Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Failing to Prepare is Preparing to Fail

More gloom and doom deep down south ya'll. Womp womp. More rain. More cold. The upside? The sun is supposed to make an appearance tomorrow- all my fingers and toes are crossed. When I close my eyes I can see the sun peaking out from behind a cloud, shy to make an appearance because it's running atrociously late for the party. Oh just come on out we'll all forgive you little friend. Seriously. Come out now.

Think good thoughts, think good thoughts, think good thoughts:


Last night I got in my 3 miles on the treadmill, womp womp womp, but it got done. Madeline showed up like my own little ray of sunshine as I was at about 2.5 and asked me to do Jessica Simpson's Daisy Duke Work Out from Pinterest with her. Der , I said, "hellllsss yes". This was a fantastic work out. It's an interval training routine with lower body concentration. The bad news is, I messed up my left knee some kind of way, ya more injuries what's up holler!, honestly I'm so accustomed to working around an injury at this point it doesn't really phase me. Wear flats, take Motrin, keep running. Do not stop running.

Today I want to talk about FOOD. It's the biggest piece of the weight loss puzzle, and the hardest to slide into place. Some people have to diet super strictly in order to lose (a HEM like me) and some people are lucky and can just switch up a few things and start dropping l-bs. I know, I know life ain't fair. Get ova it already! The biggest component is being prepared. If you do not prepare and plan you will fail. It's pretty plain and simple. Womp Womp! but if you prepare it's Woop Woop! See how that works? It's a beautiful thing!

At my house, I'm only cooking for two, which make things easier in some ways and more challenging in others as my better half doesn't always want to eat what 'm cooking, so I frequently am left with left overs. I don't necessarily plan out what I'm going to eat each and every single day at the start of the week before I head out grocery shopping. I have staple items from which I can prepare many different dishes. So If I get home in the evenings and decide- meh I want spaghetti tonight instead of grilled fish and veggies- I can have spaghetti! If I want soup, I'm prepared to make that as well!

I keep my house stocked with the following items at all times-

2 Cartons Egg Whites
Gallon of Skim milk
Spinach
2 Bell Peppers
Mushrooms
2 Bags Fresh Salad
Frozen Berry Medley
Dannon Greek Yogurt Fruit on the Bottom (80 Calories Double Protein)
Ground Turkey
Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
Sliced Turkey (Deli Meat)
Lean Ground Beef
2% or Reduced Fat Shredded Mexican Cheese
Natural Peanut Butter
California Blend Fresh Frozen Vegetables
California Blend Frozen Broccoli
1 Head of Cauliflower
Baby Carrots
Celery Hearts
Tiliapia Filets
Spaghetti Squash
Reduced Fat Crescent Rolls
100% Whole Wheat Bread and Tortilla Wraps
Reduced Fat String Cheese
Coffee
Truvia
Assorted Fresh Fruit
Salsa (I use as Salad Dressing)
Think Thin Bars &100 Calorie Think Thin Bites
No Salt Added Corn & Green Beans
Reduced Sodium Black Beans
Non Fat Plain Greek Yogurt
Taco Seasoning
Tomato Sauce
Rotel
Prego "Smart" Tomato Sauce
Enchilada Sauce
Diet Sodas
Shakeology

Guilty Pleasures-
94% Fat Free Act 2 Popcorn
100 Calories Bite Chocolate Covered Pretzels
Stealing a handful (or three) of my husbands potato chips

I'm not perfect. I eat things I shouldn't, and I'm not eating squeaky clean each and every day. Recently, I've been going long stretches (4-5 days) without consuming simple carbohydrates, bread and bread products, When I begin to feel a diet has become to restrictive, I take a step back, reevaluate my plan, and take a break. Recently, this has begun to feel extremely restrictive. When I diet is too restrictive, it will typically lead to a major binge, which is bad bad bad. I used to be a chunky monkey girl, I really like to eat, and that has not changed. Habits that we've built over many years will take much longer than a year or two to break. While I won't say it is a challenge every single day, because at this point it isn't. The way I eat is my way of life. I do have days (usually on the weekend when structure has been taken away) when I want to say, "I'm over this. I'm eating whatever I want today because I deserve it. I worked really hard this week.".
 It is incredibly hard to stop the cycle of rewarding yourself with food. Don't undo your hard work!

The most obvious problem in changing the way we eat- making poor choices is significantly easier than making the right choices. If you have no plan and your hungry when someone says to you, "Oh come on it's just one meal. Let's go eat Chinese, I'm just itching for shrimp fried rice and wontons". What are you gonna do? You probably going to say, "OK, I'll get back on track tomorrow. Shhhh don't you tell anyone I'm eating this" and maybe tomorrow is a good day. What happens the following day when you're running late and you convince yourself you have no other choice but to grab Taco Bell for lunch (Well everyone else at the office is doing it) or stop for a McGriddle for breakfast? or you just had that one piece of cake for a co-workers birthday? or it's Friday, we always eat bad at lunch on Friday cause we made it through another week, YAY bring on the burritos! Guess what? You ain't losing weight this week, and it's not even weekend time yet!

You give 100% of yourself to your kids, your spouse, your family, your friends, your job, why wouldn't you give 100% of you to you? Give 100% commitment to yourself and your goals. You deserve it!

Eat like Crap=Feel like Crap

Eat Clean =Lean Machine

Follow me on Instagram @ellenoelfitness, I'm pretty good about taking pictures of nearly every thing I eat.

Here's a look at some recent choices...


 


What have you planned to eat today!?


Find me on FacebookBeachbodyPinterest, Instagram @ellenoelfitnessKeek, and My Fitness Pal!
Daily Motivator






19 comments:

  1. great advice! loved this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wanted you to know that in addition to my reguarly blogging about my life, I am now starting to blog about my weight loss journey all thanks to you!
    I have really been inspired by you and your experiences. i feel that blogging about my weight will be a catalyst for my transformation.
    Thanks for your inspiration!! BTW, expect a shout out to you fabulous blog in the next few days!!!
    Kate :)

    http://nytjerseygirl.blogspot.com/2013/01/time-for-transformation.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love love love this post, of course. You kept it real without making it sound impossible. I especially love this part:

    You give 100% of yourself to your kids, your spouse, your family, your friends, your job, why wouldn't you give 100% of you to you? Give 100% commitment to yourself and your goals. You deserve it!

    So true and so easily forgotten. We've got to stop think of a binge or unhealthy food as a reward and looking at eating healthy and making good choices as the reward.

    Very well written friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. UGH, food rewards can totally mess up a girl's mind. They're so ingrained into our heads and it's SO hard to get away from them. But you're completely right in that it's such an important step!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for this! I really needed some help in the food department. I think I'm just going to print this post and hang it on the fridge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Girl eating is the HARDEST part for me. I love food - like LAAAAAAAAAAHUVE it. I agree preparing is "key". Happy Wednesday - hope the rain subsides soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! And so true. You're totally right about giving 100% to everything in your life and not giving it to yourself. I think that is a huge struggle for a lot of people. They think they're being selfish when in fact they're just being smart...and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your tips and tricks, and your grocery list inspires me to switch it up next week when I go to the store! Sorry about all the rain, that sounds like it could get depressing quick! Crossing my fingers for some SUN!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The subject of this post is SO TRUE! Today is one of those days where my plan went out the window (little one is with me at work because she is sick) so we've ate crap for lunch. Instead of drowing in my sorrows, I've planned dinner in my mind and will make enough for me to have lunch tomorrow... back on track! Thanks for the food list!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the great tips! I am not going to lie. I was at MCD this morning getting a McGriddle. It was very tasty, but now I feel like crap!

    I agree that if you don't plan then you are just planning to fail. My post is pretty much all about my lack of planning. Womp.Womp.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I made your skinny spaghetti squash bake last night and while the husband was on his 3rd helping he said, 'Man this is good' #WINNING! Thanks for over sharing on IG and for posting helpful hints and tips like these.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You've got me hooked on Think thin bars! I love the chocolate caramel and try not to eat one every.single.day. Also, your bigasssalads are da best! If you ever wanna quit your job, become a life coach and open a salad food truck..we need more of those in the world! Happy Hump day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this post and really has me thinking - youre so right - it's hard to stop the cycle of rewarding oneself with food - I think Im going to reward myself with something even better :) A new wallet- to be blogged about today - thanks for getting my creative juices flowing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I so love this post! I can identify with every single part of it. I had a high school teacher and if I never remember anything she said I'll always remember her telling us that no one plans to fail, they just fail to plan. She of course was referring to our school work, but it's really a life lesson.
    I so loved this part of your post:
    "You give 100% of yourself to your kids, your spouse, your family, your friends, your job, why wouldn't you give 100% of you to you? Give 100% commitment to yourself and your goals. You deserve it!"
    I'm quilty of this big time. It's so hard to think about myself, but I guess there's a reason for the saying "When mama's happy everybody's happy."

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is sooo true! I am on low calorie diet and i workout everyday. I tried the low carb and i just cant do it. I would say I have one "bad" day during the week and one "bad" day during the weekend. I am s stay at home mom, i am always home aorund food and giving my toddler snacks all the time, it is hard to resist the food! When I am with my family and all their good eats I. just. cant. control. myself. When I cant control myself, i feel like this big monster that eats everything in site and then 10 minutes later, yes 10 minutes because i eat that fast, i sit there and think, "what the hell did i just eat?!" i scare myself when i do that. I am addicted to foooood! I am not that far from my "goal" weight and that tends to make it so so so much harder! I love following your blog because i can relate to you because you dont have much more to lose, and i am training for a 10k not a half. ha. i just started running in november. thanks for the inspiration and motivation!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good point about 100% commitment to myself. Why oh why do we sell ourselves short. I've been doing this all my life. Thank you for reiterating that a healthy happy me is just as important. And thanks for posting what you're eating. It really helps:) thanks doll!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am SO GLAD you put all of this into a post...definitely saving this to keep me fresh on my recipe ideas! You are becoming a pro at this whole skinny girl thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just now posted about this - I hope that it's alright that I mentioned your name :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your journey is such an inspiration! I've been following for a few weeks and your story is very motivating. The title of this post - failing to prepare is preparing to fail is SO SO true for me. If I dont plan out my food choices carefully, I make bad last minute choices or get stuck with taking 4 apples to work like I did today! I just started my weight loss journey and I'm currently in my 3rd week and blogging about it. Check it out if you're interested. I've enjoyed reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete