Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Food is Fuel

Good morning! If you're new today welcome! I'm so happy Holly sent you over to my little smidgen of pigeon corner of the world wide webs. Be sure and head over to find me on Instagram @ellenoelfitness and Facebook for more bebble babble from me throughout the day. I heart over sharing. Don't you?! Big hugs social media, big hugs.

I've been up to my same ole shenanigans this week and following my weekly work out goals! I'm on day three gluten free (5 day challenge) and I feel amazing. I feel so good I even decided to throw in an extra work out this morning! I've been avoiding two- a- days (two works in one day) during half marathon training (currently on week 8 of 12) as I don't want to over train, however I was really itching for an extra cross training session.

Work Out Breakdown
45 Minutes Elliptical
20 Minutes Forward
20 Minutes Backward
5 minute Blast it out Combo
Your Best Butt - added weight to squats & lunges
All Over Abs - extended planks by 30 seconds


Last night I had a conversation with one of my very dear friends about food,  and why it's so hard to let go of old habits. The particular old habit? Food dependency. You know what I'm talking about, you had a bad day or you're feeling bad about work/failing friendship/ lack of romantic relationship/ an unhappy relationship/ it's that time of the month/ you're jealous of your skinny friend who appears to have it all without even trying (she doesn't really have it all I promise) circumstance occurring in your life and you use food to quiet those feelings.

You eat to make yourself feel better, and then you're left feeling worse.

Maybe a bad food day turns into a bad week, a bad month, and then you blink five times fast and you're gaining weight again. We had a frank discussion concerning exercise and weight loss. There's no way to sugar coat it, you can work out three times a day, run 10 miles on a Saturday, eat like crap all day and you're not going to lose weight, you're probably going to gain. It's a harsh reality.

We often think, well I did X and X today at the gym, so that extra serving isn't going to hurt me, I'll just have one more little snack before bed, or ahhh whatever it's just a crescent roll. All of those "oh whatever I worked out today" eats add up. When we're working hard at the gym we expect results. Plain and simple. When you've got sweat dripping off your face and rolling onto the floor, you expect the scale to reflect that hard work. If you don't follow an eating plan, you're essentially undoing all of that hard gym work.

I know she's not alone in feeling this way about food. I know this because I've felt this way before. I even gained weight working out regularly and eating whatever the heck I wanted. The fact is as a former fatty or former fatty in progress, wherever you are in your relationship with your body, food will ALWAYS be a crutch. You've spent a large chunk of your life building an extremely unhealthy relationship with food, "I just can't quit you!" it's going to take more than a day, a month, or in my case two years to undo all of those habits.

We call recovering addicts recovering for a reason. They will always be addicted. Guess what? As a former fatty you're always going to be an addict. I will always be addicted to food, but I am retraining myself to think of food as fuel for good feelings instead of fuel to nurse bad feelings.

Over time, we begin undoing old habits and building new ones, and when the old habits creep in for a day, you can't wait to banish those feelings. They no longer tie you down and spear you with food guilt that steam rolls into weight gain.

Every day/week/month won't be easy. There's going to be setbacks but the most important lesson of all is to pick yourself up and try again.

It's just food. We need it to live. We need it for energy. We don't need it to make ourselves feel better about a bad day. That's just cray. Commit to your goals and to yourself, you deserve to feel great about the body you walk around in every single day!

Trust me, it feels way better to love yourself long term versus loving yourself with potato chips for an hour because you had a bad day.





Find me on FacebookBeachbodyPinterest, Instagram @ellenoelfitnessKeek, and My Fitness Pal!

Daily Motivator


22 comments:

  1. After a run in with cupcakes last night, this is just what I needed to hear! I even said to myself in Elle Noel fashion "Man, I feel like a busted can of biscuits" when I woke up! One slip up doesn't ruin your whole journey - as long as you make the decision to get back on track. Thanks for this post! Have a great day, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. your entire post today i'm like... 'wow did elle read my mind!?' I've been kicking ass in the gym and ran 5 miles for the first time on Sunday. So mentally I've been like.. heyyy I'll just eat this extra serving of X or I'll just grab this handful of chocolate chips. Um HELLO - doesn't work like that, and I know that (biggest diet mistake of all time). But, I needed the reminder from myself (and from you, thanks to your lovely post) and I need to be mad at myself today after I gained a pound in the last week (trying hard to re-focus and not be mad). Thanks for your lovely post, as always. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're so dern motivational!!
    Thanks for the honest and sincere truth.
    You should really become a trainer!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A-freaking-men sista!! I wish more people would just eat and eat the good stuff. 100 calories of sugar cookie is so different than 100 calories of lean protein.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAY girl - yay. That last pic had me rolling. Happy Wednesday lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! I just wrote about this on my blog today. Great minds think alike!
    You're so right! Thanks for being a constant motivator!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are such a great inspiration. Love the motivation, keep it up because I'm going to need it once I pop this kiddo out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. love that last picture....that feeling really DOES SUCK!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Preach girl! You're so right. It's so hard to understand when you haven't been there. I gave up soda and sweet tea a year ago and this year I gave up sweets and dessert (as my New Year's Resolution). I'm about a month in and I have had bad, emotional craving moments. Some of my friends think I'm nuts to give it up, but they don't understand how a cupcake can leave your self-esteem in a crumpled up ball on the floor. Apple slices never made anybody feel bad about themselves. Nobody ever looked in the mirror and called themselves fat because they ate too much lettuce. Since I've given up the sweet stuff, I've noticed a lot of changes (besides weight loss). My moods don't swing so far, my skin is clearer, and I just feel better in general, but I have moments where I crave and I realize how far I still have to go. It just made me realize how often I would reach for food as a comfort before. I've never considered myself to be a 'food addict' or an 'emotional eater', but more than a few pints of Bluebell have soothed away a bad day. It's definitely a process..Great post!
    -Miranda

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just clicked over from Alexa's blog and I'm SO glad I did. I've started a new healthy lifestyle within the past couple of months and it's tough! I need all the motivation I can get :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this post. I'm just learning that food is for fuel only. I'm so mad I let it get this far, because when it doesn't come off as fast as I put it on, it's beyond frustrating! I've been eating a ton better, counting calories, and doing the treadmill....very slowly but doing it. Afterall, last time I was "working out" I was probably 70 pounds lighter! I've made big changes in the last 4 weeks, but I'm not noticing any real weight loss which is upsetting as well. Gotta keep on keepin on though right!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amen, sister friend! It's so easy to get cocky during a good week, but like you said, this will be a struggle for a long time! Vigilance!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So necessary for me today! I let myself eat what I wanted last night at a work party and felt like CRAP last night and this morning. My stomach was not a fan of all the brie I inhaled. Since I didn't really 'eat dinner' I let myself eat what I wanted there. MISTAKE! Back on the calorie counting wagon again this AM. No more falling off. I'm not busting my butt at Insanity at 5 a.m. for nothing! Thanks for the kick in the butt ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ugh, it's so true! I know I'm an emotional eater and I've been trying to learn when to recognize that. This past weekend I've been a "I'm too tired to care what I eat" eater. *le sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  15. "what would Giselle do"

    LOVE that!!!! also looks like you were doing the elliptical looking at a swimsuit mag... very good idea, esp for operation red bikini!!!! :)


    happy wednesday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amen. I know all about this. I didn't lose a single pound while training for half marathon last year. I though that since I was running that I could eat whatever I wanted. WRONG!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can totally relate to this. Cookies are my weakness!

    ReplyDelete
  18. two workouts in one day!! that is awesome. and so agree with loving yourself long term- just what i needed to hear today!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm already and Instagram follower, but I'm so happy I found your blog! I feel like we're sisters from another mister! I'm 5'1" and was 195 pushing into a size 18 when I knew I had to do something! That was in December of 2012 and now I wear a 2 petite!

    ReplyDelete
  20. So glad I found you through Holly's blog. Exactly what I needed to hear. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete