Thursday, February 7, 2013

Circuit Training & Tabata Timer

Good morning Elle Noelers! I hope you're all having a fantastic week! It's been a busy one over in my neck of the woods,but it will all pay off tomorrow! This girl gets a four day weekend, hey hey hey Throw Me Something Mister and thank you Mardi Gras!

I have been working like a BEAST this week, as of Thursday morning I've logged 5 work outs and will finish my week off with eight on Saturday. My eating has been stellar... aside from the bag of popcorn I had Wednesday night.....and Tuesday night., but whatever I'm not going to beat myself about it. Running and two a days makes a girl hungry!What's up holler, Mardi Gras I am ready for you! I've had to make a few adjustments to my run schedule because the weather decided to be uncooperative with my boss lady agenda. That's ok, where there is a will there is a way!

No five mile run Wednesday night. Rain rain rain, womp womp womp. Instead, I did a killer round of treadmill circuit training to Tabata (details below) 

1 Mile Speed Run
Arms to Tabata Timer
1 Mile Run Uphill Intervals- 10 Minutes
Legs & Back to Tabata Timer
1 Mile Run Rolling "Hills"- 10 Minutes
Booty Work to Tabata Timer
1 Mile Run Uphill- 10 Minutes
Abs to Tabata Timer 
Stretch

I couldn't stand the thought of chaining myself to the treadmill for five miles, and the last time I did treadmill circuit training, my endurance level on the road spiked up big time, plus I still got in four miles. Ok so what is this tabata (TA- BAH-TA)  timer you want to know?! It's an easy peasy timed method of completing exercises. I use a free ap I downloaded for iPhone that times my work outs and allows me to play music at the same time. This girl can't get a thing done without her music, sing it to meh Usher!

Tabata is a four minute round of 20 seconds activity 10 seconds rest. When I use tabata I'll pick two arm moves for a total of four minutes, then switch to another two moves for another four minute round and so forth. Tabata is also an awesome way to get your heart rate back up after a period of rest ie burpees, mountain climbers, squats, plyo lunges in rounds of 20 seconds. 


Tabata is a fun way to change up your sets and free yourself up from counting. I really dislike counting my sets. When I work out with someone else, I almost always rely on that person, ahheem thanks Madeline, to count for me. Woopsies! 

The following are examples of two moves in four minute rounds:

Arms- Total 12 Minutes
Bicep Curls
Shoulder Press

Tricep Dips
Flys

Lateral Raises
Hammer Curls

Legs- Total 8 Minutes
Squats
Forward Lunges

Side Lunges
Backwards Lunges

Heart Rate- Total 8 Minutes
Curtsy Lunge with a Shoulder Press
Squat with a shoulder Press

Mountain Climbers
Plyo Lunges

Booty Work- Total 8 Minutes
Leg Extensions
Glute Raises

Fire Hydrate
Bridges

Abs- Total 8 Minutes
Rocking High Plank
Plank

Crunches
Russian Twists

In between each of those rounds I inserted 10 Minutes of Cardio- yesterday I chose to run a mile in between each. This was an amazing work out. While it did take me about an hour and 20 minutes to complete I never once felt bored and it was challenging! 

Who ran out and bought Miracle Rice yesterday? What ya gonna make with it?!

I have on hoop earrings today, and I just can't stop singing "I'm still Jenny from the block!" HA! Hope ya'll are having an awesome week! 


Find me on FacebookBeachbodyPinterest, Instagram @ellenoelfitnessKeek, and My Fitness Pal!

Daily Motivator


8 comments:

  1. You're a monster! Your dedication is crazy insane. Good for you!

    Sheree
    thehartungs.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  2. I downloaded this app yesterday and I am loving it!!! I am going to incorporate the treadmill like you did...I like it! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally going to download the app - sounds much easier than pulling up the stopwatch on my phone and fumbling around with it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to have to try your tabata routine. It looks Ah-mazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE tabatas! I have never done them with weights, but we used to do them all the time in a kickboxing with bags class... til they changed teachers, I plan to get my own bag one day and do my own!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you ever blogged about your music or workout playlists? I'm just starting to try to get one together for running, and I would love to know what you listen to!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This may be the dumbest question ever....but at my gym there's the whole "clean off the treadmill" rule after you use it. When doing this do you just do your tabata items near the treadmill and jump back on then go back to tabata? I know, what a nit picky question, right? haha There is the perfect space in front of the treadmills where I could bring some free weights to do arms and legs between runs. Plus I think I'm more likely to get more miles in by breaking it up like that instead of doing them all at once.

    ReplyDelete