Monday, April 1, 2013

Cresent City Classic- A New 10k PR

Whoa what a weekend! The Noel's had another fantastic weekend shared with family and friends. Friday I focused all of my quality time with my main man. We had a wonderful day together. I got in my last sessions of Jillian Michael's 6 Week Six Pack Level One before loading up the car and heading to New Orleans. One of my nearest and dearest friends, Susannah and her man, Louis, live in the Crescent City, transplants from our home town. Mr. Noel and I enjoy visiting them regularly, and this weekend Susannah and I had plans to run the 35th Annual Crescent City Classic.

The Crescent City Classic (CC10K) is a 10k run through New Orleans, and the event itself is a massive NOLA Easter weekend tradition. 25,000 people ran the race all cumulating with a festival in City Park at the finish line.  The CCC10k even has a running expo where Susannah and I picked up these awesome moisture wicking head bands by Bandana Headbands Susannah's band says Will Run for Wine and mine says Run Happy. These bands stayed in place for the entirety of the run and kept my hair line dry without getting sweat in my eyes. I only got the one band, but I'll look for them at future expos! Worth the money!


The morning of the run we woke up with the sun and got prepared for the race. We had the boys drop us off at the Superdome where the start line for the race was located. There's something about race day atmosphere that's down right contagious for me. The running community as a whole is a friendly bunch. I enjoy heading to the start line with all the other crazy people who thinking running 6.2 or more miles sounds like a fun way to start the day. The camaraderie keeps me coming back for more. Susannah was very nervous as this was her longest run distance to date. I knew at the end of those 6.2 miles, she'd feel all that nervous energy was so worth it.

We packed into our corral which was assigned by color based on estimated finishing time. The weather was cool, but I knew it would get hot quickly. Spring has arrived in the South, but overall the weather was simply gorgeous. A wonderful day for a run. I knew I wanted to PR. When do I not?! My previous 10k PR  was 58:35 a 9:26 minute mile pace. I knew I had to force myself outside of comfort zone to achieve an aggressive pace goal, but I felt it in my bones that morning, I was up for the task.


My top is Champion from Target- purchased March 2013
The gun sounded and the corrals started moving quickly, we were off. There was a massive pack of people at the start. I was mostly focused on not tripping over anyone else for the first half mile. It forced me into flight or fight mode and I went against my better judgment and zoomed away from the crowd. My playlist was lighting all cylinders. Time to roll!

Crescent City Classic Playlist:

Can't Hold Us (feat. Ray Dalton)- Macklemore & Ryan Lewis
My Songs Know What You Did in the Dark- Fall Out Boy
I Love It -Hit Mix
Mirrors- Justin Timberlake
#thatPOWER (feat. Justin Bieber)- will.i.am
F*kin Perfect- Pink
Gone, Gone, Gone- Phillip Phillips
Brokenhearted- Karmin
U Make Me Wanna (Original Radio Edit)- Eddie Amador & Kimberly Cole
Rock the Boat- Bob Sinclar
Troublemaker- Olly Murs
Have Some Fun- Pitbull
You Get What You Give- New Radicals
Cinema- Benny Benassi
Unbroken- Demi Lavato
Let's Go- Calvin Harris
If I Lose Myself- OneRepublic

Before hitting the mile marker, I had already tapped into that I love to run feeling, however at one mile, I knew I had started far to quickly. I had set my personal best for one mile. 7:52 Mile One. I freaked a bit when I realized exactly how much energy I had expended and put on the brakes. I noticed a man in front of me who appeared to be a very strong runner. He was wearing a bright neon shirt, keeping a steady pace, and making conversation with those around him. I decided to track him as long as possible since I had problems pacing myself (obviously). He was running a steady 9:15. I followed him all down Espalande, the majority of the route.  This section of the route was coincidentally the same section of road that nearly got the best of me during the half marathon last month. The road is in desperate need of repaving and it's a tough run, however the scenery is gorgeous with the entire roadway canopied by large oak trees. This day, I was one fire. Cruising. I felt fantastic!

Then came mile 4.5 where Espalande meets City Park, and the safety of the oak trees is left behind. The last mile and half is completely unshaded. It was hot. Runner's were fainting. No joke. I found a shaded section of sidewalk and ran there instead of the road to keep cool. The man I had been tracking became over heated and had to walk. I found another bright colored shirt in the distance and kept running with this unknown person. At this point, I was playing mind games with myself. I was hot. Spectators had sprinklers pointed into the road and I ran out of my way to get doused with cool aqua. I was nearing exhaustion having pushed so far outside of my comfortable 9:30 pace for such a distance. The negative thoughts set in, I'm not going to PR today, Snap I'd be happy just to finish, Just walk and recover for 30 seconds, It's hot. I need water. I can't make it another mile  finally I willed Positive Patty back into action Of Course you're going to PR!! You Can Do It! You're almost there, Maximum 6 more minutes of running, Dig Deeper, Run Harder, Push Faster!!! I think I can, I think I can, I think I can...

Lots of people were walking during the last mile, more than I've ever seen in any other race. I was back to dodging other runners. Then just when I thought my mind would beat my body, the finish line came into view. I fired up what remained in my tank, completely expending what was left of my energy. I laid it all out on the last quarter mile.  I finished my last race, of my first year, as a runner on a high note. I'd set a new PR at 56:51 averaging 9:09 a mile. My first 10k run in November 2012 at 1:00:10. I couldn't have been more proud. I only wish I could have found the random stranger who helped me pace for four miles and thank him. Never underestimate what you are capable of when you really truly believe in yourself!


 Susannah and I met up with our men at the finish line and enjoyed few beers at the race day festival! She had finished her first long race and tapped in that I love to run feeling too. Race day= Success. After receiving our medals (which are really nice!), taking some pictures, we decided to head out and grab brunch. We celebrated with Mimosas and grub before heading home to get dressed for the day!

What a fun day! Our group celebrated the run together, going on a round about uptown New Orleans tour. It was an early night as we all had to wake up early for Easter Sunday activities with family. These NOLA run weekends are incredibly fun, can't wait to do it all over again in October!



Weekly Work Out Goals:

Monday:
Jillian Michael's 6 Week Six Pack - L2
R.I.P.P.E.D

Tuesday:
Jillian Michael's 6 Week Six Pack - L2
Treadmill Interval Training

Wednesday:
Jillian Michael's 6 Week Six Pack- L2
5 Mile Run

Thursday:
Jillian Michael's 6 Week Six Pack- L2
Weight Training

Friday:
Incline Walk/Run Treadmill Routine

Saturday-
9 Mile Run

Sunday-
Jillian Michael's 6 Week Six Pack - L2

Give Away Wednesday on the blog and a few diet tweeks! Happy Monday errr body!

Find me on FacebookBeachbodyPinterest, Instagram @ellenoelfitnessKeek, and My Fitness Pal!

Daily Motivator

27 comments:

  1. I loved reading about your race. I am planning on running my first 10K this year, and while I am no where near as fast as you...I am SO excited to set my first time so I can start making my own PR's! Congrats on your finish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! PRs are always fun. And those headbands: I LOVE! I get one for every big race that I do. My favorite says, "One Hot Mess." :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot I was still signed in on my work account. :) The above comment is from me. Oops!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats lady! You are awesome. Getting me psyched to run my race in June. AH!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there! I am a newbie to your blog and just love reading your posts...so inspiring!! Congratulations on your new PR!!! I am getting ready to run my first 5K this Saturday and I'm really excited...although I am slower than a herd of turtles. Thanks for being so positive!

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a great run recap...i have a BAD habit of psyching myself out about 1/2 to 3/4s of the way thru a run and im determined not to do it on my next half! less than 4 weeks to go, i may need to read your post again :) THANKS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Way to go! Love the neon outfit too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You rock! I got race fever now. I love the race day atmosphere and the sound of the gun. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome run!! and I just love the color of that blue headband! Really I love your entire outfit!
    I also just purchased the same top in the gray and black. LOVE Target's athletic section!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats! You painted a great picture through your race recap:-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on your new PR you are a rockstar!!! Sounds like an amazing time!!!! Happy Monday gorgeous
    XOXO
    Elisha

    ReplyDelete
  12. You make me want to go run!! Thanks for the inspiration! I need that Will run for wine bandana...awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love, Love your outfit you ran in! Congrats on your PR! I know that feels great!

    I know this is random but did you have a post that told us how to change from google reader to bloglovin? If not do you know who did? or where I can find the instructions? Your page is great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sooo inspiring!!!!

    I want to run my first 5k later this year! You are an inspiration and I am soo glad I found your blog/Instagram! You keep me motivated!

    journeywithceceisme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. GREAT job! You look awesome and it sounds like you had a wonderful time! Awesome work on the PR - your energy is contagious. I want to go run LIKE NOW!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I always look for someone to compete with. It keeps you on your toes! Great job on the PR!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fun read--you're so smart to find someone to help you pace! And I'm so proud that you kept running the whole way, even with the blistering heat! What a bad-ass! You had an AMAZING running season and if you ever get the itch to do a race again this summer, come to Minnesota and run with me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great job on the PR! I love that you found someone to pace yourself with. I always enjoy running with strangers to help push yourself during a race. Woohoo on the 9 minute mile!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great job as always girlie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congrats on the PR!! You look amazing in those shorts girl! You talked me into buying the 6wk6pack so my abs should be thanking you by Wednesday. Also, I'm googling training plans/1/2marathons for the fall! I'm giving myself PLENTY of time to train. I'm so excited. Thank YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What's PR? I keep reading it on your blog and have been trying to figure it out...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This post gave me chills :) I truly enjoy you recapping all the race - it helps me realize im not crazy when running - "snap Id be happy just to finish" = made me laugh :) And I totally know the nervous feeling - I about puked before my 5K - cant wait to do a 10k!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congratulations on the great race! And thank you for the headband recommendation - we are stationed in southern, southern SOUTHERN Alabama for the second year (summer) and I'd love something to keep the sweat out of my eyes! I'll be checking those out for sure:-)

    ReplyDelete