Tuesday, April 30, 2013

So you wanna be a fast runner?

Good morning and Happy Tuesday! Today I've asked Caroline from Simply Smithwick to guest post or me. I'm presently in Indianapolis for work, so I knew I'd need some help getting out the daily inspiration! I'm always looking to Caroline for motivation and tips. Her nic name is Swifty. True story. This girl is one fast runner! She's also a new Mom and absolutely sweet heart! I know ya'll are gonna love her!

Hi, everyone!  I am Caroline from Simply Smithwick.  I am so honored that Miss Elle Noel has asked me to guest post for her this week.  I always love reading her blog and I'm always motivated to try and do better.  

I am a runner.  I am a fairly new runner at that.  I didn't start running until January 2012, so I am still learning.  I've already completed three half marathons and I am currently training for the Chicago Marathon this fall.  One thing most people tell me the most about my running is that I am fast.

I'm certainly not the fastest runner by any means, but my pace is pretty good.  I attribute my speed to my training to the treadmill.  Since I get up before the crack of dawn (or before my 4 month old gets up) and because it's been a cold Winter and Spring, I hit the gym for some time on the treadmill.  I really have a love/hate relationship with the machine, but I truly believe it's helped me with my speed. 
I've tried speed workouts that I've found online, but I get dizzy looking at them on my phone while I'm running or I forget what I'm doing.  Or maybe it's because I'm not fully awake yet, but I had to find something that worked for me.  

An average run on the treadmill for me is 4 miles on a zero incline.  I start out slower and get faster as the run goes on.  I used to really burn out at the end of my runs, but this training has really helped me to keep going at a normal pace and to not give up.  Here's my normal routine....
0 - 0.5 mile:  7.0 mph
0.5 - 1 mile:  7.1 mph
1 - 1.5 miles:  7.2mph
1.5 - 2 miles:  7.3 mph
2 - 2.5 miles:  7.4 mph
2.5 - 3 miles:  7.5 mph
3.0 - 3.1 miles: 7.1 mph
3.1 - 3.2 miles:  7.2 mph
3.2 - 3.3 miles: 7.3 mph
3.3 - 3.4 miles: 7.4 mph
3.4 - 3.5 miles: 7.5 mph
3.5 - 3.6 miles: 7.6 mph
3.6 - 3.7 miles: 7.7 mph
3.7 - 3.8 miles: 7.8 mph
3.8 - 3.9 miles: 7.9 mph
3.9 - 4.0 miles: 8.0 mph

This workout will normally take me about 31-33 minutes to complete.  It's great speed work for me and I can really tell a difference.  Like I said, I keep it at a zero incline because I just don't like the incline.  I'll save that kind of running for the road.    

Keep in mind that you can modify this workout based on a speed that you are comfortable with.  Start small and work your way up.    

Do you have a particular program you use for speed work?

And in honor of Elle's daily motivation, I'll leave you with this....

9 comments:

  1. It's too funny that I JUST posted for today and it's about becoming a faster runner!
    I researched some stuff and found some techniques I want to try.
    But I will definitely be filing this one in my back pocket. I like it, but I have a hard time wanting to do it on the treadmill. But May is all about speed work for me so I might have to pepper this in there occasionally!
    And I'll be checking out Caroline's blog!!!
    Have a good day, ladies!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will need to try this, but at lower speeds! My sprinting is in the 7-8mph range! haha

    Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great guest post! Thanks to Caroline. I was thinking we need a speed training challenge in June to follow up our #4Mchallenge..and Caroline--great dedication getting up before your 4 month old..I know they can wake up pretty early :) Enjoy your day and have a safe trip Gisele!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I needed this post today! Can't wait to try the workout!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This one seems easier on the mind only going up .1 every half mile! Thanks I will have to try this!!!
    XOXO
    Elisha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh girl, anything above 7 on the treadmill is booking it for me! I will try this out and see how it works for me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm afraid I'll fall off of the treadmill! Ha :) I need to try this out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 7 is sprinting for me too! However I can definitely use this layout and modify it to a speed more comfortable and one day, hopefully 7 will be a slow pace for me!!! That's what I'm working towards. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done!! good job with the post!! it is inspirational!! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete