Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Starch Substitutes and other Tomfoolery

Thank you thank you thank you to each and everyone of you for all of the kind words yesterday in regards to my Best Weekend Ever posts. I'd love to say I'm still on Runner's High today, but unfortunately, I'm getting sick. JOY! I definitely was feeling uber cocky about "not getting sick this year" as if running magically turned my immune system into some kind of impenetrable super shield. It didn't, I am one bad ass biotch, but I can still get sick. I skipped my morning work out, but I'll still get in my afternoon run. Popping air borne tablet's like hot rocks this morning. Finger's crossed, I've got the Color Run this weekend in NOLA and I've been looking forward to it for months. Can. Not. Get. Sick.

Random things worth discussing, I tried to get creative last night with a butternut squash. I baked it at 350 for about 40 minutes. It was getting late and I was getting tired, so I ended up being really uncreative and tossing some shredded Parmesan cheese on top and calling it a night. It was still delicious- sweet potato like-, but I'll do better next time. I served it with steamed broccoli and left over pork roast from Sunday dinner.


Last week, I told y'all about skinny rice dressing, I haven't had a chance to make it on my own just yet, but I feel you need this recipe pre-Thanksgiving next week. yes, Thanksgiving is NEXT WEEK! I did get to sample the dressing, and it's crazy delicious and guilt free! This makes my inner chunky girl very very happy. I'll be making some for my holiday get together next week. I'll keep the cauliflower rice part to myself and see if anyone notices, tee hee :)

Rice Cauliflower
Chop cauliflower in processor until consistency of rice. Put in microwave safe dish with lid and
microwave for 8 minutes.

Cauliflower Stuffing
4 cups rice cauliflower 1 lb. ground turkey
½
lb. Italian fresh Italian sausage, casing removed 2 stalks of celery, chopped
½
med onion, chopped 2 fresh sage leaves, chopped fine
1 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped 1 tsp fresh Thyme, chopped
½
tsp dry sage 1 tsp canola oil
1 c chicken stock

In medium saucepan combine oil, onion, celery and fresh herbs and sautέ 3-5 minutes. Add sausage and turkey; brown. Add 1 cup chicken stock. Bring to boil. Stir into rice cauliflower. Salt and pepper to taste.



I hope to accomplish the impossible this year and lose weight over the holidays. I'm running two 5ks in the next week and I'm participating in Pile on The Miles through Run Eat Repeat. Are you? I set a goal to run 60 miles in November and I've run 22.37 thus far. I'm aiming to get in about 15 this week.
PileOnTheMiles


If I'm feeling better tomorrow morning, I'll make up this morning's missed work out then. If not, I'm not going to make myself any sicker just to get in two two-a-days this week. That's just dumb, and my Momma didn't raise no fool.

Running into work this morning all buddled up.
I will not get sick, I will not get sick, I will not get sick...



Daily Motivator
 

5 comments:

  1. I loved the color run! It was my first real (i.e. timed, organized event) 5k. It was so much fun! :) You will definitely get covered in color!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your blog! You are a major inspiration to me, especially to not let these holidays get the best of me. I have plans to still workout no matter what and to start setting goals for myself. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh, sickness GO AWAY!!! I swear by Acai berry syrup from the whole foods store, better than airborne!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! Get better, boss lady!

    By the way, do you follow the Eat Yourself Skinny blog? Today's post featured butternut squash and looked delicious. I saw your squash on Instagram last night, so when I read the post, I thought of you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want dinner at your house one night... Even on a no-carb day, you food posts always get me hungry!

    And if I was you, I'd still be on that weekend high, too. Plus I just saw on instagram that you did another 5.5 miles tonight. Such a badass.

    Enjoy your evening with Mr. Noel. Feel better and rest up. :)

    ReplyDelete