Sunday, January 20, 2013

Half Marathon Week 7- Big Ole 9 Miler

Oh all my gees. I ran NINE 9 whole miles yesterday. If you'd have asked me if I thought I could run 9 miles a few months ago, I would have laughed in ya face. Just this week, I was reading back on 10k training week 2, when I thought running 3.5 miles was a HUGE deal. Remembering how I felt about that run and how difficult it was, I ran nearly 3 times that Saturday, it makes me feel so intensely proud of myself. I'm running my first half marathon in 5 weeks. Wrap ya head around that. WHOA- Joey Style.

My goal for the nine mile run was to focus on pacing. I have major pacing issues ya'll. I start off my runs feeling like I'm flying through the clouds, blasting through miles at a fast pace. I can run a 9:15-9:30 for 5-6 miles and then my endurance starts to tank. I wanted to really focus on my long term endurance and finishing the nine miles strong.

I woke up at 6:00am Saturday morning and ate a Think Thin bar and drank a glass of water. I knew we wouldn't start running until about 8:15 so I felt I had plenty of time to digest breakfast. I packed Shot Blocks for run fuel and headed out the door to meet my soul sistas.

Running Fuel!



My friend Kat and I are following the Novice 2 program together and run comfortably at the same pace. Well Kat sets a pace that I aim to follow, because she never tanks at the end of a run.  Anywho, the whole run I felt like I was holding back on speed, but I resisted the urge to pick up the pace, knowing my history of tanking at the end of a run. We ran comfortably at 10:10-10:20 for 8 miles. We stopped for water and refueling at 4.5 miles. The whole run felt amazing. I never felt fatigued or exhausted and was able to keep consistent pace for the entire run. No speedy Gonzales turns into a tortoise at the end. After we rounded 8 miles, we still had some gas left in the tank, so we picked up the pace and ran the last mile the fastest at 9:40.

I really think the interval training I've been doing on the treadmill is the biggest factor in my upped endurance and speed or maybe it's crossing the halfway mark in training and my body is adjusting, whatever the case, I'm very happy with my progress. Additionally, having someone to run these long routes with makes the entire experience more enjoyable times ten. I know I'll inevitably run the actual half marathon race faster then normal. The race day energy really gets me going ya'll, but I'm determined to set a consistent pace for myself, which I absolutely did not do during the 10k race. I allowed myself to be influenced by faster runners at the beginning of the race and I tanked at the end. I want to finish strong for the half!

Half Marathon Week 7- 9 Mile Run Playlist

E.I.- Nelly
Wat Da Hook Gon Be- Murphy Lee
Who's That Chick? (feat. Rihannna) David Guetta
Suit & Tie (feat JAY Z) - Justin Timberlake
Fergalicious- Fergie
Glamorous- Fergie
Shoop- Salt-n-Pepper
If I Lose Myself-OneRepublic
Catch My Breath- Kelly Clarkson
Louder (Put Your Hands Up)- Chris Willis
Bad Girls (Nick Thayer Remix)- Step Up Revolution
Don't You Worry Child- Swedish House Mafia
Feel Again- One Republic
Hall of Fame (feat will.i.am)- The Script
Va Va Voom- Nicki Minaj
Money Make Her Smile- Bruno Mars
Your Body- Christina Aguilera
Live While We're Young- One Direction
Good Time- Owl City & Carly Rae Jepson
Let's Go (feat Ne-Yo)- Calvin Harris
Hiigher- Taio Cruz & Travie McCoy
Fighter- Christina Aguilera
Survivor- Destiny's Child


Let's be real. My legs are super sore today, but I feel like a champ. I seriously LOVE to run :)

Find me on FacebookBeachbodyPinterest, Instagram @ellenoelfitnessKeek, and My Fitness Pal!
Daily Motivator

11 comments:

  1. Get it!
    I love following your exercise and running journey!!
    You're such an inspiration!
    Have a great week!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your 9 miler!!! Way to go girlfriend! The hand is going to be a breeze for ya!!! Happy Weekend XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. woo hoo! once it's warmer around here I'm going to start training for my half marathon next October...now I can't imagine running 3 miles let alone 13.1 miles!! you go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations lady :) And I love that you included a Friends reference, I love me some friends - own all the seasons :) Youre my inspiration - thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats! You are amazing girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's awesome!!!! Congrats girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome! I love reading this, I am at the "oh my goodness I just finished 3 miles" point so watching your progress is really encouraging. =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. AMAZING girl!! I am so proud for you! you are going to rock that half :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job! Each time you do a new distance, you just surprise yourself and a whole new level of runner's high opens up! It's amazing!

    Also, I love that this song is on your playlist - I haven't heard it in forever:

    E.I.- Nelly

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's great! I'm running a half marathon on May 5th - my first. I'm running my 2nd 5K in 2 weeks and then from there, will do a 12 week training program. I am thinking Novice 1 or 2 as well. I enjoy your blog :)

    ReplyDelete