Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Aches, Pains, & Half Recovery

Good morning! WHOA it's already Wednesday, I am loving this week! I'm still physically recovering from my first half marathon run this past weekend.  On Race Day, I really expended all of my energy and effort into that run that day. Which is what any runner will tell you they do on the day of a race. Save the big energy for the actual race. My legs are super sore and I'm definitely waking up in the morning walking like a Thriller video extra, however, it does get better through out the day. I'm a little nervous about my planned three mile recovery run this evening. I know it won't feel great, but it's something I need to do in order to move forward in recovery.  Throughout training each short run following a long run has been slow and difficult, but making myself complete these runs helped not only with physical strength but also mental endurance. The brain plays a big a factor in a long run as shoes, music, and breathing.

Tuesday night was my first post half work out, and much to my surprise, it felt absolutely fantastic! I completed 30 minutes on the stair master and 35 minutes on the elliptical trainer focusing on low impact activities in an effort to give my legs some recovery time. I worked on upper body and core strength training in between rounds of cardio.

The truth about running and my body-
Any runner will tell you that running comes with aches and pains. The body absorbs three times it's weight with each step on the pavement, over time,  that continuous pounding will add up. I have noticed with increasing mileage, especially in the last few weeks, that my body has become better adjusted to these long runs and with time, that endurance level will continue to increase. One thing I haven't talked much about on the blog is how heavily I relied on anti-inflammatory medication to complete half training and reach my goals. I was taking 4 Motrin two afternoons per week before short runs, four Motrin the evening before a long run, and four Motrin the mornings of the long run. The sore tight feeling in my legs, has been a nearly a constant. Training for a long run like this really takes a toll on the body. I'm not sure if my leg soreness is more or less than others, or if it's just not something people talk a whole lot about. I don't want to feel dependent on any type of medication, even if it's just Motrin/ Ibuprofen  so I opted to stop taking the anti inflammatory post half, at least for a week or so. Things that have helped me with leg soreness- losing the high heels. I've been avoiding them at all costs. Stretching my hips and calves. The hip that I injured last summer has never felt like it made a full recovery, but I've been working on strengthening and stretching. Don't skip out on stretching after a run or during training. Another thing I wish someone would have reminded me to do before the race- trim your toe nails down to nubs.I forgot to do this before the half and I am paying for it now!

Low impact recovery activity and, during training, Motrin was my very best friend. My body does feel like it is finally becoming accustomed to all the high mileage I've worked up and I do not want to back down as I'll need to do rack up more mileage to train for the full. I'm taking it one day at a time at present, sans the Motrin. I don't want to scare anyone with this post, the good far outweighs the bad, but running does come with aches and pains. It is fact, it is what it is.

In other news, so many of you are excited about the 10 day herbal cleanse! I'm super pumped to get going with it on Monday, March 4th! Be sure and place your order with with Kelly Larrow here. I can't wait to get going and hear about every one's amazing results! I'm shooting for five pounds. My last five pounds. I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.... 



Find me on FacebookBeachbodyPinterest, Instagram @ellenoelfitnessKeek, and My Fitness Pal!

Daily Motivator




10 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shoutout! If anyone has any questions about the cleanse or any other products, feel free to email me at klarrow103@Gmail.com!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey girl! I am curious... all I have been doing since I started a week and a half ago (gawsh I feel like such an amateur) is running. ...and I am obsessed with it!!!! ...my question is so far I have been running Mon-Wed {break on Thursday}, run Friday and well I had a break the entire weekend last weekend LOL. I plan on for sure doing zumbas on Saturday which starts this week. When should I do strength and what should I do? I have no idea but I know I need to build up muscle, etc... I have Jillian Michaels shred but wasn't sure that was enough?! HELP ME! ...also... I want to do that Advocare Cleanse. I tried getting ahold of your friend through her website to order it but I haven't heard back from her yet. Is there a quicker way to get ahold of her?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Marcy- email me at klarrow103@gmail.com and I can get you some info on the cleanse!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for talking about the aches and pains of running. It's not always sunshine and runner's high. I almost have myself talked into this cleanse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girl I feel your pain except just in my hip. I started taking osteo biflex. Yes the elderly joint med. I'll let you know if it helps. I've found that drinking 24 oz of water post run really helps me with muscle soreness as well as thise elderly diabetic compression socks. Although I'm sure you already drink the water and wear the sleeves instead. And that darn recovery run. Gaa I hate my Mondays after my long Saturdays but like you said get it out of the way. I hope your run goes well

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! Have you taken ice baths after long runs before? I cannot tell you how much that helped with soreness - I had very little soreness after each long run and I think it had everything to do with the ice bath. Also, cinnamon is supposed to be anti-inflamitory aid, so you could look into that as an alternative to actual medication. Congrats on the run! My PR is 2:10 and I am hoping to get sub 2 in my next half in October (it's too dang hot in Texas to run in the summer!). I have one question about the cleanse - I have heard that when one does these sort of "diet" cleanse things, that they end up gaining it all back and then some - so I am a little hesitant to try it - is this a concern of yours?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing about the other side of running...Im working on my measly one mile right now but plan on running for life :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have you tried foam rolling? I was having the same leg soreness (even aching at night) when I started back to running after being off having my baby (was on bed rest for the last half of my pregnancy). I got a foam roller for $25 on Amazon and rolled after each of my runs and the soreness completely went away! Now I'm a foam rolling convert!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I relied on NSAIDs for my half too and I feel achier now post-race without them. I'm really curious to try this cleanse...everyone is doing it and I want to too! Peer pressure :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just want to say THANK YOU for posting this! I am only two full weeks into training and was beginning to wonder if I am the only person on the planet who feels the need to pop ibuprofen or some other anti-inflammatory. It's nice to hear other struggles from someone who has successfully completed a half. Makes me feel like I will make it through regardless of the wear and tear on my body. :-)

    ReplyDelete