Sunday, March 24, 2013

Foam Fest & The Skinny Girl Rock

Super Saturday, action packed from start to finish. Just how I like it, oh yeahs!  Saturday kicked off with an early morning wake up call, I had to get in my last session of Jillian Michael's 6 Week Six Pack (5 Sessions per week/ 6 weeks total). Madeline and I made last minute plans to join my girl Sabrina and crew to do the 5k Foam Fest in Baton Rouge. Unfortunately, some of the people who originally signed up to the run the race couldn't make it, so we got to step in last minute, very fortunate for us! (Thank you for letting us run for you!)

We didn't know really what to expect from Foam Fest. I knew it would be a trail run, I knew there would be obstacles, I knew to wear old shoes and bring a change of cloths (just in case), but that didn't prepare me for what Foam Fest actually consisted of. It was a physical trail. I don't know if it was intentional, or if it had rained on the trail in the days leading up to the run, but it was very very muddy (understatement). This is what I got for saying to Madeline, "I'm cool with everything except mud. I'm not going to jump into a mud pit". HAHAHA I got to chew on that foot.


We waded through the swamp, frequently. I'm 6 feet tall and the water was above my waist in some places. There was a lot of falling going on around us. Although I never bit the dust. Thank you baby J. I was fearful of hurting myself and not being able to run next weekend, I have a 10k.  We came acorss a girl who had to be taken off the trail by four wheeler because she broke her ankle. This run was no joke. Not to say we didn't cut up the whole time,because we did. Our group was a blast! We stuck together, helping one another when needed, and laughing along the way. There may have been singing.  Yes, we're obnoxious. I don't think I was ever able to run more the a quarter of a mile at a time as we'd come upon an obscatle, mud, or more swamp water. Summer's Eve is missing a wonderful advertising opportunity in Foam Fest. True story.


My biggest Foam Fest take away? Challenging personal fears.

I have a debilitating fear of heights. I don't do roller coasters. I don't do open stair cases. I don't like tall ladders. Balconies make me nervous. I would never ride in a hot air balloon. Bungee jumping- oh helll to the no. I like my feet to be on the ground. This is why God made me so tall. I never need to go any higher to get things done. I was able to challenge that fear at Foam Fest. Surprise surprise guess who loves a challenge?! We climbed a large cargo net that I was very fearful of, but I didn't want to pass up the obstacle. I hesitated at the top, and another runner offered to help me over, and I politely declined.  I wanted to challenge my fear. Crossing the top of the cargo net,  I felt like the girl from hat Citi Bank commercial- Somebody left the gate open!

There was a 30 foot slide entitled death drop. Climbing up on hands and knees I never let myself look backwards. I knew I'd freeze if I did. At the top, a woman was sitting on the slide, paralyzed with fear. I recognized the panic in her eyes. Knowing there was only one way down the death drop. I felt that familiar anxiety looking down the slide, and I said to her "You can do it!!" she giggled. Nervously. She sat there through two other people's descent. It was my turn and she was still sitting. Panic was all over her face. There was a group encouraging her to take the plunge from the bottom of the slide. Before I went down I said, "Really you can do this! I'm scared too". I took a deep breathe and took the plunge. It was exillerating to let go of that fear at the top of the slide. Yes, I screamed like a big girly girl.


I couldn't resist turning around to see if she'd conquered the fear. I saw her get off of the slide and hug a friend. She had done it. She smiled and waved to me mouthing thank you. The simple act of kindness is why I really love people. This small gesture from a total stranger was the most rewarding part of the day.

Madeline and I finished the race together. Flithy, foamy, and longing for a shower. Safe to say, we had a great time! Then we made our Momma's proud and changed cloths in the car in the parking lot. Diva status does not do wet cloths and an hour long car ride. What's really funny is we thought we were going to go outlet mall shopping after the race. HAHA. Foam fest won!

Saturday night, Kassie hosted a Skinny Girl's Dinner Party at her house. Insert lots of wine (substitutes a fruit right?!) and healthy eats. She's been planning this party for awhile now, even messaging everyone on Facebook to pick the best day for her group. She served up some wonderful skinny eats.Her presentation was phenomenal. Kassie has an eye for detail and she didn't miss a beat. Everyone didn't know one another, but we all made fast friends. I had such a great time getting to know some new people. I find the older we get the harder it is to make new friends, so I'm always down for social time with new people! We had such a great time, we've decided to make the skinny party a rolling thing switching houses per hostess and inviting more people! I'm already looking forward to next month's get together!

with the gorgeous hostess!

After the party, we met up with our men, because we just weren't ready for the fun to end. I may have laughed until I cried. Saturday = Success. My cheat meal for the week ended up with me eating a burger and frys at 2am. It was delicious. I have no regrets :) Today is rest day. Thank goodness! I'm off for some QT with my man. Hope you are all having a wonderful weekend!

Find me on FacebookBeachbodyPinterest, Instagram @ellenoelfitnessKeek, and My Fitness Pal!


Daily Motivator

9 comments:

  1. Ahh! We did the foam run too on Saturday! I'm bummed I didn't see you, I would have loved to meet you!! We had a of fun doing it but it was definitely not what I expected. They should just call it a dang mud run as there was way more mud than foam!! It was still an experience and I was exhausted afterwards! Glad you conquered your fears and had a good time :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for conquering fears and sexy girls in red!!! Weekend success topped with a delicious cheat meal!!! Love it!!!! Enjoy your QT with the main squeeze!!!! XOXO
    Elisha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that race sounds super duper awesome! I am so incredibly scared of heights that when I reach my goal I want to do something special ie bungie jump to challange that fear! Glad you got to challange yours.
    The Skinny Girl's dinner party sounds like such a great idea I want to try that with my friends (perfect excuse for skinny girl margaritas!!!)
    Have a great week.
    Love Gi
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awe your so sweet helping your fellow scared of heights girl out. It sounds like fun but in not down with getting dirty. Lol well at least not in a mud way. Love the dinner party idea that's awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to conquer your fears! I totally thought "foam 5K" meant, like, shaving cream. That would be more fun than a swamp. But you did it anyway!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that kind of run sounds awesome! Although I def agree, purposely getting dirty is not my thing. I was the kid who refused to play in the sandbox as a child because it was dirty - hahaha! Glad you enjoyed your Saturday!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That slide looks intense! I would of had to just go down as soon as I got to the top or I might have talked myself out of going at all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are an encourager!!
    Seriously!! Get that personal trainer certification and tell me where I sign up for sessions!!

    ReplyDelete