Friday, September 21, 2012

My relationship with Running

As for the title of my post, yes, I am absolutely in a relationship with running.

My Husband has been made aware. He's cool with it ya'll.

Running clinic has finally kicked off! Last night our group of 18 , including instructors, took off on our first group run. We're all in this together, training for the Cajun Cup, 10K, on November 10th, 2012.

My first run went better than I could've possibly fathomed in my wildest dreams.

In the famous words of Forest Gump, "I just felt like running"

Until February of this year, I avoided running like it was going to give me an incurable skin rash and a deadly disease.

I HATED running.

In truth, I've never been a runner. Ever. Not even when I was in school and playing sports like basketball and volleyball.

I hated running.

I was always the slowest.

I always finished last.

I always tired most quickly, and frankly, that shit was just embarrassing.

So what changed?

In February of this year, my sista from another mista, Madeline, was tired of hearing my ass bitch about not dropping weight eager to help me reach my goal weight. We had just booked our big summer vacation and I didn't want to be the "big girl" on vacation. I just couldn't take feeling self conscience on vacation at the beach for a week straight. I had to dig deeper and give more to my weight loss agenda. She convinced me to split 12 weeks of personal training sessions with her, at FIVE AM on Monday and Wednesday mornings for 12 weeks.

GULP.

Previous to personal training, I had never been an early morning gym person, but whatever, sign me up!

It was time to give more.

Our first training session starts off with a half mile run. I'm pretty sure my mouth fell open and I thought to myself, "Am I really paying someone to boss me around like this? Pffff I don't need to run"

All I could think was, "I can't do this, I can't do this, I can't do this".

But I did it.

It took me 8 minutes to slowly run a half mile. I thought my lungs were going to collapse, but they didn't, I thought my shins would split open, but they didn't, running is hard ass work, but my thoughts slowly changed to "I CAN do this"

I still wouldn't consider myself a runner just yet. I wasn't running without being forced and coerced into it for a few more weeks.

In March, after not losing for several weeks, I challenged myself to a full eight days 10 work outs, no cheating on the diet, I was desperate to get the scale moving. I got on that scale, after all that work and nothing. Nada. No pounds lost.

Who knows why this happened, the female body is a crazy bitch nasty.

This happened on a Monday morning at 5am.

There were tears and a long, "I worked so hard what am I going to have to do to get the scale moving?!" bitch session conversation about what I needed to do and how to stay focused.

Honestly, I think our trainer was afraid she'd lose me to a bottle of red wine and bag of extra buttered popcorn and peanut butter M&M's and I'd never return to the gym again.

After that extremely emotional and disappointing weigh in that morning, I ran my ass to and from the gym that night. Exactly 1.5 miles round trip.

I did it again Tuesday night in addition to my regular work outs and diet plan. I ran, without any coercion from anyone else. It was quite literally soul cleansing, probably because I was so f*cking mad at the damn scale.

Wednesday morning, my trainer forced me onto the scale again. I did NOT want to weigh in again.

Holy Kanoles.

I had lost EIGHT pounds, and thus my love affair with running begins, because nothing is more motivating than a big fat "You are such a LOSER" weigh in!

After this weigh in, I'm running roughly 10 miles a week, never more than two or three miles at a time, consistently until I injured myself in Mid-July. FFFFF.

I was really pushing myself on the treadmill, trying to shave 26 seconds off my personal best mile 8:26, and I felt something pop in my left hip about 1.8 miles in.

What did I do?

I made a terrible, stupid, wish I could take it back, just plain awful decision.

I kept running.

I haven't run more than a mile since. In all actuality I should've taken a break from working out all together. I'm just way to stubborn, and entirely too close to my goal to give up or rest now, partially out of fear I'll never start back up again.

I live in constant fear that I'm one fast food run away from the fat, unhappy, miserable, constantly self-conscience Elle Noel, and I never ever want to be that girl again.

Present day- After a month of walking like a Thriller video extra, hours of stretching, and popping anti-inflammatory like hot rocks. I'm back at running again.

Running clinic day one- 3mile group run.

We did warm ups and stretching that I had never done previously, the instructor gave tips on running form, that had never crossed my mind. I was feeling great. Zero pain. Ready to run.

A half a mile in, I was leading the pack. At a mile and half, I looked behind me and saw the instructor running towards me, sprinting away from the quickly dwindling group.

"I'm not going to see you again after this because I won't be able to catch your ass, but you are rocking it!! Keep going!!!'"

We actually had a full conversation, about running, where I was going to do my next run, scheduled for Saturday, and what our previous running times were. A full conversation, and we never stopped running.

Who am I?

Another quarter mile and I was all alone. Just me and Rhianna.

I lie, I crossed a girl out walking her dog and we waved to one another.

Just me and the pavement.

My last mile was slow. We ran without water, and I was literally smacking my lips together and swallowing dry spit. It was UGLY.

Next run, I'll bring water.

I finished my first real run in 2 months.

I felt like a beastly boss lady, runner's high is really the only way to describe it.

While it's absolutely not a race, and I know there are people out there in the world running circles around my ass.....

For the first time in my entire life,

I finished first.

I even cried a little bitty bit.

Then I found some water and got to chugging.


The next run on our training schedule is a 2.5 miler on Saturday. I plan to wake up early and pound it out.

I want to hear your stories! What's your realtionship with running like?

For the sake of consistency- the weekly weigh-in-

1 whole pound lost. I am over the moon with this progress!

Representing my Ragin Cajuns in White & Red this morning! I really love me some football season ya'll!


Wishing you a very TGIF out of the park kind of day!
Daily Motivator

6 comments:

  1. Can I admit I teared up reading this, this morning. You are doing so awesome - so so so awesome. I also swallow my spit when running. Now I remember to bring water and just sit it out there somewhere and run FAST to get to it:) Awesome stuff girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I just say, you are the bomb.com!

    You're like a gazelle, just running gracefully (and fast as hell) along. Such an inspiration, seriously!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You go girl! I hate running but I have always WANTED. To love it. Maybe after this baby.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great post!!! I felt the exact same way about running, until I forced into it and now i couldn't imagine not doing it :) I STILL get that feeling you got after your run to this day, THAT'S what keeps me going!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great stuff....I would really love to find a runners group like that! maybe I should just start my own!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Catching up on your amazing story and I just have to say you are incredibly inspirational! Keep it up - I look forward to reading your blog everyday!

    ReplyDelete