a lot of this. I laugh too loud, probably to often and it's one of things I love most about myself. It makes me happy- I wanna do more of that yo!

Put My Husband First- biggest goal for 26 is to make my husband feel loved and appreciated everyday. I think most people struggle with being selfish. I'm certainly not exempt from this. I've put a lot of time and effort into my career and overall personal goals, this does take up a large amount of my time. Obviously, my relationship with Mr. Noel is very special to me and I want him to know how much a value him every single day.


I'll return tomorrow with the ordinary weekly work out goals! I got some fun new gadgets for my fit birthday- I'm excited to share these with all of you! Hope you all had a wonderful weekend!

Find me on FacebookBeachbodyPinterest, Instagram @ellenoelfitnessKeek, and My Fitness Pal!

Daily Motivator



27 comments:

  1. Love this! Happy Belated Birthday friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is SUCH a GREAT post!! You are SO right!! I am 41 years old and let me say, it only gets better! Age is just a number. I feel way better now, than I did at say 21 or 31. Life is a precious gift that we all need to cherish, no matter what # we are. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Girl! Hope it was amazing! and I will always get older, never grow up :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love, Love, Love your goals!!! May 26 be your best year yet :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you had a wonderful birthday, pretty lady! I love your goals for 26. Your last goal really hits home for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. May 26 be the best year yet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy belated birthday, pretty girl! I love that picture of you and your mister. Hope this year is your best yet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday! I know what that's like. My past few birthdays have not been really that joyous. Instead of focusing on the fact that I am alive and all, I focused on what I didn't have accomplished or what goals hadn't been met yet (married...kids...weight loss...etc). I am hoping this birthday is better than the last few.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that cute picture of you and Mr. Noel! Happy Birthday! I love your outlook and your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Belated Birthday! I know you will accomplish all your goals and more!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Belated Birthday!!! Sounds like great goals for your 26th year! I think I will borrowing some for the rest of my 28th years!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Belated birthday!! I love those goals!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Happy Belated Birthday, hope you had an amazing birthday. Love the 26 goals, get 'em girl!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great goals! I especially like putting Mr. Noel first, he seems like a great support for you and deserves the love :) Here's to another great year!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy belated birthday. Your goals sound great and really edifying.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Birthday!! You have awesome goals! And you'll achieve them, 'cause that's what you do!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm glad you had fun celebrating your birthday! Long time reader, first time commenter here...I just wanted to thank you for being my inspiration yesterday. I ran a half marathon (not my first but I was looking to set a new PR.) Towards the end when it got tough and I just wanted to give up on the new PR, I thought what would Leigh Ann do? Would she let the achievement of this goal slip away when it is so close? No, of course not! So I kicked my butt into gear, finished the race strong and got that new PR!

    Thanks for being so inspirational! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Edit your post to put the hubby as your first goal. It is a great way to put him first instead of last. I am also dealing with not putting my hubby first and trying to change that. Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Loved this! What a great list!#:-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy Birthday to you! You have a fabulous list of goals there. May you accomplish all that you set your mind to this year.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great list and happy birthday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy Birthday, sweet lady! And I love the yellow on you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sounds like a perfect bday weekend - some fun, food and fitness! Love your goals, especially be present, show your husband some more loooove, and run that marathon! Welcome to 26 :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Happy birthday! I LOVE your goals! That is such a good idea to do every birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm a huge believer in celebrating birthdays! Happy (belated!) Birthday to you!!

    Someone once said (to a grumpy coworker who didn't want to celebrate their birthday), "We should celebrate! Think of those people who are no longer here with us - celebrate for them" - something about that really stuck with me. I'm a huge believer of celebrating big every year, but that just made me even more happy that I do :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great post! I just turned 30 a few weeks ago and I couldn't agree with you more! Great goals!

    ReplyDelete