Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Why would anyone ever give up?

Meander around the blogo-sphere and you'll find lots of blogs about weight loss. How to lose weight, how to tone up, how to look good in a swim suit.What you don't read a lot about is the mental endurance involved in a weight loss journey.

As we get closer to the middle of March, time keeps ticking on. New Year's resolution are becoming fuzzy champagne induced memories, and maybe you thought you'd have lost 40 pounds by mid-March, or that you'd be wearing single digit sizes and running 10:30 minute miles, regardless of the goal, do you feel like you're losing steam? I find losing weight to be just as much an emotional journey as a physical transformation. For me, a journey of growing from negativity and self doubt to building confidence from positivity in all facets of life. Committing to change takes mental strength, because these types of goals take time to accomplish. Rome Wasn't Built in A Day 

Initial trans-formative decisions are met with a gung-ho attitude, from everyone in life. However, over time, these types of decisions are also met with kick back. No, it doesn't start off that way, everyone will initially be supportive of weight loss goals, until your goals begin affecting their life. I've been reading a lot about how other people are affecting an individuals weight loss. It's true. Other people will have a massive effect on your goals.

Sticking to a goal where others have failed, or even simply believe they would, will leave other people feeling insecure. Sticking to a goal, that your loved ones know you want so very badly for yourself, will leave them feeling intensely proud and happy for your accomplishments. On the other hand, some people will find new found confidence intimidating, and will place distance in your relationship. All scenarios thus affecting the way they treat you. That's really all there is to it, your actions are affecting the way they feel about themselves. It has nothing to do you with you personally. Shake shake shake it off (sung like Mariah)

Losing weight has affected all of my relationships. Every single last one. Losing weight has changed all of me, not just the outside. It has transformed my life and always for the better. The closer I am to reaching a goal, the more empowered I feel. The more empowered I feel, the harder I work. Weight loss comes with confidence. Confidence in abilities in all aspects of life.

That's not to say I don't still struggle. I still see 200 plus pound Leigh Ann in the mirror some days. There are times when a bag of peanut butter M&M's have more power over me than I do over myself. There are days when I struggle. There have been good days and bad days. Great weeks and not so great weeks.Over time,
the struggle days have grown fewer and farther between and the empowering days greater with each passing week. The stronger and happier I've become throughout this journey, I can't help but wonder.

Why would anyone ever give up?

Don't give up because someone in your life doesn't like the new you. There's 5 people who will love and appreciate the new you for every one negative. Don't give up because you had a bad meal. Don't give up because it's not happening as fast as you'd like. Don't give up because life got in the way for awhile. Don't give up on yourself and your goals. Remember why you committed to overhauling your life in the first place. You want this. Work for it! The reward is worth the struggle, ten fold.


Find me on FacebookBeachbodyPinterest, Instagram @ellenoelfitnessKeek, and My Fitness Pal!

Daily Motivator



26 comments:

  1. I so needed to hear this today. Thanks for being such an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting this today! I temporarily gave up over the weekend but I am now back on the horse and re-motivated thanks to the upcoming half marathon, spring and summer clothes that I discovered are a little too tight, and most of all, ORB!! Thanks for all you do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog today. Thanks for the encouraging words!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post! I've lost weight before and got healthy for 2 years before our wedding. After another year of trying to lose weight and keep in shape, I got discouraged after not being able to get off this plateau I was on. I eventually started eating horrible again and gained ALL of the weight back. I'm working at it again and it's a daily struggle but I refuse to go back to my old lifestyle. Thank you for being a positive source of encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderfully motivating today, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really connect with this post. I tend to get down when my hubby goes on his fitness kicks because he can drop 10 pounds in a week and he is so much more determined than I am. I tend to sabotage his efforts by cooking his favorite foods, until I get my butt back in gear. I do feel bad that I do that and I need to STOP it. I need to get tougher mentally, and I am working on it. Thanks for the kick in the pants :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Girl this hit home today - make those few people who "can't understand" eat it. That is what I am screaming on this "worst day of the week".

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I soooo needed to hear this today. I've been having a rough few days and very nearly threw in the towel. But I know I'm so close to my goal, something I've been working towards for a looong time, and I don't want to give up!! Thanks again for the inspiration and kick in the butt! :)
    Elisabeth

    ReplyDelete
  9. New reader here. I desperately needed to hear this today. Just weighed in after a week of hard work at the gym, but more than a few food slip ups. Normally right now I'd be taking out my anger on the jar of peanut butter in the cabinet. But instead I read your blog. And the peanut butter is staying put (not in my belly).

    Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE this post!!! I just wrote an update for my blog (for Thursday) updating on my journey and I didn't want it to be all fluff and things are great. It is HARD to not only lose weight but to MAINTAIN a healthy lifestyle, every day and still live your normal life. It's so good to know there are other people out there that also see the journey as more than just losing weight. There are many more elements that factor in and it can be taxing. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great inspirational post today! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this post!!! I have experienced a change in my relationships with my weight loss battle. I actually got divorced in the middle of it. My ex couldn't handle the change especially when I became more confident and outgoing. I am remarried and my new husband only knows the skinnier me so I know he's okay with my outgoing personality. I have gained a few pounds back since being with him and I know he's okay with that, athough I'm not and I'm trying to get back down to where I was. I do agree with you that all the relationships we have with people change when we lose weight. Some for the good and some for the not so good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for posting this! You are SO inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is definitely true. Although I am healthier in every way possible, I have seen nothing but small results. Overall, I am a fitter person and I feel better about myself. However, sometimes it is hard to remember that. I have binge days and I will be the first to admit I eat a sweet everyday..but I know that I am happier and better off than where I started. Thank you for being such an amazing inspiration. As a Louisiana girl myself, not that it matters, but I can definitely feel like I can relate to you even more. You are awesome girly!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for the inspiration and motivation. I have started/stopped the weight loss journey more than I can count or remember, but this time around I just had a different mindset. It was no longer a new years resolution, I just wanted to be a better me. In the beginning, I wasn't seeing any results. But I kept at it, focusing on how I felt instead of the scale, and realizing that the results might be slow but I was making progress. I haven't lost a ton of weight yet (it has been only a month or so), but the 7lbs I have lost I am incredibly proud of because I pushed forward and kept at it. I intend to keep going at it because I want to see the end result and I already feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You rock sister!!! SUUUUUCH a good POST!!! XOXOXOXO Happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you! As always, I feel like you always post something like this when I need it. Last week was bad, I'm feeling like eating bad today and it's a STRUGGGGGGGGLE. All I want to do is shove some carby bread and chocolate down my throat today. This made me feel better and not like I should give up. I want to hit that goal by May 31st!

    ReplyDelete
  18. As always, your motivation inspires me.

    Also, you're close to 500 followers!! You need to do sponsors, woman. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are so inspiring! This is most definitely the time of year where I start to lose steam and I feel like I've seen that across the parts of the blogosphere that I travel through. We must not give up! We all have set backs, but that just means you have to pick up and keep going :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just wanted to let you know when I start to drag during my workout I think to myself "WWEND?" What Would Elle Noel Do? You're damn right I push myself harder! So...thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is a great post! It's definitely more than just a physical battle - it's an emotional journey as well. If I'm feel weak - I always come to your blog!!

    Sheree
    The Hartungs Blog
    thehartungs.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such a great post & how true it is! Thank you so much for this, I truly needed to read it today!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great post and really hit home! I was starting to feel in a rut and like this whole running thing has been for nothing but now I know it hasn't! Just today I was thinking man I should really train for a 10K in August and I haven't even ran my first 5K yet. This is something I never would have even been thinking before January. Keep up the hard work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love you! What a great post and such encouraging words. Just what I needed to hear!

    ReplyDelete