Monday, March 18, 2013

Race for the Cure- Weekly Goals

This weekend my home town played host to it's annual Race for the Cure, it's a massive local event and one of the biggest 5ks in our area. People of all fitness levels and age ranges run/walk this race. It's a Race I've participated in both as an extremely unfit walker and now as a runner. It's a fun community and family event, whether walking or running. It's truly inspiring to see women with Survivor medals hanging around their neck as they cross the finish line. My Sole Sistas Running group was out in big numbers, and It was so fantastic to see my half marathon training buddies! GREAT way to kick off the day!


I woke up bright and early Saturday morning, got in my Jillian Michael's 6 Week Six Pack routine, refueled and got ready for the race. My goal for the day was to beat my previous PR of 28:35 set in November and I was ok with beating that time minimally. I didn't think I'd blow the time out of the water, but I thought surely I could beat a 9:40 average mile considering how much stronger I've become since November.

The Sole Sista's all started off at the very beginning of the race. Right under the start line. At a big event like this, if you're planning to run hard, you better start off in the front. If you don't plan on moving quickly, it's best to get in the back. My plan starting off was just to get away from the massive pack of people. A 5k is a very basic distance so I didn't have a pacing plan. I just ran. Fast.

At five minutes my ap said to me .75 miles run, average pace 8:10 per mile. WHOA. I was flying. My gut instinct was to pull back on speed ( I would NEVER start out a long run this fast), but I decided to hell with caution, it's only 3.1 miles I'm gonna haul some ass. That's what I did. I ran as fast as I could for as long as I could. The race felt short, because for me it was, and I was so proud to have average 8 minute miles. That's the equivalent of running at 7.0 plus on the treadmill, continuously for 27:23 seconds. I really couldn't believe I had run so fast! This run felt like flying. I know I'm getting close to joining the 8 minute milers on a longer distance. Ideally, I'd like to run my next half marathon averaging under 9 minute miles. For the first time since the half, I feel really close to getting into the next speed bracket and upping my long run endurance.


I wasn't the only runner in my group to set a PR this day. I love hearing about everyone's run times and besting previous personal barriers. Each person in my run group seemed to have a great run this day! We stood at the finish and cheered for each runner. A Sole Sista tradition. My dear friend Kate also set a a new PR, beating her time from a previous 5k the weekend before! She started running three short months ago. It was such an awesome way to start the day! Then we had to remind ourselves we hadn't just run 13 miles so no eating like wild baboons. We refueled with a banana, water, and veggie jambalaya (FIYA!)


These race experiences are so addictive. I love the feeling of crossing the finish line, even at a short race. It leaves me feeling strong, accomplished, and ready to get the most out of the day!

Kate has been after me to read Dean Karnazes' Ultra Marathon Man for a few months now. I haven't been reading much lately, aside from all of your blogs, but she persisted. She brought me the book Saturday and said, "You are reading this. No excuses" Yes ma'm! I started the book Sunday and I'll finish it today. To say I'm engrossed in Dean's story would be an understatement. He's got me thinking about ways in which I can examine and improve my own life. Pushing my own physical boundaries and endurance levels. I will run the marathon next run season in addition to another half. Even with these goals in place, I feel like I've barely begun to tap into what I'm truly capable of achieving. I've been considering participation in a half Iron Man for awhile now. I consider myself a strong swimmer and biker, so this really feels like the next frontier. Stay tuned.....

Weekly Work Out Goals:

Monday- 
6 Week Six Pack
R.I.P.P.E.D.

Tuesday-
6 Week Six Pack
Turbo Fire

Wednesday
6 Week Six Pack
8 Mile Run

Thursday-
6 Week Six Pack
Weight Training

Friday-
Incline Walk/Run Speed Training- Treadmill

Saturday-
6 Week Six Pack
5K Foam Fest

Sunday-
Rest


Find me on FacebookBeachbodyPinterest, Instagram @ellenoelfitnessKeek, and My Fitness Pal!

Daily Motivator


12 comments:

  1. You're an overachiever girl!! A half Iron Man is totally up your alley and you would rock it like you do everything else. It's so great to see you set goals and blow them out of the water!! have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the new PR!!!! I knew you would do it! You can and will rock a half iron man, I KNOW IT! I did a sprint tri last September and hope to do another one this fall! The swimming part is the hardest for me... esp in a lake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your new PR you speed racer! YOU are on FIRE!!! I also want to do a sprint triathlon! Tiy would kick major booty! The only thing is I'm not a very goo swimmer! I need to work on that :) YOU look gorgeous as always even after flying thru 3.1 miles! Happy Monday Beautiful!!! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that is an amazing pace! Seriously, so impressive! I think an iron man sounds sooo fun--I wish I was a stronger swimmer. It's fun to read about you completely dominating these physical goals and then just nonchalantly looking around for the next thing, no big whoop. That's got to be a great feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome job! I love that you are considering an iron man - I know you can do it! Maybe Kristie P and I will join in on the training :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's an amazing time!!! Congrats :) I did a virtual 5k this weekend and PR'd it! 30:22 whereas I normally do around 35 and my previous PR was 33. Must be the luck of the Irish for me! Have a fabulous Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your so fast!! Kachow!! Way to go girl!!! Iron man hmmm interesting. You can do whatever you set your mind to. I believe in you girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are seriously my motivation. Before my run the other day, I told Chris that I was going to Elle Noel the shit out of the race. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love reading about your experiences, because I've never run a race before!

    Hope you have a wonderful day!

    Sheree
    The Hartungs Blog
    thehartungs.com

    ReplyDelete