Friday, March 1, 2013

A Good Hard Struggle is Good for a Person & Weekly Weigh In

The title of this post may not make it seem like I'm in a fantastic mood, but I am. Really I am. It's Friday, whoa did that happen fast fast, it's the first of the month, hellloooo March, and that means Spring time is right around the corner. I LOVE spring. I love watching the grass turn green, I love wearing shorts and wedge sandals, planning for summer, pedicures dates with my favorite girls, camping trips, soaking up sunshine,  hiking, biking, running, drinking on patios (oh yeah!), and shopping for bright colored fun stuff! This will come as no surprise that I love all things sunshine and daisies. No, not you little Positive Patty. March is going to fabulous dah-ling just fabulous, I can feel it!

This week has gone famously. I feel nearly nearly fully recovered from last week's glorious half marathon experience, I've aced all of my post race work outs, and I've done well with eating, since returning from New Orleans and regaining my routine. I love routine.

What?? Elle Noel wasn't a little eating angel in New Orleans? NOPE.

Thanks to Kate for the action shot. Pizza at Midnight. 
Honestly, I was dreading the weekly weigh in. I even considered skipping it. Skipping the scale all together and coming up with some reason, any reason, to avoid this weekly post. I went back and forth internally over what to do, and in the end, I decided it's always best to face your fears. Avoiding the scale is something my former self would have done. Hide from the numbers, because if you don't face reality it isn't true. As if! 

There's a very important lady in my life, one who has always been there for me, who loves to tell me the truth about life, what's really important, and who's really important. She's been a constant cheerleader, a realist, and she's never been afraid to give it to me straight. I respect her immensely. I love her dearly. She makes the world's best gumbo and always stashes extra mashed potatoes off to the side for me over holiday dinners. She's kept my Donald Duck glass mug in her kitchen cabinet since I left it there when I was four years old after giving her the play-by-play of my life changing experiences in Disney World. She's my Grandmother. We'll just call her G. Cause she's fly like that.

(I'd post a picture of G and I for you, but I'm not sure she'd be happy with me blasting her on the interwebs. PSA- Never tick off your G ya'll. Not a good move)

Last night when I was plotting on how to avoid the big bad scale, more specifically this post, because I just KNEW I had gained weight, I thought about something she said to me over our last visit. I was complaining about a #firstworldproblem, quite literally wining into my chardonnay ( I have graduated from strawberry milk in a Donald Duck cup, phew!), probably having to forgo some name brand junk I had to have in place of having to do something really adult, like buy a new set of tires. I know. The horror. but I only have ONE Michael Kors watch! Or maybe I was complaining about work, someone who had ticked me off, comparing myself to someone who doesn't fight their weight because sometimes it just doesn't seem fair, blah blah random stuff we complain about, but you just have to get it out.

Whatever it was, in that moment, it was important to me. G and I talk a lot about life, and I have had my fair share of struggles, my life is NOT perfect, just like we all have our struggles, each and every one of us. G said to me,"A good hard struggle is good for a person, it will make you strong. Count your blessings and be happy for what you do have. When things come easy, we don't appreciate them as much as we should"  A struggle is good for a person. A struggle is good for a person. That really stood out to me, because it is so very true.

As scared as I was of the scale, since I wasn't a good girl for two days out of the last 7, in the end it's just a struggle I'm having with myself. Sometimes it worries me that these old scale fears are still present. YES it has gotten easier, but I still have insecurity in those numbers. This is one of my struggles. It always will be to some degree. I know it will, and that's OK, because this struggle makes me stronger each and every single day. That's why a struggle is good for a person. We learn from these struggles, finding happiness when things do go our way and hard work pays off, no matter how long it takes.

In the end, all this plotting and stress turns out to be completely unnecessary, I lost half a pound this week. I let out a huge sigh of relief after stepping on the scale. Silly girl with her #scaleproblems. I was being incredibly hard on myself, focusing on three bad eats, instead of the 5 great days. Or the fact that I ran a half marathon and completed all of my work outs Instead of focusing on all the great work I had done, I focused on those few bad choices. I know I'm not the only one to beat myself over a bad choice and to have scale anxiety, but each time I force myself to look past the numbers I surprise myself. I will overcome this struggle. I am determined to, and if there's one thing I know for certain about myself, when I set my mind to a goal, I am unstoppable. This girl is on fiyaaaa (Have I told you how much I love singing?)

4.5 pounds to goal. Who's ready to beast up on this cleanse next week? THIS GIRL!


Find me on FacebookBeachbodyPinterest, Instagram @ellenoelfitnessKeek, and My Fitness Pal!

Daily Motivator







20 comments:

  1. Love this post and LOVE the motivational pic at the end! I am sooo excited for spring to finally happen - I share your love for wedges & shorts, camping, outdoor running and BIKING! I cannot wait to hop on my bike and ride to my heart's desire....it's coming!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that a struggle is good for a person, gives us something to strive for and to work through. YOU my friend are amazing. Don't be so hard on yourself, cause in the end, it was all unnecessary! Way to go lady, you're almost there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. your Grandma sounds so awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. G ROCKs!!!!!! It must run in the family!!!! Happy Friday xOxO!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such great advice from your G! Mine always has good advice like that! And congrats on being that much closer to your goal!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. First of all, I want your grandma to be my grandma! She sounds like one heck of a great lady. Give her a kiss from me! ;) You're a lucky girl.

    Great post all around today! That's some real deep stuff in there, and all of it is so, so true. It's so easy to focus on our bad choices and forget all about the million good ones. Ahhh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your G and that quote! How awesome! I hate when I catch myself being down about #firstworld problems and I'm tots guilty of avoiding the scale this morning b/c of 2 bad days this week too! After reading your post, I'll put my big girl panties on and weigh in tomorrow. I'm so excited for you close to your goal weight, after this cleanse you will be there pow! You are on fiyaaa!!! bahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE this post!! Lord knows I have struggled with weight loss long enough - it's time to get stronger now =) ... Thanks for the motiviation! Love the pic at the end =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's such good advice from G...sounds like she knows her stuff! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your grandma is so right! Easy come, easy go, which is why those of us who have to struggle for fitness will hold it in a vice-like death grip for the rest of our lives!

    So glad you had a good weigh-in after all. A HALF-MARATHONER like you deserves nothing less! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great advice from your G-ma and woohoo on the 1/2 lb loss!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing about your struggles :) It's nice to know even skinny girls are human :) ha!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your G is awesome and this post is awesome. I've had a discouraging week and lots of work stuff going on, this is so what I needed to hear!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your grandma's words of advise. I've been struggling with the scale and a few bad days. Your words about focusing on the good and looking past the obvious to the other victories really helped me. This journey is amazing and if we look we will find tremendous progress other than the scale. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. G was spot on and couldn't be more true! Congrats on your successes this week. You've proven you can do anything and you just have to remember that.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your grandma was right on! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think your "G" is onto something. I was seriously just thinking this as the scale bitch slapped me for eating pizza even though that pizza is what fueled me to be able to run 11miles at 4am. (Pasta is not my friend). I thought about how some people want to lose weight and they can drop it like nobody's business in months what can take me a year of super hard workouts and eating hardly anything. BUT I also looked at what comes easy to me and I think we forget about that. So bring in the struggle of losing weight because I will cherish my victory so much more!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You have a very smart Grandma; good quote to carry you through whenever you encounter hard things. All that worrying & you still lost a half a pound? You'll be at goal in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Authentic Watches sells authentic brand watches, with some watches listed with a 75% discount.

    ReplyDelete