Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Answering No Carb Questions

In the last few days, I've received so many questions from you all about my every other carb day diet. My girl Kara in Indiana (How cool is it that this little Louisiana girl has friends in Indy!?) gave me the final push to write this post- she wants to know what a typical day looks like on a no-carb day. Turns out, lots of you do too, so here goes!

First, when I say no carbs- I am avoiding Gluten heavy products, ie bread and bread bi-products. Carbs are in everything you eat. Fruit, meat, veggies, etc. It would be nearly impossible to completely avoid them for an entire day without starving yourself. Raise your hand if you like the eating- Raises Hand, I love the eating!

I started the no carb every other day as it was suggested to my friend Kate by a trainer at our gym. I've been at shedding these last stubborn lbs for awhile now, so I thought what the heck gf, let's do this together! No carb every other day has also helped me to take control of my popcorn addiction. Win-win! I find myself feeling very light on no carb days and it's helped to curb my appetite in the evenings on carb days. That said, I don't go crazy on carb days and eat bread at every meal, I still limit my bread products, typically consuming the most at dinner. I love my skinny Tex-Mex. Cutting sugars, breads, and processed foods will help you to shed lbs more quickly. This is fact. While in the beginning, counting calories was enough, it's not getting the job done for me now. This new "program" I'm trying, however really is. I enjoy every other day no carbs, because if I'm really craving something like a taco, I can have it the next day, so I'm never feeling deprived of the foods I enjoy, which has also drastically reduced my desire to "eat something bad" or "cheat" my diet.

Disclaimer- I am not a nutritionist, I have no formal dietary education, I'm just a girl who figured out how to drop some pounds and feel freaking fabulous!

                                                          No Carb Breakfast Ideas

Egg Whites & Turkey Bacon

Breakfast/ Mid- Morning Snack

Egg Whites, Turkey Sausage, & Fresh Pineapple

Black Coffee with one cream & two splenda- Fruit & Yogurt Parfait (No Granola)/ Mid Morning Snack

Black Coffee with one cream & two splenda- Think Thin Bar

No Carb Lunch Ideas


I am a slave to Shakeology


Lunch on the Run- Where there is a will there is a way
Large Chili & a Garden Side Salad


Lettuce Wraps

No Carb Afternoon Snack Ideas - A Think Thin Bar & Vegetable


Ignore the coon-ass Ziploc bag



No Carb Day Dinner Ideas-

Dinner at the Noel house is tricky. This is the only meal of the day my husband and I eat the same things. I try to keep it creative so that he isn't bored with our meals and feeling like he's being forced to diet with me. There are days, where he'll jump ship and get pizza or other "contraband" as he calls it, but typically he eats what I prepare. I always have a meat- pork, beef, chicken, a vegetable- no salt added green beans, broccoli, vegetable stir fry- are favorites and a "mock" carb. Ie Spaghetti Squash & Mashed Cauliflower.

Rotisserie Chicken & Steamed Broccoli

Great Harvest Sausage Lentil Soup


Spaghetti- Lean Ground Beef & Spaghetti Squash


Mock Chicken Pasta


Pork Roast, Cauliflower mashed potatoes, & no salt added green beans

Crock Pot Pork Roast Instructions- Buy pre-seasoned pork roast, open package, dump in crock pot, fill crock pot with water half way submerging the meat, pour in one packet of pork gravy mix, close crock pot, turn on low, go about your business all day long. I turned mine on at 7am and turned it off at 7pm. This was an amazing dinner, and so freaking easy. Winning!

You can find links to all of these recipes on my Skinny Recipes tab!

I hope this answers most of your burning questions, if you want to see exactly what I'm eating each and every day please feel free to add me on My Fitness Pal, I share my daily diary with my friends. Thanks so much to all of you for the feedback! Let me know what you want me to talk about, and I'll answer these burning questions ASAP. I LOVE hearing from ya'll! It's probably the coolest part of writing this blog, meeting so many amazing new people :)

Oh and I can't in good conscience end this post without sharing this:

Be sure and cast your vote today and make your voice heard. BAM, That's my PSA for the day!


It's off to work I go- Happy Tuesday to each and every one of you!

Dress- LOFT
Shirt- Perfect Tee- The Limited
Jacket- JC Penny
Shoes- Rack Room Shoes

Find me on Facebook, Beachbody, Pinterest, Instagram @ellenoelfitness, and My Fitness Pal!

Daily Motivator



12 comments:

  1. Such a wealth of knowledge! I will definitely be making that roast sometime in the near future! I hope you are having a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for doing this post! I've been wondering the same thing for awhile now! I seriously wish I was more educated on FOOD in general I'm horrible at knowing what's what! You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so dedicated! I love the idea of every other day and not every day! I would really have to watch myself on the carb days though, I think I would go crazy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the eating, too!

    This looks completely doable! When I get closer to goal weight, like yourself, I might just whip out this trick!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow I love these options. I am trying this no carb thing too and guess what IT IS WORKING... Happy Election Day girl.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for doing this!! I'm Kara's sister from Ohio (so you've got another Midwestern friend) and we love your blog and like to talk about you like you're our friend :) We're running our first half marathon together in May and you've inspired us with your running posts and daily motivators!
    Thanks for all your inspiration and keep it up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome post - full of great ideas! This is just what I was looking for! And thanks for the shout out ^^^

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am going to make the spaghetti squash concoction tonight! Looks yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good info!! I may have to try this, it doesn't seem far off from what I'm doing now. Spaghetti squash is my new fav dinner, easy and delish!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gosh, I am such a foodie, but this seems possible. Like you said, if you are craving something, you know you can have it the next day. When I AM eating clean, I don't do any kind of bread or pasta-- and it makes such a huge difference in my mid-section.

    Great post, Leigh Ann!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for doing this! Eating clean did not work for me but I think this may be way better!
    Did I already say Thank you? Well thanks again we all appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete