Sunday, February 3, 2013

Half Marathon Training Week 9- Lightning Strikes

Two more long runs before race day. It's hard to believe this journey to my first half marathon is rapidly winding down. Saturday was our last chance to back down in mileage, I'm following Hal Higdon's Novice 2 training program, I arrogantly decided to pass on the 5k run a few weeks ago, but I didn't want to make that mistake again in passing on the 10k run. Instead of running for distance, I challenged myself to run my fastest 10k yet. I set my personal record (PR) in November during the Cajun Cup at 1:00:10. I knew going into the run yesterday that I would need to focus on pacing, huge challenge for me, and I would have to dig really deep mentally to achieve the speed I wanted.  Saturday morning, I woke up and fueled with a Think Thin bar and water while putting together my run play list. A killer play list can really get me moving my buns fast fast!

Face Drop - Sean Kingston
Letting Go (Dutty Love) feat. Nicki Minaj- Sean Kingston
Better- K'naan
Fight for You-  Morgan Page
Catch My Breath-Kelly Clarkson
Louder- Chris Willis
Hall of Fame (will.i.am)- The Script
Your Body- Christina Aguilera
My Moment- DJ Drama
More- Usher
Boyfriend- Justin Bieber
Birthday Cake- Rihanna
I Made It (Cash Money Heroes)- Kevin Rudolf, Birdman, Jay Sean & Lil Wayne
Cinema- Benny Benassi
What About Us- The Saturdays
Who's That Chick? (feat Rihanna)- David Guetta
When Did Your Heart Go Missing?- Rooney
Let's Go- Calvin Harris
Part of Me- Katy Perry

I didn't plan to use any shot blocks or gu, but one of my run buddies gave me some orange shot blocks (with caffeine) and I ate two just before setting off on the run. I wasn't sure I'd be able to maintain the consistent 9:30 pace I needed to beat my previous time, however when I woke up Saturday morning, my legs felt great. No soreness or pain and I knew then that with enough focus I could bag this run time. My run buddy, pace car, and friend Kat couldn't make the run so I was doubly challenged to run this pace all by myself. Gulp. Big girl panty time.

In one hand I held my route map, and in the other I held my phone. I never once put the phone in my spi belt. The ap I use, Nike running, displays my pace and distance as I'm running and I have it set to talk to me every five minutes and tell me my pace and distance. I kept my eye on that pace number my entire run. I noticed a on several occasions that I was venturing into the 8 minute mile range, which I knew would be very bad as I'd expend to much energy and tank at the end of my run, so I'd bring it back down. When  I noticed my speed becoming to slow I'd pick it back up. I stopped for water just before 4 miles and I felt fantastic. I actually said out loud, all by myself "Holy smokes girl you are hauling ass!" I decided not to take time with another shot block since I only had two miles left to run. Not once did I think to about slowing down and not achieving a new PR. I was determined to beat my old time. At mile five I took a snap shot of my phone, another new PR for my 5 mile run. In my head, I was already celebrating.

9'06" is the number I watched the whole run. Pace!

Then at mile 5.8 it happened. I started getting tired. I had pushed myself way outside of my comfort zone and my head started playing tricks with me.

"Just slow down. You're going to beat your old time"
"Water. Need Water"
"You don't have to PR this run. It's not a race"
"Do you feel like you have something to prove?"

I actually thought that to myself. Did I feel like I had something to prove? YES. I had something to prove to myself. I was going to smoke the negative out of that old time. Because I CAN.

I ended my run with K'naan's Better blasting through my ear buds. Hauling butt like the crazy lady I am with big tears streaming down my face.

When I lose right now I'm betting all my chips
When I'm broken down I be brushing off my kicks
I'm a get it somehow yeah you can count on this
I'm only gettin better, better, better
I'm only gettin better, better, better
 
 
 
I have goose bumps right now just thinking about it. Yup. I did that!
 
Find me on FacebookBeachbodyPinterest, Instagram @ellenoelfitnessKeek, and My Fitness Pal!
 
Daily Motivator
 
 

14 comments:

  1. Congrats on a new PR!!! Very excited for your half!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAAAAYYYYYYY congrats!!! Girlfriend you are bad ass!!! Way to show um' how it's done! Like a BOSS!!!! XOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go boss lady! Way to shut that negativity out of your head! So proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome job on your 10K! I love my Nike+ app and I totally missed it on my 10K because I was running in underground caves with no cell service. Anyway, I know you are going to rock your half at the end of the month!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great run! Sometimes you just need to push yourself - you'll know when your body wants it and is ready. So if you feel it, go for it! And that's just want you did! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you are freaking awesome!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good job! Way to talk yourself through it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome! And you're not the only one to chat to yourself, haha.


    Sheree
    thehartungs.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  9. Way to go!!! I cannot wait to here about the actual race day!! You're going to kick some major ass!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job girl! Holy crap way to bust move! Question do those shot blocks affect your tummy. I had them once and it was not good. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome!!! You make me want to run (and I hate it!). I love the celebratory picture, it put a huge smile on my face!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on your PR and on your own, not in a race environment; those are the moments to really feel proud. You'll rock your upcoming 1/2!!

    ReplyDelete