Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Running for a Cause & Weekly Goals

Good morning and Happy Tuesday! Linking up with Aly yesterday was super fun, and hysterical. Be sure to check out every one's I Wore What?! pictures if you haven't already!

A few weeks ago, my very dear friend Princess Consuela Banana Hammock, insisted I do 5k with her on a Monday night. Say what? A Monday 5k, what's going on?

"Join us Monday, October 29, 2012, in your best Halloween costume, for a one mile walk or a three mile run to support SPC Zach Parker, Army Medic and triple amputee who was wounded in action"

Say no more friend, I am all over that. For the first time in months I skipped my usual R.I.P.P.E.D. class to participate in such an amazing cause. We didn't wear costumes, but I did wear a pair of candy corn socks and a pumpkin head band, which I wore running all 3.25 miles.

Don't be impressed, one girl ran in a wedding dress, another lady ran dressed as a chicken and she was pushing a stroller with her baby chick inside, I trailed a man in a zombie dress, and another girl ran in a sexy bee costume- all of those people smoked me.

Time wasn't overly important to me on this run. I wanted to beat my personal best 5k time which was 32:35 on October 6, 2012 when I was averaging 10:27 a mile. However, the goal didn't consume my thoughts, I didn't think about my time, I just took off running, when it felt good I ran faster, when it felt bad I slowed down, and when it came time to running downhill, I slowed down out of fear I would face plant - it was pointed out to me that I should have made that hill my friend, but oh well, I ran for fun.

At the very end, one of the trainers from running clinic hollered out to me (after I sissy girled the down hill) "MOVE IT LEIGH ANN!!!" I picked up the pace to full on sprint, it was FUN. This was not an emotional run for me, not like Saturday's run was. I really did leave all that self doubt and negativity on that last mile of my 5 mile run.

I am a runner now. I ran 3.25 miles in 30:36 averaging 9:25 per mile, smoking my previous run times, faster even than Saturday. Never ever underestimate yourself :)

Princess Consuela Banana Hammock and I Post Run


My next race will be the Cajun Cup 10K, we're into week 8 of training, and our last long group run is this Thursday, a 5.5 miler, then it's race time. I'm already itching to jump into half marathon training. These last 8 weeks of training for the 10k have been life changing for me, I never ever thought, that I would be a runner. I never understood how emotional running can be, and I certainly thought people who woke up early on Saturday morning's to go running were clinically insane. It easy to be judgemental from the drive thru at McDonald's- the only reason I used to leave home before 10am on a Saturday. Times they are a changing!

Weekly Work Out Goals-

Monday-
5k Monster Dash

Tuesday-
Speed Training
Abs & Butt Work

Wednesday-
Butts & Guts

Thursday-
Week 8 10K Training- 5.5 Mile Run

Friday-
AM Cross Training & Pinterest Challenge

Saturday-
5 Mile Fun Run & Ab Work

Sunday-
Rest

YES, I am taking out the two a days this week. I'm sure I'll jump back into them soon, but for now I want to back off a little bit, I don't want anything coming between me and my 10k Run Challenge- Finish in under an hour.

Burrrr it's been cold deep down south since that cold front rolled in last Friday. All bundled up for work this morning


Sending out thoughts and prayers of peace and comfort for those affected by hurricane Sandy on the east coast. May your lives return to normal as quickly as humanly possible!

Daily Motivator

6 comments:

  1. I loved your outfit - those Halloween runs are so flippin fun. YAY for you and your split times - awesome. AND... you ARE a runner girl and doesn't it feel GOOD??? LOL - Happy Tuesday my LEAN long legged friend;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a running machine! Seriously, your paces blow me away! Maybe I need to sign up for a running clinic...and grow a couple inches. How did you find your group?

    Congrats on your new PR!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kudos on beating your old time!!! That is alwasy so exciting. Cute outfit.:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute outfit! Just wanted to stop by and say hi. I'm a fan of your blog and on my own weight loss journey as well:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You weren't out there running in your flapper dress?! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete