Thursday, December 13, 2012

Liebster, Eating, & Speed Training

Housekeeping! I've been nominated by a bunch of you for the Liebster Award over the last several days- while I am super duper uber flattered Rebecca at Poisoned Perception beat you to the punch in October - you can read my Liebster post here. A little get to me post if you will :)

Challenge Day 5- I feel thin, especially around my mid section, that is one thing no carbs will do for you without a doubt! Here's a look at some of my bread less meals-


Chicken Shawarma Salad to Go


Grilled Salmon & Steamed Broccoli


Skinny Taste's Turkey Chili Taco Soup - I've been eating off this all week!

Grilled Chicken and Steamed Vegetable Medley

 I've heard lots of discussion lately about how going into a strict, clean, low carb diet can be super scary, and starting off any new lifestyle change by making drastic changes can be setting yourself up to failure. I whole heartedly believe that. Extreme is not good.

Over the last two years, I've been slowly making small changes which have added up to big changes over time, and with each added food "restriction" my thought process has changed too.  Jada Pinkett Smith was quoted this summer saying, "I don't eat for pleasure" now I don't want to be Jada, but I think she has a point. When we stop looking at food as a pleasure source, and begin fueling our bodies with pleasure from other areas- get your mind out of the gutter I mean exercise, self confidence, and hot cloths (ok ok maybe some bow chicka wow wow too)- food stops controlling us. The allure of the lunch time splurge, the dinner splurge, and dessert begins to dissipate. When food stopped controlling me, I finally started to live. That said, I always allow myself one night a week, usually Saturday, when I'll eat whatever I choose and have drinks with family & friends. However, even on "Faturday" I still make wise choices. If I eat a giant plate of pasta- I'm going to feel like shat. When is your favorite meal to "splurge"?

Speed Training-

Christin over at Classy Southern Wife is a fast fast runner. She's also a certified running coach- the girl knows her stuff. She recommended this speed work out for me from Peanut Butter Fingers.

I did the work out once a week starting week 4 during 10k training.
Look at how quickly my averages times increased.

Week 1- 3.23 Miles- 10:51 Average
Week 2- 3.5   Miles- 10:25 Average
Week 3- 4.0   Miles- 10:46 Average
Week 4- 4.0   Miles- 10:40 Average
         Started Speed Training
Week 5- 4.5   Miles- 10:16 Average
Week 6- 5.0   Miles-  9:47 Average
Week6- 6.12  Miles- 10:37 Average  
RACE DAY- 6.2 Miles 9:36 Average 

Last night I did speed training, but I had to do my own thing, because I forgot my paper detailing the workout. I warmed up at an 8% incline 4.0 for 5 minutes. Then I ran at 1% speed 6.3 for a few minutes, then up to 6.5 for a minute, then three at 7.0, one at 7.5, one at 8.0, bring it down for a minute to recover, then I repeated the above. I through in sprints at one point, meaning set the treadmill at 8.5- run for 30 seconds step off and recover for 15, run for 30, repeat. I basically played around until I hit three miles. Then I cooled down for a few minutes at 8% incline 4.0 speed for 5 minutes. I was on the treadmill for about 32 minutes.

I'm going to do speed training once a week. My goal is to complete the half in 02:15:00. I want to be fast! The fastest mile I've ever run outside on my own was 8:36, and I did it on a little nothing run after work without really trying. I'm so excited to see how far I can push myself!

Caroline, super fast running lady, over at Simply Smithwick told me, "If you want to be fast, you have to train fast!" Wasssupppp! Be sure and head over to tell Caroline congratulations on her new baby boy! So exciting!!

Tomorrow is the weekly weigh-in- let's see what the big bad scale has to say about the no carb challenge!

Thursday! My second most favorite day of the week! My outfit is boring today- it's cold outside peeps!


 
Daily Motivator
 
 
 

11 comments:

  1. Oh my word all that food looks delish. Does not help that I'm sitting at work starving and all I've got is a brown banana. Bleh.

    On another note....my outfits have been really dull this week too. When it's freezing I just want lots and lots of comfy layers (and my Uggs which I may or may not have worn almost everyday ha)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That salad looks YUMMY!!!!! I'm a new follower of your blog and I LOVE IT!!! You are such an inspiration!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let me just tell you I am in love with this challenge. I feel great! I don't have the 'blahs' and I feel like it is easier to get out of bed in the morning. Have and awesome Friday Eve!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE your comments on not using food as a source of pleasure - because I definitely do that!

    If there's one thing I have learned from this dang challenge, it's that I don't NEED so many carbs - I am doing just fine without them! And I can make it through a giant craving attack and not die (even though it might feel that way - dramatic much?!) When I don't give into my cravings every single time, I feel so much better. And it actually got easier after the 4th day! I'm feelin good and ready to do another :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Girl that salad looks amazing!!! Probably going to have a salad today!! :)
    Also I need to make that soup! I love that soup I usually make it by now.
    You're looking amazing! Keep up the hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my..that salad looks amazing! I'm craving it now, even at 9 am :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely agreeing with Kara G. in that during this challenge I definitely do not need those carbs and can live without them. (Although maybe not forever!) Looking forward to see what my scale has to say tomorrow but mostly I'm pretty amazed by how I feel the past few days! Love this post and thanks for doing this challenge. Everyone doing it has kept me motivated and accountable! You're truly an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am doing surprisingly well eliminating the starchy carbs. I have lost the desire for sweets. WOOT WOOT! I need that plate of yours. It's adorbs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this advice about eating...I have been training myself to think this way. Also, thanks for "introducing" me to more runners that know their stuff. I'll be checking them out now! Love this blog community! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't think your outfit looks boring! It looks so polished. I really like your gray dress pants.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ack, I have been carbing it up lately and that needs to stop. Your note about feeling thin especially around your midsection has me thinking I should try your no-carbs-every-other-day approach!

    ReplyDelete