Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Defeating the "Don't Wants"

Good morning and Happy Tuesday! It's no longer Monday so be happy!! I've been having a rough couple of days over here in my fat burning quest. I've been suffering from a very severe case of stage 4 level "don't wants". I "don't want" to work out and I "don't want" to eat right. Yesterday afternoon the "don't wants" were so intense, I nearly stayed home, got in bed, and watched TV after work. I don't know what the heck is up with me, but I was feeling LAZY. I had to force myself to change into my gym cloths and get to Personally Fit for the 5:30 class. Honestly, my Ruffles with Love  "Train Insane or Stay the Same" shirt pulled me through that funk. My endurance level seems to have finally returned from my post cleanse week and I ended up getting in a real beast of a work out last night. About 2 minutes into the warm up I thought to myself " I'm so HAPPY I'm here!" I can't believe I seriously entertained the thought of staying home and being a lazy daisy. That certainly wouldn't have perked up my energy level. Geez. Some days, it takes digging way deep down into the darkest depths of my " please let me wake up a hot sexy super model tomorrow morning" bag to pull a work out off, but I'll be damned if I didn't do it! I had to sit out of 337 Fit Club last night, because my cabinets and refrigerator had become barren over the last week. I know I said I was going to cut back on my popcorn intake, and I swear I will keep it to one bag a day. Pinkie promise, I will do this. This box of popcorn literally jumped off the shelf and into my basket, " Elle Noel, please puhlease take me home with you!!! I'm only 68 calories for an entire bag!!!". (sweet use of personification right there huh!?) How was I supposed to say no to that? Can't be heartless ya'll!


I also decided to make one of my favorite go to skinny recipes last night, Weight Watchers Bubble Up Enchiladas. I've made this on several different occasions and it's a favorite because it only calls for 5 ingredients, so I don't even have to look at a recipe anymore. Plus, this is a really quick and easy skinny meal. Who doesn't like quick and easy? * No one raises their hand*

I couldn't find regular reduced fat dinner rolls at Wal Mart, I usually buy them from Albertsons, so I had to sub them out for reduced fat Crescent Rolls. It tasted exactly the same as it does with the dinner rolls, switching the two wasn't a big deal. I also used one cup of Reduced Fat Mexican Cheese. I bake mine at 350 for roughly 25 minutes.


I served myself 1/6 of the recipe and two cups of steamed broccoli for a grand total 373 calories. Not bad for a days work! Have you noticed the "skinny" Mexican theme? Living without cheese and carbs just isn't living at all. I have to give myself these things to avoid making poor eating decisions of epic proportions.


I had to get in Tuesday's work out early this morning, because we have plans this evening. Guess what happened when my alarm clock went off? The "don't wants" struck again. I'm not sure what the deal is but these past couple of days have been extremely difficult for me to keep myself motivated. I had to use one leg to kick the other out of bed this morning. I forced myself to get to the gym, but I did it. I went to the gym and did 35 minutes on the elliptical, 10 minutes on the stair master, and 30 minutes of butt, legs, and abs. It was one of the hardest work outs I've ever done, and that's simply because, I really didn't want to be there. I felt like a million bucks afterwards, because that's how exercise makes you feel. Quite simply, amazing. Inside and out. I'm super glad I got out of bed, but the effort behind the task felt herculean. Here I am post work out- all sweaty and sassy!


I'm telling ya'll about the my "don't wants" because I want you to know there are days we all have them no matter who you are, where you come from, or what your goals are. There are some days where you're too tired and "don't want" to work for your goal. We all stagger and lose focus at times, but perseverance and habit will keep you going. Outside factors can continuously disrupt your your ability to stay on track, but ultimately you have the ability to control your life. Always remember that your life belongs to you and no one else. Don't let those outside factors take over your day, block it out and keep pushing yourself towards your goal- whatever it may be. Constantly remind yourself just how badly you want to succeed. I had a friend tell me several months back, and he has no idea the impact this simple sentence in casual conversation has made on my life- I'm willing to bet he doesn't even remember saying this to me, "Just keep going, you WILL get there".  It's that simple, and that basic. Keep going, keep giving, keep pushing yourself, and you will get there. You WILL and you CAN. Some days will be easier than others, some days will be down right beastly and ugly. It won't always be pretty, but you WILL get there. Yesterday, in the middle of my intense "don't wants", I was browsing through news feed and one of my favorite motivators, Chalene Johnson- Beachbody Trainer, Coach, Fitness Guru, and all around kick butt human being- made a Facebook post that I really needed to see.


When you're fighting, clawing, digging, pushing, crying, sweating, and giving all of yourself to a goal there's going to be great days where you're flying high on sucess and there's going to be epically aweful days when you want to give up, because it's just too hard. What's important is that you continue to believe in yourself. That's what I plan to do, just keep pushing myself. I choose happiness and demand success from myself,  in all aspects of my life. Take that, "don't wants"!!!

I also want to address one other issue that's been plaguing me. Recently, I've been hearing this statement with rapidly increasing frequency, "Everyone says if I do X and X and X, the weight will fall off!! Everyone says the weight will just fall off!"

This bothers me for three reasons.
  1. I've never ever seen excess weight fall off of anyone. Ever. You probably aren't going to lose 15 pounds week one or two or even three of a diet and exercise plan. You just won't. It took you longer than a week to gain it, it's going to take longer than a week to lose it. Slow and steady wins the race!
  2. Who is "Everyone"? Whenever "Everyone" is saying something, I usually assume these facts to be untrue. I'm seriously skeptical of the almighty "Everyone".
  3. The statement, "Everyone says the weight will just fall off!" makes a seriously inaccurate insinuation. This statement implies that weight loss is easy. Warning- I'm about to tell you something you're really not going to like. Weight loss is NOT easy. It takes a lot of consistent hard work. End of story. Stop looking for a short cut, it doesn't exist. Believe me, I've tried all the magic pills, sprays, and fad diets. While some may work in the short term, you aren't going to have long term success. That's the truth. I know it hurts. If weight loss were easy, "Everyone" would be doing it and "Everyone" would be the healthiest version of themselves. See why I'm skeptical of the almighty 'Everyone"?
I hope I haven't offended anyone with my little rant, just keeping it real folks! Now excuse me as I step down from my soap box. I have 11 more pounds I want to lose! 

FYI- Today's daily motivator is one that I really need to see today!

I hope you all have a super great productive day! Kick those "don't wants" to the curb! The power is all yours!


Daily Motivator





No comments:

Post a Comment