Monday, November 12, 2012

The Best Weekend Ever Part One

This past weekend was way up there on my best weekend ever list. The number one best weekend ever would be the one where Mr. Noel & I got married, the second would probably be the weekend my Mother birthed 10lb 6oz baby Elle Noel (Probably the reason I'm an only child), and third, the weekend I ran my first 10k. All of the training completely paid off and lived up the hype. Huge thank you to everyone for the supportive pre-race texts and Instgram love. Surprised, touched, amped, extreme happiness, are all words to describe the kind of energy everyone of you has fueled me with.

Kassie and I met up with our running group, Personally Fit's Sole Sistas at 7:30am. Everyone was in ultra high spirits, feeling super amped up before the race. I was big ball of energy, there was a palpable excitement in the air!!

The weather turned out to be fairly mild- until the sun came out, then it was hot. That's November in southern Louisiana for ya.  After a quick warm up, we headed to the starting line. They didn't divide runners based on time, but there were signs, so that people with similar time goals could run together, with the fastest runners near the starting line. About five of us stood with the under 50 minutes group (HAHA). This is what it looked like at the start:


People on top of people on top of people. We were all sardined in there together. We said the pledge of Allegiance and sang the National Anthem, I was expecting a gun shot to sound off the start of the race, but instead someone yelled into a microphone "Gggggoooo" it felt a little anticlimactic but whatever. It took a few about 30 seconds to actually reach the starting line due to the crowd, however, our race bibs contained a tracking device that record exact time from start to finish. How cool is that?

I ran with Marathon Mary (Running clinic training & Butts & Guts instructor I'm always talking about so we decided she needs her own name) for about a quarter of a mile, and we were moving fast, which is exactly what I wasn't supposed to do, but it felt soooo good. At a quarter of a mile she blasted into speedy Gonzales territory and she was gone pecan.

My first two miles I ran even 8:30 (crazy!). All the adrenaline and excitement really gets you going. After the first two miles however, I had to bring it down to about a 9:00 or I was going to sputter out of gas. Which would have been bad bad. I never once thought about stopping, I even passed up water until mile 3 and I really wanted it to dump down my back because I was wearing all black and the sun was beating down on me, and it was getting hot. At about mile 3.1, I saw a car drive by that I could have sworn was Princess Consuela Banana Hammock! I was so tickled to think she would be down there checking in on me on a bright Saturday morning. Seriously flattered. About mile 3.5 the heat was really starting to get to me, but I could see shade approaching soon so I was focused on that. About that time I looked to my right, and there on side of the road were two of my very most important people in my life. Shaking signs, cheering, and taking pictures.


Princess Consuela Banana Hammock & Madeline were there standing on the side of the road at 8:30 in the morning on a Saturday, shaking signs and cheering for me. I was so touched by the their thoughtfulness and they could not have picked a better place in the route to give me an extra boost. I felt like the luckiest person on that route, I was able to maintain my speed and ride on their enthusiasm for at least a mile and a half. It was such an unexpected surprise. I really have been blessed with an amazing support system. Oh and this is what I really look like when I'm running. It ain't that cute.


About this time I started to really focus on my goal. I was hot and getting thirsty, however, I kept my eye on the prize, finish in under an hour. I was certain I could achieve this, I was right on pace for an hour finish. Like Madeline's sign said "Go hard in the paint". Pre-race I was mostly concerned with pacing- running the first mile to fast, which I did run to fast, and I was very concerned with the .2 miles on the end of the 10k, because it isn't an even 6 miles, it's 6.2, so I knew I had to get ahead of the those .2 miles early on. I continued maintaining my pace, and at the 55 minute mark I was at 5.8 miles, I really had to start coaching myself at this point. I kicked up the speed and got to pounding. I thought about all kinds of things, mainly about just how far I've come. About how much I love running, about happiness and inner peace, about this new path in life I'm building for myself, and I thought about less serious things like margaritas, skinny jeans, and buying size fours. I thought about how exciting running the half marathon will be, and I kept pushing. I kept seeing 1:00.00 flashing across my brain, must keep running. I have to be honest,  It was rough. I was getting extremely thirsty, and my body was pissed at me for pushing it so hard, but damn it, I was going to get that goal. I turned the last corner and I saw the finish, I started hauling ass. I wanted to finish strong. It hurt, my legs were fatigued, and I was swallowing dry spit, but with the end in sight, I powered through. There were so many people standing around cheering, and you really feel they're doing it all for you. Even though there were about ten other people finishing around the same time as me. Crossing that finish line at 1:00.10 was the most empowering feeling. I think I'm still riding on runner's high today. My husband was there waiting for me with a big bear hug, my running coaches were leaning over the guard rails cheering their faces off, two of my best friends were there with their signs and big smiles and I felt so proud, loved, supported, and happy. It felt like walking on sunshine. I can not wait to do it again.



Post race, our group stood by the guard rail and cheered for each and everyone of our Sole Sistas as they crossed the finish line. It was such an amazing experience, I felt out of body happy for at least 8 hours.  If you were even considering training for a long run, stop thinking about it and just do it. Nothing and I mean nothing could've knocked me off my high this day. This has got to be one the most incredible experiences I have ever had in my life. I'm more amped than ever before about running the Rock n Roll in February. I know it will make this day look like Chucky Cheese compared to Disney World.
                                                                 
                                                                    Mr. and Mrs. Noel


Kassie and I


Marathon Mary and I post Race- She finished in 52 minutes. Let's hear it for that girl! Crazy fast!


All the Sole Sista's at the finish line- We did it!



There's so much activity going on Race Day, awards are given out, everyone is trying to find their official time, there are lots of people out prompting other runs, and right after the race, you're so high it's like "Hell yeah! sign me up for every tang!"

They even had this nice couple out from Fournier Chiropractic & Rehab Center streching runners absolutely for free. I've never even visited a Chiropractor before, but I think I may start. This felt amazing. You don't care that someone you don't know is all up in your kool-aid, because it felt so good.


Next, our whole group went out to lunch together. I ordered two Skinny Mojitos (Requested Club Soda) and a seafood Quesildilla without sour cream or guacamole. I think I was a little drunk after lunch, not sure if it was the runner's high or the mojitoes but damn this was a great day, I was super high. That's all I can say :)



Then I went home and slept for 2 hours, sheesh this was a great day. I want to do it all over again. Saturday night, we went out to celebrating some more with friends. We stayed out too late, drank too much, I danced my face off, it was so much fun! Rewarding myself, for a job well done!



Cajun Cup Running Playlist

Miracle- Matisyahu
One More Night- Maroon 5
Vegas Girl- Conor Maynard
I Cry- Flo Rida
Bangarang (Feat Sia)- Skrillex
Locked out of Heaven- Bruno Mars
Say Somethin- Austin Mahone
Some Nights- Fun
Red- Taylor Swift
I Knew You Were Trouble- Taylor Swift
Diamonds- Rihanna
2 Reasons (feat T.I.)- Trey Songz
Numb- Usher
Rest of My Life- Ludacris
Bang Bang- K'naan & Adam Levine
Gangnam Style- PSY
Black or White- Michael Jackson
Gettin' Jiggy Wit It- Will Smith

Because this post is getting crazy long- look for part 2 sometime today. Plus weekly work out goals, and my running plan for in between trainings- Half Marathon training kicks off December 1st!


Daily Motivator

17 comments:

  1. Congrats to you, girlfriend!!! I'm an embarrassingly horrible runner so I have so much respect for you for pushing yourself and accomplishing such a big goal! You deserve a million celebratory drinks if that's what your little heart desires. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can only imagine what I acutally look like running...
    awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job! I was stalking you on FB all weekend to see if you reached your goal and I'm not surprised to see you did! I even got a little teary eyed reading this post--I could feel some of your emotions! My sister Kara and I started our own fitness blog if you want to check it out! www.pgsisters.blogspot.com

    Keep Rockin' it out Elle Noel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! This is such a big accomplishment! I know you will rock out that 13.1! Pumped about getting to hear about the journey! You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats! You are such an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Go girl! Your enthusiasm is absolutely contagious! Awesome job meeting your goal!

    My personal favorite part of this post is your playlist and the fact that you have MJ "Black or White" on it. That is one of my FAVORITE songs ever and I still get goosebumps when I hear it! I love to think of you blasting towards that finish line with a little boost from the man MJ :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Way to go girl! Thought about you this weekend and was cheering you on (inside my crazy head) all the way from Chicago . . . onto 13.1!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats!! Your time/pace was AWESOME!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, this post makes me so happy! You look so proud in that picture of you and Mr. Noel at the race. Great job on your AMAZING finish time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Personally I think you look amazing!! congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Way to go!!! Amazing job! Woot! Woot! You look great too! :) Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Way to go, Chick-A-Dee!!! So glad you achieved your goal. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome job! I love that you got stretched. This never happens at my races!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You rock!!!! You are sooooooo fast, that time is amazing!!!! I need a good stretching ;) lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You go girl!!!! So proud for you :). You totally inspire me to run faster :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved reading your race re-cap SO much! You are such an inspiration! And the comment about someone being "all up in your kool aid" had me laughing out loud!

    ReplyDelete