Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Taking it Easy Day 3 & Full Marathon Plans

Mornin ya'll! I'm not sure what happened with yesterday's post, it reverted to draft sometime in the late afternoon, however it has been fixed now! Thanks for pointing this out to me!

I'm supposed to be taking it easy this week, given the strange virus I had Sunday/Monday and the frustrating weekly weigh in, it seems like a good time to step back and reevaluate. I guess I should clarify what I say when I mean taking it easy. It's going to look more like only one two a day this week. Which will consequently, make up for the work out missed Monday. I'm not setting any weekly goals, which is different and nice, since I can decide the day of what workout I want to complete. It's also got me forward thinking about upcoming goals and training for my first Marathon!

Tuesday night, I got in a fast 3 mile run and JM 6 Week Six Pack. I'm currently on the sixth week. Results to post next week. I know ya'll are itching for the end of that challenge!

I've been thinking a lot about my next challenge. The biggest I've got planned for myself in the coming year, running my first marathon.

I'm beginning to outline my training plan for the upcoming run season. I know, I know the last one just ended, however it's cheap to sign up for races right now, early birds love getting that worm, so I'm all wrapped up in what's to come! In talking with one of my Sole Sistas at the race this past weekend, I've decided not to run the Rock N Roll full Marathon this year. She ran that full in 2013 and convinced me the Louisiana Marathon would be a much better fit for me for my first full. Plus, she's running this race, and I do not want to be out on the road alone for 26.2 miles. Shiz dizzle I'm going to run 26.2 miles.

Just let that sink in a hot minute.

Picking which race to run is essential in success. A bad course can really ruin a race experience. Several factors play into a race, the route, the spectators, road quality, entertainment, having a pace buddy. I want to make sure I pick the right race for my first full marathon. Oddly enough, the Marathon feels like the next natural step for me. It's not scary or daunting to me in the least. In my experience, if you follow your training program to the T, you will be prepared come race day. Prepare = Success.

My sole sista with the marathon experience recommends getting a head start on training. They say it's good to have at least three 20 mile runs under your belt before heading into the Marathon. Which would mean I need to start working up to that kind of mileage now. I plan to loosely follow Hal Higdon's Novice 2 Marathon Training program and I'm upping my half marathon training to the intermediate level. 2013-2014 Pace goals are to run the half averaging 9 minute miles and the full averaging 10 minute miles. Go big or go home right?! Gotta have a goal. The following are races I know I'll participate in the coming year. I'm sure there will be others thrown in and a smattering of 5ks along the way.

2013-2014 Races-

October 12th, 2013- NOLA Jazz Half Marathon
November (TBD)- Cajun Cup 10K
January 19th, 2014- Louisiana Marathon
February 2nd, 2014- Rock N Roll Half Marathon

Anyone out there got Marathon training advice? Have you started planning for upcoming races?

I'm finally feeling like myself again today. Threw in some red pants for an extra boost!


Find me on FacebookBeachbodyPinterest, Instagram @ellenoelfitnessKeek, and My Fitness Pal!

Daily Motivator


19 comments:

  1. Well hope you get better soon!

    That is an awesome goal! I hope to run a 5K soon, so maybe someday I will do a marathon!

    You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOu are a freaking rockstar! Cannot wait to see your 6 pack results! YOu give me such motivation! I am on week 3 of hal hidgons 5k training and am THINKING about getting the GUTS to sign up for my first 5k eeek! I can't wait to follow you on your journey of running a FULL marathon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'll do a great job on the full! Remember that not every training run will be great and like you said show up on race day prepared. I did a 20 & 22 miler prior & am so glad that I did both! The 20 miler was as a participant in a "race," which many used as their last marathon training long run. It sucked & was awful and not my favorite run. A couple of weeks later I did the 22 miler on my own and felt amazing at the end. It was just the confidence boost that I know I needed going into to the big M:-) It'll be fun to follow your progress. I'm itching to sign up for another one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I signed up for the Rock and Roll full, hope its not really hard... I plan on trying to do the Jazz half myself, since I prolly should do a half before I try a whole... man I am crazy...

    but its nice to know you are crazy running all these miles too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to hear about your full training. You are a rockstar! I love your red pants.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My 2013 resolution is and will be to run a full this year. It will be the St Jude Rock and Roll Memphis marathon in December. I also am going to start uping mileage soon. I like hearing that I will need 3 20 milers under my belt. I will be working toward that for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can do it Leigh Ann - I know it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You will do amazing training for a half marathon, and I can't wait to read all about it. You got this, Positive Patty!

    Glad you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome! You WILL do it!

    I just HAD to comment that I got a good chuckle out of the fact that your race season is over. Ours here in WI hasn't even started yet...we are supposed to get another inch or two of snow this week. An unusually L - O - N - G winter for us and I don't know what to do but laugh. I just want to get outside and RUN to badly! I will be doing my first half in October and definitely looking to you for inspiration. Thanks for being such an awesome motivator!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're so awesome! Such an inspiration and goal setter.
    I've decided I want to train for a half and was thinking about doing the Rock N Roll half in New Orleans. Can I ask why your friend suggested not to do this as your first full? It will be my longest race by far (having only done 5Ks and not very fast). I don't want to set myself up for too hard of a race. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your post as always, you have been such an inspiration to me. Good luck on your marathon training.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Week 6? Oh wow! I'm so excited to read about your results! And I'm even more excited about your marathon! Yay!

    Have you ever heard of Jeff Galloway? He's got an interesting take to training--you walk a minute for every mile you run. A girl I work with used that method for her last half marathon and she said her pace shot way up because of it. I'm considering giving it a try for my next half!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I ran (and I use that term loosely) my first marathon in October. Because I was running with my high-school students (how cool is that?!), we only had one 20-mile run prior to race day. While I don't have much clout in this area, I can only assume that regardless of how many 20-milers you get in prior to the marathon, the last 6.2 miles are going to suck worse than anything in the history of ever.

    It is pretty darn worth it, though, when you cross the finish line. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is so exciting! I know you can do it!! Can't waitto hear about it. Also, you're rocking those red pants. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I CANNOT wait to follow your training journey - I feel like I am a year behind you in terms of running so learning about your experiences has helped me loads :) I just signed up for my first half - so nervous but excited - I am stretching out my training to include 17 weeks instead of 12 just to be on the safe side :) Good luck with all of your plans - I know you will kill it :) Also, good job on recognizing the significance of choosing a good race as your first - not going to lie - my half is supposed to be flat :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I cannot wait for your results and to see how your training goes for your marathon! You gave me the push to sign up for a 10K (I've never run a race before!) and I'm slightly freaking out. I, like you used to, never consider myself to be a "runner" but I'm hoping with getting an early start (the race isn't until September) and the fact that my hubby is my racing partner will create an amazing experience. I'm itching to try that 13.1 one day ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am SO excited to read about your journey to becoming a FULL FLEDGED MARATHONER. After my dad ran his first marathon (when he was 45!!), I told myself I'd run one someday. After reading your race recaps (especially the earlier ones), I can't wait to see you complete your goal and finish that marathon! It makes me think that maybe (maybe!) one day I could possibly get there too :)

    Carolyn

    http://fitnastyforlife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Girl, you are fabulous! Not just because you have made a marthon your next major gal, but because you listen to your body. It's refreshing to hear someone talk about slowing down, not that you slowed down completely, but taking care of yourself. Hope you get to feeling 100% soon.

    ReplyDelete